• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

So we cooked our first paid wedding last weekend

Stoke&Smoke

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
My oldest son gave some good freinds of his our names as a possible source of food for thier wedding. Young couple, looking to have a fairly casual wedding outdoors on another freinds large piece of property.

We got together with them several weeks ago with some samples of our food, to talk over their needs and wants. They wanted a luau style theme, and the original agreement was for pulled pork, huli huli chicken, and 6 sides, a vinegar based slaw (to go with the pork) baked beans, a tropical sweet potato/coconut mash, Pasta Primavera, tomato, cucumber, sweet onion and mango salad, a tropical island rice dish.

About 9 days before the event, they changed it and removed the chicken and rice dishes from the menu, so we added more pork to our shopping list.

Fired up the 22" and one 18" WSM Friday afternoon and cooked up 12 pork butts, at about 9 lb. a piece. 8 in the 22" and 4 in the 18

We made the slaw Friday evening to let the flavors develop in the fridge, the rest we made fresh Saturday morning.

Took one of 2 bacon explosions I made 2 weekends ago at Westmont
bexpl.jpg

Used that along with some chopped brisket and pulled pork in the beans

Don't have photos from the cooking phase as we were just too dang busy!

When we arrived at the site, we found that, instead of being indoors as we'd been told, the whole thing was in a tent outside, no running water or electricity!:eek::eek::eek:

We hauled the carlisles in to the tent and set it all up anyway, and it went great! They ended up only having about 90 of the 130 expected guests, but everyone seemed to love all the food, some came back 4 and 5 times!

Pics we have are below. We didn't do the cake but I took a couple of shots as I thought the whole Tiki thing was kind of cool! Mods, if the photos are too large, the link for the album is below

http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn21/2SkinnyCooks/Wedding photos/

outsidetent.jpg

table1.jpg

table2.jpg

table3.jpg

cake1.jpg

Way to go! Something always goes haywire when catering, especially weddings. A flawless event is rare. Goal is that the client has no clue!

Thanks Steph!

It was a little more work on our part, but not that bad. We'd hoped to have electricity and at least a water supply for the chafing dishes, but it all worked out.

Now maybe we can reinvest some of the $ in nicer chafing setups for next time! Was really nice having folks go out of their way complimenting the food and asking for business cards!:biggrin:

I think overall, I would prefer smaller crowds, as this was a lot of work for just the wife and I. But I would do it again if asked.

I have to say, as fun as comps are, it's a lot nicer getting paid than competing and hoping to at least break even. The cash for this was like getting a couple top 3 calls in a comp!

Congrats on what looks like a GREAT first paid wedding gig! Any left over meat can be shipped my way, right?

Thanks Steph!

It was a little more work on our part, but not that bad. We'd hoped to have electricity and at least a water supply for the chafing dishes, but it all worked out.

Now maybe we can reinvest some of the $ in nicer chafing setups for next time! Was really nice having folks go out of their way complimenting the food and asking for business cards!:biggrin:

I think overall, I would prefer smaller crowds, as this was a lot of work for just the wife and I. But I would do it again if asked.

I have to say, as fun as comps are, it's a lot nicer getting paid than competing and hoping to at least break even. The cash for this was like getting a couple top 3 calls in a comp!

I will agree with you on the getting paid thing for sure. I started out with the wire frames and gradually got the nicer ones from Costco. A group could not pay me directly for services due to a rule and they gave me 4 nice chafers from Costco as payment. Do me a favor and do not get the cheap chafers with black handles, save enough for the all metal chafers please:biggrin:

All looks good. I have a question about them cheap chafers. How warm does the food stay with them two cans under the pans? I've seen them at Sams.

All looks good. I have a question about them cheap chafers. How warm does the food stay with them two cans under the pans? I've seen them at Sams.

I use them all the time (including the fuel cans from Sams - Sterno SUCK comparably!). Food stays hot as hell. If it's windy or cold, we wrap foil around the wire racks to help hold heat. Works like a charm. Although, I'd guess if you really want to look professional, you'll save up for the real deal! I wish I could afford 'em!

Thanks for the info Jeff in KC, I also should include, how long does two cans last?

Cans are supposed to burn 3 hours. We had food out for 3 but there was still fuel left when we extinguished them. As someone else mentioned, the liquid alcohol ones seem to work much better than the sterno, and you can adjust the heat a bit by pulling the wick out a little more. Sterno has only one temp.

We do hope to gradually switch over to the nicer chafers, but these work, and if a customer wants to keep them they aren't that expensive and can be priced into the order.

Way to go! I'd hate to do that for a living, especially with all the tension going on at a wedding!
I envy you guys though and had an idea and went with the plan on my recent cook for my sons Frat party and my end went pretty smooth. You made it look easy!

Back