***VOTE - BBQ Brethren "Cast Iron" Throwdown - VOTE***

Who should win the BBQ Brethren "Cast Iron" Throwdown?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dont consider cooking on a Cast Iron Grate.....Cast Iron Cooking....

Well, in the intro to the Throwdown entry thread, CI "grates" were specifically mentioned.

Dang they all look great. I thought we had to have a picture of the CI included.

Yeah, I went one further and thought the entry photo should show something cast iron because after all it was the theme of the Throwdown.

The picture of my cast iron is in the cooking thread along with several other pictures of the process.

I for one think there is a very big difference in cooking in cast iron and cooking on a grill with cast iron grates. I entered knowing the rules though and knew going in what I was going to see, but it was still fun. Not everyone on the forum can cook over a live fire in the backyard so the inclusion of cast iron grates was more to broaden the field and include more members than anything else, and that's cool with me. I do wish we could all take as nice a picture as some of the others can.

You did a wonderful job with your collection of photos, and based on my interpretation above regarding showing CI in the entry, (plus the way I critique the Throwdown photos) my favorite ones of yours were your table shot (the one with the full plate in the foreground) and the shot with the hot pad on the lid of the Dutch oven.

When I looked through the entry thread, there were two other photographs I thought had a real good shot at stealing the whole show. One was Bob Brisket's Double Dutch oven shot, which he did select as an entry photo. It said it all and made me wish I was sitting in his backyard.... and the other was Swibirun's grate shot, which was not selected for entry. He had cast iron in that photo, captured all the photo attributes I look for, I liked the smoke and the color from the coals, and although that steak was very pretty, I think he showed us the grilling of the onions at a critical moment of the cook. I actually felt like reaching into that picture and giving those onions a stir. heheee.

I don't really care grill vs. pan, once I thought about it. I had fun doing it, it made me buy a c.i. pan(finally) and I tried a recipe I probably would have never tried...And it was a huge hit with the family and friends. I can't really ask for more:-D

I don't really care grill vs. pan, once I thought about it. I had fun doing it, it made me buy a c.i. pan(finally) and I tried a recipe I probably would have never tried...And it was a huge hit with the family and friends. I can't really ask for more:-D

Bada-bing, Bada-boom. Truer words...

Mike D

I had assumed that the entries would show what they were cooked on? Great looking food nonetheless..

I had to go with Knucklheds Pineapple Upside down cake also. It was a teaching moment for me. I have the exact cast iron pot, that is not a dutch oven because the lid is rounded upwards and wont hold coals. But Knucklhed showed me with a little ingeninity that wrapping the lid with foil and turning it upside down the same results could be obtained. I duplicated this cake in my cast iron pot on Sat, and the family said it was the best pineapple upside down cake they ever had. Thx Knucklhed!

Wow. For once I didn't even have to think. The pineapple upside down cake was it as soon as I saw it. (I did look at the rest of the entries to make sure). :thumb:

Thanks Guerry! I think Pineapple nds!p3 Down Cake is one of those thing you've got to have had or really love in order to appreciate such an ugly ass cake!!

Pineapple upside down cake scores VERY high in uniqueness and difficulty, but lower in drool.

Thanks i(Gore)! If you had a slice in front of you, there would be more drool, trust me!
I had to go with Knucklheds Pineapple Upside down cake also. It was a teaching moment for me. I have the exact cast iron pot, that is not a dutch oven because the lid is rounded upwards and wont hold coals. But Knucklhed showed me with a little ingeninity that wrapping the lid with foil and turning it upside down the same results could be obtained. I duplicated this cake in my cast iron pot on Sat, and the family said it was the best pineapple upside down cake they ever had. Thx Knucklhed!

Glad it turned out well for you!! Wasn't so hard after all was it?? I'll be making this cake this summer when camping with the fam for sure!
Need pics!! :thumb:
BTW - I did NOT turn the lid upside down... I left the lid right side up & sealed. I just made a ring (halo mod) that just sat on top to hold the coals in place... I guess your way worked pretty good tho too! :clap2:

Thanks for the votes guys, but damn it! I was really hoping to either WIN this sucker (not likely) OR make my way into the Zip-Zero-Zilch club!!

I made the ugliest cake possible and you punish me with votes! :rolleyes:
Thank you! :becky:

Go figure, I make what I consider to be on of the prettiest cakes (Certainly the prettiest I've ever made) and they punish me with no votes?

BTW I consider your PUD Cake very good looking. Mind if I pull some?:laugh:

Mike D

I guess it was just my interpretation of the Throwdown, but in a cast iron throwdown, I gotta see some cast iron in the entry. I had to go with the variety of Rolf's on this one...even though all of the entries looked tasty.

Did ya' check out the original thread that Bigabyte linked to? These are just the entry pics. The other thread has all the CI you can handle! :becky:

I don't really care grill vs. pan, once I thought about it. I had fun doing it, it made me buy a c.i. pan(finally) and I tried a recipe I probably would have never tried...And it was a huge hit with the family and friends. I can't really ask for more
I used CI plates, where does that put me? :confused: LoL

That's the right attitude:thumb: I’ve learned a bunch from this throwdown. I’ll be stopping by the Lodge CI outlet store for more stuff this weekend, so I can try a few of these..

Anyone who gets bent out of shape over an internet cooking contest where no one tastes the food and no one wins any money needs to re-examine their priorities.

This is for giggles between e-friends, y'all :)

Did ya' check out the original thread that Bigabyte linked to? These are just the entry pics. The other thread has all the CI you can handle! :becky:

I looked at the original thread and checked out all of the CI, and all of the wonderful things that were cooked in/on them. For my vote, I guess that I wanted the entry shot to show what the theme was. Like if you just looked at the collection of entries, you could guess the theme. I am not trying to bag on the entries who didn't show CI in thier entry shots, especialy since many of the entries had CI shown in supporting shots in the original thread. I just look at it as this...if it is a beef throwdown, I better see some beef in the entry shot. Just my two cents. Great entries by everyone though...I wouldn't expect the Brethren to come up with less.

Even though I voted for rolf, the PUD cake made up my mind to go out and get me some CI!!!

T

Go figure, I make what I consider to be on of the prettiest cakes (Certainly the prettiest I've ever made) and they punish me with no votes?

BTW I consider your PUD Cake very good looking. Mind if I pull some?:laugh:

Mike D

Did I mention "bacon" in my criteria? I guess not. Creative use of bacon is always worth points. Now if you had put those cakes of yours in a bacon-weave, I think you'd have really scored big time. Bacon just wasn't prominently featured in this one though.

K-Hed, I know what you're saying and it looks fabulous -- you're selling yourself short if you think it's ugly -- but Master is the dessert person in this castle. I'll gladly pass over dessert for meat, but I'm still debating.

:wink:
I looked at the original thread and checked out all of the CI, and all of the wonderful things that were cooked in/on them. For my vote, I guess that I wanted the entry shot to show what the theme was. Like if you just looked at the collection of entries, you could guess the theme. I am not trying to bag on the entries who didn't show CI in thier entry shots, especialy since many of the entries had CI shown in supporting shots in the original thread. I just look at it as this...if it is a beef throwdown, I better see some beef in the entry shot. Just my two cents. Great entries by everyone though...I wouldn't expect the Brethren to come up with less.

Yeah, I agree I guess,how I voted shows that. I just couldn't figure out a good way to do it, my cook involved a couple of pieces of CI that I didn't think would look right with my presentation. Thanks for the feedback, and for looking:becky:

Anyone who gets bent out of shape over an internet cooking contest where no one tastes the food and no one wins any money needs to re-examine their priorities.

Hah... If you've got the BBQ Bug, you just gotta do it! It's such great fun and it's really satisfying... win... lose who cares.

Can't wait to see your first entry!

Cheers!

Bruces!

All these entries are sensational. I couldn't pick. I had to have a serious think about this. The main issue here is that we've become professional foodie photographers. That photo by Rolf is the most beautiful food photo I've seen probably ever, but then I thought... hang on, that looks good, but which one do I really want to EAT! Dammit... I thought, that means I have to go back and look at the thread to see what everything was again... So I only just voted for Bob Brisket... man nice photo's but WOW, beef and pork and cast iron baked bread, all cooked over an open fire... Now that's just 'Q back to it's basic roots and I really wanted to try that. Cracklin' George.... CLOSE second.. I'd hit that broth and dumplings big time.

Can I have the recipes????

Cheers!

Bill

you don't win money but you win a chance to get your photo in a brethren calendar. everything changed when that new twist was introduced.

The discussion is quite interesting. Its sort of a "free association". If someone says X, I expect Y, and if I see a twist on it, also great.
Cast iron might mean dutch oven, searing steaks or skillets. The creative twist being knucklheads pineapple cake, didnt really expect that one.
Thanks again for all the kind words, it was a really lucky shot. The rest of the pics I took are quite smoky, but in this one there is just that small wisp of smoke.

Back