Peruvian Chicken (Pron)

KennesawBBQ

Reaction score
This recipe came across my NYT Cooking feed. Thought I would give it a try.

Ingredients

Marinated for 7 hours. Patted dry then brushed with Avocado Oil.

Onto the Rec Tec at 325. This is after 1 hour. Flipped once skin side down for about 45 minutes during the 2 hour cook.

Ready for a 10 minute rest.

Served with semi mashed gold potatoes roasted with duck fat, salt, pepper, garlic powder, tyme, oregano and roasted cauliflower with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder powder. Side of cilantro dipping sauce.

Turned out really good - a few changes next time. I will marinate overnight as it lacked flavor penetration. I will add more aji amarillo, pasilla, and soy sauce. Lacked spice and salt. I would also add more spice to the dipping sauce.

Ingredient list:
6 garlic cloves, finely grated or minced
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon aji amarillo paste or another chile paste such as sriracha or sambal
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 teaspoon aji panca paste or 1 teaspoon pasilla chile powder
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
1 (3 1/2- to 4 1/2-pound) chicken, halved (see Note) or 4 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken parts
Extra-virgin olive oil, as needed

FOR THE SAUCE:
1 cup cilantro leaves and tender stems
3 to 4 jalapeños, seeded and diced
¼ cup/1 ounce crumbled feta cheese
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 ½ tablespoons lime juice, more to taste
2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano or basil
¾ teaspoon fine sea salt, more to taste
½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
½ tablespoon aji amarillo or other chile paste (see headnote)
½ teaspoon honey
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
Lime wedges, for garnish

For the marinade: In a large bowl, whisk together garlic, soy sauce, aji amarillo paste, lime juice, aji panca paste, mustard, cumin, pepper and salt.
Add chicken halves, turning to coat them all over with marinade. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours and up to 12 hours.

To make the sauce. In a blender, blend cilantro, jalapeños, feta, garlic, lime juice, oregano, salt, mustard, aji amarillo paste, honey, and cumin until smooth. With the motor running, slowly drizzle in oil until mixture is emulsified. Taste and adjust the seasonings with salt or lime juice or both.

Last edited:
Ugh...thanks. Trying to fix the pictures.

Pictures are showing now, everything looks great!

I've found few recipes where I felt the flavors were to my satisfaction on the first try - with your added adjustments, you'll be well on your way. Thanks for sharing this!

:thumb:

Great looking plate!

Thanks for the feedback on the recipes, I'll keep them in mind when I make my attempt.

Nice looking chicken. How do you like that brand of coarse pepper? I've seen it at Academy and thought about purchasing it a couple times.

Nice looking chicken. How do you like that brand of coarse pepper? I've seen it at Academy and thought about purchasing it a couple times.

IMO, all fiesta spices are good. It's just a matter of how long they've been sitting on the store shelf. A place with higher turnover will have fresher spices than a sporting goods store (my best guess).

And yes, that chicken looks tasty. I'd hit it hard.

IMO, all fiesta spices are good. It's just a matter of how long they've been sitting on the store shelf. A place with higher turnover will have fresher spices than a sporting goods store (my best guess).

Sounds like you haven't browsed Academy's outdoor cooking section. Every outdoor cooker that has an Academy nearby needs to have a look see.:mrgreen:

Here's a list of their seasonings.
https://www.academy.com/shop/browse...ades-spices--seasonings?searchterm=seasonings

Back