MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:46 PM   #1
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob
Default Boshizzle Inspired Corn Cakes........

I had some cornbread mix in the pantry. It was a lazy Sunday afternoon. I had the game on, tunes going, SJ smoking.........just had to try em. Kids went nuts for em!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=116535

I was too lazy to dig out the CI pan from the trailer....so, just used the lid from my DO.

These are on the repeat menu! Thanks for the idea, Brother. They were a hit!

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2011, 09:52 PM   #2
jgbmgb
is one Smokin' Farker

Reminds me of when I was small and we had the corncakes from the skillet!!! They were great! Looks delicious!

Old 09-18-2011, 10:17 PM   #3
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

That sure looks good from here

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2011, 11:23 PM   #4
tamadrummer
is one Smokin' Farker

That looks magnificent! I will be making that dish for sure! I think I will be trying to use it as the bread for my juicy lucy tribute to Posey's thread.

Man there are some great recipes here tonight!
tamadrummer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2011, 11:49 PM   #5
Sunra
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
They look great! Did you cut the handle off of a cast-iron pan? I have a cast-iron pan that looks like that love the idea.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:56 PM   #6
tamadrummer
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunra View Post
They look great! Did you cut the handle off of a cast-iron pan? I have a cast-iron pan that looks like that love the idea.

He said in the post that, that is his dutch oven lid, at least that is what I think was said up there.

Pretty awesome idea isn't it. I get so many tips and tricks from this place it is insane!
tamadrummer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2011, 11:58 PM   #7
gtr

Thanks for posting that! I was wanting to make those after Boshizzle's post and proceeded to plum forget. I've been making bacon (also inspired by Boshizzle), so maybe I'll have next week's batch of bacon with some corncakes!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2011, 12:02 AM   #8
Sunra
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrummer View Post
He said in the post that, that is his dutch oven lid, at least that is what I think was said up there.

Pretty awesome idea isn't it. I get so many tips and tricks from this place it is insane!
Ooops I over-looked that in the post. Yes this place does have some excellent ideas.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:48 AM   #9
Phubar

Oooh...nice curnbread!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2011, 06:58 AM   #10
boatnut
is One Chatty Farker

look great bob! I made some the other morning using buttermilk and I put blueberries in them. good stuff.

GOSM smoker (gas)
Masterbuilt (electric)
Weber Kettle
Weber Gasser (2)
Weber WSM

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2011, 07:23 AM   #11
Boshizzle

Awesome corn bread! I'll take some with butter and a glass of milk, please. Good idea using the DO lid too.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:41 AM   #12
scp
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Barry

Those look good. Did you just take a box of cornbread mix and add a can of corn? The mix looks runny. I want to try them...any advice?
scp is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2011, 07:58 AM   #13
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

Looks tasty, butter and honey on mine please...
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2011, 10:00 AM   #14
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Thanks everyone! I just used some instant cornbread mix. I used two packages and just doubled the recipe, but for some reason it did come out a bit runny. However, for making cakes it worked out just fine. I drained the corn and added it to the mix. Next time, I'll leave the corn out and just make em like regular pancake and put some butter and honey on em. I like the idea of blueberries too. I had also thought about putting some diced jalapeno in em, but didn't get around to it.
These things are just so good. The DO lid is a great tool to have. I've even used it as a pizza stone. It works great.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote