Too late for the throwdown - Kielbasa smoked on the LSG!

snadamo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
I purchased my LSG because of the versatility it offered. And I am putting it through it's paces. I've smoked, direct heat cooked, and not I am smoking sausage. I picked kielbasa as it's a very simple and delicious recipe. Lets GO!

started cubing up the meat Saturday with the intent of grinding, mixing, stuffing that same day and let the cure do it's magic in the fridge overnight. It was about an 8lb batch from a Boston butt. Well, that didn't work out as I was too stupid to realize taking a bunch of vitamins on an empty stomach was a very bad idea. Anyways, it knocked me out most of the evening and just had to push it to Sunday. I'm fine now. Here's stuffing process complete.
53610749687_cdb40f60a0_b.jpg

53611962109_1ef01e4b08_b.jpg

This morning they went on to the smoker. First time hanging sausage on my LSG. I made a small coal bed, and put a huge honkin' log of pecan on top, as most do. It kept a really steady temp of 160-175 the whole time. The lovely Mrs Snadamo helped me hang them in there.
53612073865_a697330291_b.jpg

Few hours in they're looking good
53610749662_5c9a89010c_b.jpg

Once they hit 150-155 Internal, I pulled them.
53610749677_7ef24dcdf1_b.jpg

Threw them straight in to an ice bath
53611835298_11bdbe5201_b.jpg

We were having chicken tacos for dinner, but I wanted to try them out so I put the little guys on the grill til 165 internal
53612073920_ce5602bfe9_b.jpg

OMG! They were FANTASTIC! Probably the best sausage I've ever made! Not saying it was the LSG that made them better...but it was the LSG that made them better :mrgreen: well balanced seasoning, super snappy casing, and excellent amount of smoke.
53611622926_09b25ccbb7_b.jpg

In all seriousness, I am very pleased at the versatility of this thing!
My sausage making wasn't the greatest, but definitely serviceable. My hands were starting to bother me towards the end of casing; which I think is due to my medical incident a few years back.

kinda hoping we have a skewered throwdown soon to test that out next. As always thanks for looking!

Looks good. A lot better then the pastie stuff from Hillshire farms, Hatfield, and other garbage retail brands. Even my childhood favorite all beef summer sausage from Hickory farms has gone to $hit nowadays. I need to start making my own. I have made slim jims and land jeagers, not sure why i haven't tried kielbasa, summer sausage, and smoked sausage.

Last edited:
Nicely done. Looks and sounds fantastic. That would have made a nice addition to the sausage Throwdown

Awesome looking links, Adam!
The texture looks perfect.
I say you nailed it!

Looks great. What did you do with the smoked bolts?

Snack for later :mrgreen:

Actually the previous owner made those so they stick in the holes of the grates so you can mount temp probes...pretty clever.

That sausage looks really good. Did you use a premixed spice package or make your own?

Looks great. I tried kielbasa a few weeks ago, though I was missing a couple ingredients, and I didn't smoke it, because I was lazy.

So it didn't turn out very well . . . :razz:

Awesome work Adam! Can't beat homemade sausage.

Those look great! It's nice that you can keep a good steady low temp on that beast. I guess it's all part of learning your smoker.

That sausage looks really good. Did you use a premixed spice package or make your own?

Thanks! I actually made my own. Super basic; salt pepper garlic marjoram. Well I say “my own” but credit due to Stanley and Adam Marianski.

Back