MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #1
kmetevier
Found some matches.

Default Slow cook chicken

New to the group. I'm excited to learn a ton from the many knowledgeable cooks on this site. I am nowhere close to be an expert but am practicing weekly on my skills.

Question - smoking chicken. I do individual breasts, legs, and thighs. I season them up, get the seasoning under the skin, and spritz with apple juice. But my question centers around the temp for which to smoke it. I've always cooked things on low heat (propane smoker) of roughly 200 degrees. Yet I had someone tell me that is way too low that I don't get the temperature out of the "danger zone" quick enough. I've never heard that before. What is that? He said I should smoke at a temp of 250-275. Thoughts on this?

Thanks for your input.
kmetevier is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
bizznessman
is one Smokin' Farker

They are referring to the time span that the food stays within the temperature "danger zone" (between 41F and 140F). This is the temp range that Salmonella, E. Coli and other bacteria thrive in. Exposure to 165F kills most bacteria within a few seconds. This is an INTERNAL temp not just external. Salmonella is more common with poultry products so be sure to reach this internal temp for at least a few minutes to ensure a safe food product.

I usually cook poultry at about 250F to ensure that the internal temp moves through the "danger zone" quickly enough. I also suggest using a digital thermometer to test the chicken for proper internal temp. Insert the probe into the center of a piece, not touching the bone, to obtain an accurate reading.