MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
Dgilleece
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Chicken Wings Ideas

I was thinking of doing some wings this weekend and I am getting a wee bit tired of the buffalo or hot wing idea, even though I really like them. You lads have any new and fresh ideas? I was still planning on deep frying them but I was hoping for some new sauce ideas. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Dgilleece is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Practically anything will make a good wing sauce. I would try a simple BBQ sauce cut with honey so it's glazy. Otherwise you could try some fruit preserves/jam (I like peach or apricot) heated up with honey and sriracha hot sauce in whatever ratio you like. I was thinking about doing some this weekend with some homemade sweet mustard sauce.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
aawa
Babbling Farker

2 kind of wings that I have had success doing are sweet and spicy bbq wings, and garlic parmesian wings.

Sweet and Spicy Smoked Wings
Rub
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon season salt
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 1/2 tablespoons black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Sauce -
1 cup agave necatar or honey
3 tablespoons apple juice
1 cup favorite hot bbq sauce (Big Butz Hot Sauce works really well for this)

*smoke wings, 15mins before the wings are done, roll them in the sauce and then put back on the smoker*

Parmesan Garlic Wings
rub -
1 tablespoon granulated garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon black pepper

"sauce"
1 stick butter melted
6 cloves of roasted garlic (I put these in a foil pouch and throw them on the smoker right when I start it.)
*mash the roasted garlic into the melted butter.*

Finishing powder
1 cup grated parmesean
2 tablespoons garlic powder

After you pull the wings from the smoker, pour and toss the roasted garlic melted butter over the wings and toss. After wings are coated, liberally coat with the grated parmesan/garlic powder mixture.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
cirk
is Blowin Smoke!

I make a green sauce. Using Tabasco the Green one, butter, diced green chilli's, lime juice, and diced green onions. It really good

Old 06-20-2013, 10:48 AM   #5
mep
Full Fledged Farker

Here is an easy way. Go to a Target store and look in their food section. They have a large selection of grilling sauces. Teriyaki, Raspberry Chipotle, Parmesan Garlic, etc.
mep is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #6
Don Marco
is One Chatty Farker

Use a nice rub, crisp em up and glaze with some maple syrup. I´ve cooked thousands of those wings and people always love em !

DM

Old 06-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #7
TroyA65
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm gonna try this recipe on Saturday.

http://bbq.about.com/od/chickenrecipes/r/bl50617f.htm

And my next one will be the APL recipe

http://thehogblog.com/?p=1062

Old 06-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #8
Screamin' Scotty
Found some matches.

+1 on the parmesan garlic. Cumin and smoked paprika are good in dry rubs too (you don't need much) A friend of mine made some jerk wings a few weeks ago and they were awesome, been looking forward to doing my own. Keep us posted on your cook!
Screamin' Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2013, 11:23 AM   #9
jmoney7269
Banned

I'm not a big fan of sauced wings. I have not had a better chicken whang to date than these. Simple too!
Make a slurry of 1/4c Worcester 1/4c and 1/2c Harley's.
Toss the chicken wigs and drumettes in the slurry coating evenly but not too heavy. Let marinade for a few hrs. Then give the chicken wings a medium dusting of mad hunky Hott whang seasoning. During football season I cook a couple hundred every week for requests from folks. Bout 50 people have said the same thing so far. They are just spicy enough to keep you wanting more. Your nose is sweating after 10 or so.
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #10
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I hate to repeat myself every time someone asks this question but Patio Daddio's Finger Stickin' Chicken Sauce is the BOMB! I know there's franks in there but they don't really taste like "hot wings" the sauce has a depth of flavor.

http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/2011/0...ken-sauce.html

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #11
SmokeDiddy
On the road to being a farker

Hooters

[B]*BSKD[/B]
[B]*Weber 22.5" OTS[/B]
[B]*40" MES[/B]
[B]*ECB (RIP)[/B]
[B]*Weber Smokey Joe (RIP)[/B]
[B]*Maverick ET-7[/B]
[COLOR="Red"]*Weber tongs and such, hd alum foil, chimneys, matches, wood and other misc doo-dads and thing-a-majigs[/COLOR]
SmokeDiddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #12
bacchus99
Full Fledged Farker

Try googling honey pepper wing sauce ideas. Or if you have a buffalo wild wings near they sell their sauces.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #13
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

I like doing orange marmalade sriracha wings from time to time...

Old 06-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #14
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

We did these last night. Marinated a 4 lb bag in 1/2 cup Oakridge BBQ's Habanero Death Dust and 1/2 cup olive oil for 48 hours (The extra day makes a difference). Then grilled indirectly with some hickory for smoke in a 375 degree kettle for about 30 minutes, and finished off directly for a couple minutes. Had perfect bite through skin. We used a good blue cheese dressing as a dip for the wings.

Too late to order for the weekend on the HDD unless you already have some but something you may want to try in the future.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #15
ICDEDTURKES
Full Fledged Farker

Sweet Chili sauce is also very good on wings.
ICDEDTURKES is offline   Reply With Quote