My Wife says hot is not a flavor

WBDubya

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Can you identify which pork chop is hers?

df9fce863ac079120c4db241175f8a61.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The internet says:
"The sensation of something as “hot” or “spicy” is quite often described as a taste. Technically, this is just a pain signal sent by the nerves that transmit touch and temperature sensations. The substance “capsaicin” in foods seasoned with chili causes a sensation of pain and heat."
So I guess yours is sprinkled with pain signals but no flavor. :doh:

The internet says:
"The sensation of something as “hot” or “spicy” is quite often described as a taste. Technically, this is just a pain signal sent by the nerves that transmit touch and temperature sensations. The substance “capsaicin” in foods seasoned with chili causes a sensation of pain and heat."
So I guess yours is sprinkled with pain signals but no flavor. :doh:

If you pick the right sauce you can get both pain and flavor! Both of which I enjoy:mad2:

Yup, the one without any flavor :p. I like Thai extra hot but, the ol' tummy nowaw days not so much

I'm lucky I can still enjoy hot/spicy with very little after effects. My theory is eating hot food is similar to exercise or sex, endorphins get released that make me feel more alive. There are some experts who also claim that eating hot/spicy stuff is good for your heart and cardiovascular system. I remember a while back reading a forum post about a guy in west Texas who ate a couple whole chili tepins every day, and his blood pressure dropped significantly after a few months of doing this.

My mom was raised on a farm. Salt and pepper was almost a foreign ingredient to them. When on her own she started using and learning about different spices. So with me being raised on different spices and tastes I always enjoyed anything she cooked with some heat.

I distinctively remember when first cooking on my own in high school thinking, "Wait, I can make this how I want it to taste? I'm going to make this spicy". Suddenly it clicked and a bomb went off in my head. Food just became interesting!

My wife was raised similar to my mom in not being exposed to spices when growing up. So spices were very foreign when we first started dating. The first time my wife ever had salmon was over at my parents. So she really has come a long way since we've started dating. I'm very lucky she puts up with my heat in food. I've also learned through the years that my hot rating index is way off. Someone else's hot is my, "We should add some heat to this". So I really need to watch what I cook sometime's. Especially with other people. I still get ribbed from one of my coworkers about how my baked beans made her eat fire!

I agree with the endorphins comment above. I love hot to the point where it's not even necessarily good tasting at times. It's almost like a drug. I crave the pain of hot spicy food followed by a cold drink. I'm not necessarily all that good with extreme heat but I do enjoy it!

I'm taking that left pork chop each and every day. Nice work!

Made breakfast tacos yesterday and got too much green habanero sauce n my last one. Tasted THAT for about 20 minutes during which I had to keep milk in my mouth.

Or felt it, however you like. But man, that sumbuck was hot. And I like hot.

Back