• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

KCBS Format

I QUE For You

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hello, looking for a little info about the KCBS competition format. I have been away from competition for several years and just joined KCBS again last night.

Can someone explain the comp format in simple terms for me? In the past comps were all about the same but it seems to me that the category you compete in has changed. Master, backyard, competitor serries. How do I know what category I should be in?

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

Tony

Hello, looking for a little info about the KCBS competition format. I have been away from competition for several years and just joined KCBS again last night.

Can someone explain the comp format in simple terms for me? In the past comps were all about the same but it seems to me that the category you compete in has changed. Master, backyard, competitor serries. How do I know what category I should be in?

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

Tony

Master Series are the Pro comps. These are currently the only comps that count towards Team of the Year in KCBS. The rules are consistent from comp to comp. These are the comps that you are most likely familiar with from 6 years ago, they just didn't have the "Master Series" name.

Competitor Series are typically invitational type of events. These events don't count towards the TOY. The organizer can make whatever rules or format they want with these.

Backyard contests are a great way to get back in to competing, if you can find comps in your area. You typically won't see pro teams being allowed to cook these. Also, backyard contests often don't have all 4 meats. KCBS is looking to have a backyard TOY points chase, I'm just not sure where it is in development.

Good luck and welcome back to this crazy world of bbq.

Master Series are the Pro comps. These are currently the only comps that count towards Team of the Year in KCBS. The rules are consistent from comp to comp. These are the comps that you are most likely familiar with from 6 years ago, they just didn't have the "Master Series" name.

Competitor Series are typically invitational type of events. These events don't count towards the TOY. The organizer can make whatever rules or format they want with these.

Backyard contests are a great way to get back in to competing, if you can find comps in your area. You typically won't see pro teams being allowed to cook these. Also, backyard contests often don't have all 4 meats. KCBS is looking to have a backyard TOY points chase, I'm just not sure where it is in development.

Good luck and welcome back to this crazy world of bbq.

Excellent summary! Just a couple of additions...

Master series are always chicken, ribs, pork and brisket, and can include additional categories based on the organizer's desires

Competitor series can include the traditional categories, but can also include non-standard categories. One that we did last fall had chicken, ribs and anything goes, and all counted towards the GC.

For Backyard there is a limit to the number of master series comps that you can cook in before you are no longer eligible for backyard. Double check the KCBS site for those details.

As far as which to choose that's up to you. You may not qualify for backyard based on past cooks, so that one may be ruled out.

And a couple more additions and corrections

Master series are always chicken, ribs, pork and brisket, and can include additional categories based on the organizer's desires
Additional categories are called Ancillaries and do not count for GC or RGC. They do have there own payout schedule.

Competitor series can include the traditional categories, but can also include non-standard categories. One that we did last fall had chicken, ribs and anything goes, and all counted towards the GC.
Competitors series allow BY to compete head to head with Pro.
(For the BY team this counts as Pro contest, see below for more info)

For Backyard there is a limit to the number of master series comps that you can cook in before you are no longer eligible for backyard. Double check the KCBS site for those details.

PER KCBS RULES:
All of these cover Head Cook or Assistant Cook (ie a team member).
If you have ever won a Masters (GC or an RGC), your a Pro
If you have competed in more than 12 Master contests (regardless of time frame) your a Pro.
If you have competed in 4 or more Master or Competitors series in the same year your a Pro.
If you have not competed in more than a year with any team as an assistant or head cook, you can revert to Backyard by petitioning the board. "Individuals who feel they have extenuating circumstances may appeal to the KCBS Sanctioning committed or their designee for reconsideration as a backyard cook."

AND THE BIG ONE: Backyard TOY is a fact as of 1/1/2020

November 2019 KCBS Board Quick Notes:
Myron Berry: I move to Approve TOY Points on Chicken and Ribs for Backyard Teams with The KCBS CEO to Work through the Points System Structure to Be Effective January 1, 2020
Second-Bigler-Motion Passed Unanimously

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Last edited:
I can't get over how helpful everyone on this board is! That is a great unpacking of the rules for someone who is considering starting in competitions soon.

Back