How to prep Christmas hams for sale

Phrasty

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I just posted up my ham thread (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96273) and I was thinking about something... Ideally I was planning on having these hams cooked to order on a small scale to be picked up or delivered hot and ready, but in a conversation with a friend in the food industry she mentioned that if I can provide a good ham she would want to make an order (about 12-20) for her cafe and people that she knows will want.

My question is what is the best way to cook & package these hams? Could I smoke to 140 internal temp (rare) unglazed, vacuum pack it and sell it with the glaze and instructions for the individual to bake it in the oven adding the glaze and bringing it to final temp of 160 possibly under a foil tent?

Or do I fully smoke to 160 with glaze, cool, vacuum pack and have them reheat in the oven this time for a shorter time and add additional glaze?

Really not sure what to do here :doh: I just want the best way someone can reheat and enjoy the best possible flavor out of the ham. The simpler the better. Maybe I'm just over-thinking this... :crazy:

screen-capture-693.jpg

Any suggestions on this would be most helpful. Thanks.
Cheers

Speaking as a consumer, the simpler you make it for me the better. As one who likes to cook and play with his food, I would like to be a part of the cooking process. Having said that, if I was doing hams I would make them fully cooked ready to heat and eat.

Rick is right. I would make it crock pot ready for my neighborhood.

That is a nice looking ham you're cooking.

To be honest, here in the states, it's tough to find a ham that is not fully cooked. That's the way I would head if I were you.

Yeah, I think it is looking like fully cooked is the way to go. Dont want someone to mess up and not bring it up to 160 and have any troubles relating to that as well. So I guess fully cooked it is! Thanks guys.

Cheers

Smoke it through (160) then vac pack attach another vac-bag with the glaze and instructions so all they have to do is warm it in the oven/grill/ crotch-pot and glaze it. I have done this with hams for the family about 10 not on the scale you are referring to but it worked very nicely I also should mention I built a small smokehouse in back a 3'x3'x8' you can hang about 20 10 to 15 # hams I use it to smoke my Kielbasa and sausages and white fish in the summer, but I digress a drum smoker will work as good. If anyone wants the plans for the smokehouse let me know in a message I will email them to you very simple to build.
RR

rescue ranger, I would like the plans for the backyard smoker. Thank you.

Back