Fire grate question?

N

nonthink

Can a chrome plated cooking grate be used for a fire grate? I know you can’t use galvanized metal. What kinds of metals can, and can’t one use for the extreme heat of a fire grate?

I would think good old steel is the best bet. No coatings, no nothing, just iron.

A commercial grate produced by a reputable manufacturer, or sending something custom out to be chromed? Zinc is used in the chroming process in the stuff I've had chromed. I'd also be concerned about some of the chemicals used in the process since I've had more than one item 'oooze' some nasty looking liquid after getting my parts back.

If it isn't a commercial, off the shelf, item I'd have a talk with the chromer and find out EXACTLY what is going to be used and then check the stuff out myself.

Edit: If it has already been chromed and I couldn't find out what had been used in the process I wouldn't cook on it.

Well here’s situation. I need to raise the fire grate in my silver smoker. If I place a wider fire grate in the cylinder shaped firebox it will sit higher. I don’t have an exact measurement. But I’ve seen some “Char-Broil” chrome plated replacement cooking grates that might do the job. But is it safe to put lit charcoal and lump on it?

nonthink said:
Well here’s situation. I need to raise the fire grate in my silver smoker. If I place a wider fire grate in the cylinder shaped firebox it will sit higher. I don’t have an exact measurement. But I’ve seen some “Char-Broil” chrome plated replacement cooking grates that might do the job. But is it safe to put lit charcoal and lump on it?

I would think so but expanded metal from Home Depot might be the better and cheaper way to go.

Nonthink,

If your local store does not carry it, have them ship some from another store or just try another store. I thought I saw some at the HD on Jericho Tpke about 3/4 of a mile west of Commack Rd. If nothing else it's a great reason to stop by Emelios pizza for one of the best slices of pizza on the planet.

Chromium is bad chit too. Not as bad as galv coating but stay away from it. Go with bare metal and season it.

nonthink said:
The HD by me doesn't carry it

Look for a metal shop in the phone book. They can cut to fit easy with a torch.

Or send me $9 and the size, and I'll ship you one. (It's like $8.50 to ship flat rate.)

What they said. Chrome is not a preferred choice for the obvious content of heavy metals.

Thats what i figured about the chrome. thats why i asked 1st before i did it. thanks everyone y'all been very helpfull.
and thillin, thanks on the offer. if i can't find any, i'll take you up on it

Nonthink is customizing his cooker. I can see the trend now. I'm thinking about chroming the smoke stack on my BSKD. Maybe some spinners on my wheels

Chrome and the process of chroming something is extremely toxic and hazardous to the environment. (said the man that releases pounds of carbon into the atmosphere every weekend). :icon_shy

I would suggest bare steel, or that fire steel that's tempered.

I actually figured it out. I turned the stock fire grate 90 deg. which raises it up plenty. Then I found an old fire grate from a gas grill that I just needed to shorten a little and I placed it on top of the stock fire grate. It greatly increased my surface area and all is well. So you can all forget the chrome questions. It’s just something I tossed out there. There will be no chrome of any kind, anywhere on my shmoker. Even though I was just talking about the fire grate No plans on pimpin' out the rig.

Back