Agreed. Once I read it from start to finish, I knew exactly what I wanted to do, and what other 20 I wanted to build. Of course, I still haven't built my first yet though.

MB - I made sure I read it all before posting... mostly confirmed what I wanted to do, but also picked up a few things on intake vs exhaust... and as they say a photo is worth a thousand words.

I'll try to remember to take a few pics as we build this first UDS...

Chris - my husband keeps saying, "We're only making one....." Heh, little does he know... LOL

Jocosa, good for you on reading it all. Sounds like you are about to make a fantastic drum smoker!!!!!!! Don't ever hesitate to throw a new idea out on the forum. This UDS thread has evolved and someone always comes up with something simple and cool. Keep after it!!!

My New UDS for 09

Alll:

I didn't see the Original UDS thread so I find it appropriate to re-post
about my new UDS within this thread.

Smoke on!

Hello all!

This is my first post here and I am delighted to part of a humble community!

I came across this site while searching for a drum smoker design. Well I was so intrigued with the UDS that I went ahead a made my own , since I have access to several empty used non-toxic drums.

It took me 2 days I am very proud of my UDS!
I am posting some pics of my version hopefully y'all will like.

My version has a side shelf made from a drum lid and some decorative
shelf brackets.

I also have a 14.5 X 14.5 X 7 charcoal box. This was made
used a steel framed box fixture for stage props (found several on the side of the road 3 years ago) The expanded metal is 3/4"-#9. I purchased a 48" x 48" sheet from Metals Supermarket (most major cities have these stores) for $32, enough to make two boxes. My charcoal box has a couple of built-in features; 1. The top portion can be used as handles for lifting the box in and out of the drum. 2. The box itself can be used as a campsite cooker I have a separate piece of expanded metal that fits perfectly in the recessed grooves around the top of the charcoal box.

The air intakes are 1" and I am using a 1" valve for regulating the air intake. After doing a trial run I found that this smoker maintained 240 degrees for 12 hours using two open inlets.

The exhaust is a 2" muffler tip I purchased from Advanced Auto parts for $4.99 The exhaust is held in place using a 2" conduit fitting which screws inside the 2" threaded bung hole on the lid.

I lucked up and came across a metal dolly which fitted my drum perfectly.

Oh yeah I will post lots of BBQ pron!
I am going to be able to watch the Atlanta Falcons win the super bowl,
while using my new the UDS! :biggrin:

JDER - howdy neighbor! Thanks for those pics... lots of options for customizing a UDS. I didn't know about Metals Supermarket - looks like we have two in our area; that's gonna be dangerous. :)

As much as I love my GOSM, I'm pumped about cooking on my drum!

From experience try putting the valve on a nipple at bottom of drum and see how it controls. Draw seems more consistant to me. Like the shelf. Get that thing GREASY! :biggrin:

"I am going to be able to watch the Atlanta Falcons win the super bowl,"

that was funny!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I built me one today from some junk i had laying around the shop at the hotel i work at and a empty drum of coconut oil a work contact had laying around ! Got me two racks and a butt for Saturday. Going to give it a shot. The lid is my new trendy fire pit the wife's folks got us fits good. Yes i am trying to get one with a lid., that's why no paint on this one it a prototype.........
downsized_0107091627.jpg

downsized_0107091717.jpg

This will give you troubles....

downsized_0107091717.jpg

Gotta have some space for the ash to fall thru, otherwise you'll be snuffed out inside 4 hrs.

This will give you troubles....

downsized_0107091717.jpg

Gotta have some space for the ash to fall thru, otherwise you'll be snuffed out inside 4 hrs.

ya i have cut holes in it now what a pain in the butt that was i hope what i did helps i will post pics after work tomorrow

Thats not galvanized mesh is it?

Its trash. i got a 17 by 9 expanded metal ring I'm picking up from the sheet metal shop for free 99 i gave them a free night at the hotel i work at. It will sit about 6 inches off bottom of the drum

This thread has been a huge help to me, I've purchased two Apple/Pineapple juice drums
from a local feed store (thanks to whoever suggested checking feed shops!) and I'm
getting ready to drill the air intakes so I can burn them out.

I saw Norco suggest using 1/2" all thread and a wire wheel to clean out burnt drums but I
don't have access to a drill that'll take anything bigger than 3/8". Is there any way to
attach a wire wheel to 3/8" all thread?

Thanks!

Tou can capture the wheel with 3/8" rod with fender washers but it might be a load on the drill.

Finally, after 2000 posts, here is the Ugly Drum Smoker that started this thread. You can see why I came up with the name.
attachment.php

Hell I have been using them vertically! :biggrin: Gotta go back and reread the thread.

Back