MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling General Discussion

Notices

Food Handling General Discussion General and open discussion for food handling and safety.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:42 PM   #1
trolleytime
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Canning BBQ??

I know we all have used vacuum sealers to seal barbeque and place it back in the freezer for storage. Is there any possibility of being able to put pulled pork and the juice in a quart jar and pressure can it like vegetables or sauces? I have the necessary equipment to can things like vegetables and such.

The reason I'm asking this is I have a cousin serving in Afghanistan right now and his girlfriend would like to send him some smoked meat. Shipping it in dry ice would definitely be too costly.

Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

D. Moore
Trolley Time BBQ
trolleytime is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2012, 01:20 AM   #2
twinsfan
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm pretty sure that's a no. I bet others can chime in but I bet it'd already be discussed 100+ times if you could. Too much protien and scary stuff in meat to can. Good luck to your cousin though
Old 08-11-2012, 06:05 AM   #3
armor
is one Smokin' Farker

I have a brother who lives in Alaska. He is always canning salmon that he catches. He also cans smoked salmon (with jalapenos) in jars that we keep for months and years and is still good. Not sure how that would transfer to pork but it would be worth looking into. I have never canned anything but I hope others chime in on this.

Risk is the price you pay for opportunity.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!
armor is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 08-11-2012, 07:35 AM   #4
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

I never thought of canning meat and do not do canning anyway.

But, you got my interest up.
I used Google and found a plethora of articles.
One of the most authoritative articles was:

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/yf/foods/fn188.pdf

Seems that pressure canning is the trick.

Let us know how it goes.

TIM
Thanks from: --->
Old 08-11-2012, 07:58 AM   #5
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

I grew up cannng meat. Nothing to it. I'll describe how we did beef, and it keeps for well over a year;
Cut up an entire steer into thumb sized cubes (I have big thumbs). Place cubes in an applebutter kettle with water, salt, pepper and garlic. Simmer several hours until tender with a nice thickened broth. Place in wide mouth mason jars, wipe rim and gently place lid and ring on top sealing LIGHTLY. Place in hot water bath on stove top for 15 minutes, remove turn lid tight and let rest until lids pop down. Overnight usually.

S0 - BBQ away and can it. You'll be fine.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:00 AM   #6
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

We also did "fry down sausage" and it's awesome in kraut. Fry pork sausage, stuff a mason jar full, pour the grease over the top and pack as above.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
Teleking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrink01 View Post
I grew up cannng meat. Nothing to it. I'll describe how we did beef, and it keeps for well over a year;
Cut up an entire steer into thumb sized cubes (I have big thumbs). Place cubes in an applebutter kettle with water, salt, pepper and garlic. Simmer several hours until tender with a nice thickened broth. Place in wide mouth mason jars, wipe rim and gently place lid and ring on top sealing LIGHTLY. Place in hot water bath on stove top for 15 minutes, remove turn lid tight and let rest until lids pop down. Overnight usually.

S0 - BBQ away and can it. You'll be fine.
You're lucky to be alive. All meat and low acid food can only be safe if processed in a pressure canner. Water bath not hot enough to kill botulism and definitely no long enough. Pressure canner get to 240 to 250 and takes 90 mins.
Teleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
Teleking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrink01 View Post
We also did "fry down sausage" and it's awesome in kraut. Fry pork sausage, stuff a mason jar full, pour the grease over the top and pack as above.
Please get a ball blue book before you kill someone.
Teleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 08-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #9
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

It can , as has been mentioned, be pressure canned, and be safe. We haven't tried it yet, but will be experimenting in the near future. If I remember to, I'll try and update how the texture works out.

That's my concern is if it's cooked "done" that is, to a stage of tenderness desired, will it turn to mush during the canning process, and if so, what stage should it be cooked to for it to be the desired texture after going through the pressure canning process
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:17 AM   #10
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Smoke him up some awsome jerkey. That goes along way without being dangerous.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:01 PM   #11
Brother Matt
Full Fledged Farker

No problem, I do this all the time with ham. I use the recipes found at the National Center for Home Food Preservation. They are tested, proven safe techniques.

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_05/stri...es_chunks.html
Old 08-27-2012, 02:59 AM   #12
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Matt View Post
No problem, I do this all the time with ham. I use the recipes found at the National Center for Home Food Preservation. They are tested, proven safe techniques.

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_05/stri...es_chunks.html
Thanks for the link. I've been to a couple of canning demos put on my local Mennonites (Amish) -- they can meat but boil it in jars in a water bath for something like 4 hours. Too long for my liking. I'll do some googling about pressure canning, I'm not familiar with what it is but if it can reduce processing time to 75 and 90 minutes I'm interested again.
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][I][B]Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about![/B][/I][/URL]

[B][I][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Walk in beauty, Dan Chambers.[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][COLOR="DarkRed"]I am a success in life because I am loved.[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Lime"][I][B]"^^^ the fark is what u eats the frog wit not? Ban Ban"[/B][/I] [I][B]Southernsmoker[/B][/I][/COLOR]
Kathy's Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:04 AM   #13
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

I've pressure canned deer, beef, pork, chicken, and fish. All of it starts off packed in the jars RAW, yes raw, with some seasoning. Pressure canned at >10 lbs of pressure for 90 minutes. When canning raw meat, it produces it's own juice from the cooking, so you don't want to add much liquid (if any) to the jars. I've never canned cooked smoked meat, but there isn't any reason you couldn't, just follow the same time and pressure guidelines in the Ball Blue Book - book of canning. Canning meat is perfectly safe as long as you do it correctly.

Here is a website from Presto Canners discussing raw pack, or hot pack - http://www.gopresto.com/recipes/canning/meat.php
[B]Superior SS-3[/B] - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburner
[B]Weber[/B] 22.5" WSM
[B]Weber[/B] 26.75" OTG
[B]Weber[/B] Blue 2000 Stainless Performer
[B]Weber[/B] Red 1998 Stainless Performer
NRA4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:58 AM   #14
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

http://canninggranny.blogspot.com/20...-barbecue.html
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest [COLOR=purple]Purple[/COLOR] Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:13 PM   #15
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Does anyone know why the Presto write up says not to use any flour when pressure canning meat? I wouldn't have thought to or wanted to, the statement just made me curious and they didn't say why it was so.
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][I][B]Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about![/B][/I][/URL]

[B][I][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Walk in beauty, Dan Chambers.[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][COLOR="DarkRed"]I am a success in life because I am loved.[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Lime"][I][B]"^^^ the fark is what u eats the frog wit not? Ban Ban"[/B][/I] [I][B]Southernsmoker[/B][/I][/COLOR]
Kathy's Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote