MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:49 AM   #16
RSGuy
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPS BBQ View Post
I use the cans at Smart & Final (2 & 4 hour). Of course, they don't last that long. I have a hard time seeing the use for a 6 hour sterno.

Has anyone looked into getting the electric or propane chafers?
I was also curious about this. Has anyone tried using one of these electric chafer heaters?
RSGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2010, 02:45 PM   #17
fireman_pete
Full Fledged Farker

I use the 6 hour ones (from Sams Club) each week at our Farmers Market. I burn them for 4-5 hours and they work fine (as long as there is no wind)

I throw them away each weekend, and do not mess the little bit of left over fuel.

I am currently looking for a propane chafing table (3 bay) but have not found one yet (reasonable)

Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPS BBQ View Post
I use the cans at Smart & Final (2 & 4 hour). Of course, they don't last that long. I have a hard time seeing the use for a 6 hour sterno.

Has anyone looked into getting the electric or propane chafers?
fireman_pete is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2010, 05:14 PM   #18
grillfella
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
the one I get at costco last for days.. The farkin wind keeps blowing them out and they dont burn when they're not lit. :)
Try wrapping foil around your chaffers works great for outdoor events
grillfella is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2010, 08:23 PM   #19
bbq lover
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grillfella View Post
we wrap the stand with foil and only leave a small area open and we get 6 hrs in wind all good my wife now made some nice chafing dish covers in red blue and black that fit very snug to the base and drap down around the base to the table looks a bit nicer lol

Old 04-05-2010, 08:55 PM   #20
Jerk Pit Master
Knows what a fatty is.

Don't recall the price, but I got a great deal on a 72 pack 2-hr gels at Restaurant Depot last year.

The one's from Sam's will leak even when brand new, you just have to keep them level.

TIP: For those of you that use charcoal chimneys, try using the almost finished cans as fire starters rather than newspaper. They work well and creat a lot less smoke and mess.
Jerk Pit Master is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #21
blues_n_cues
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grillfella View Post

works for me.