MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:03 PM   #1
Jetwash
Found some matches.

Default Moose roasts

G'day,
I'm trying to figure out the best way to do up some moose roasts. From those I've spoke with, mostly agree that q-ing or smoking wouldn't work and that steaming is the best bet. I'm not so sure about that.
I'm hoping that those out there with way more experience than me, can point me in the right way to produce a great moose roast.

Cheers,
Jim
aka Jetwash
Brickman offset
no-name 18" vertical
working on an UDS.
Jetwash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2014, 07:23 PM   #2
Teleking
is One Chatty Farker

What cut? Most moose for me hot n fast or pressure cook w/ GRAVY!
Teleking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2014, 07:45 PM   #3
Grain Belt
is one Smokin' Farker

I have enjoyed many moose roasts on my smoker. I like to put on a medium rub and then smoke indirect at about 300 degrees until the meat hits 150-160 internal. I then like to wrap the roast in foil with beef broth seasoned with garlic, pepper, worchestershire and a little hot sauce. Continue to cook on either the smoker or even finish in the oven until the meat hits 200 degrees internal. Let rest for an hour or so in the foil. Then I like to pull the meat and then add back some of the cooking liquid to the pulled meat. I think it is outstanding! I have used this method with deer, elk, moose and caribou.
Grain Belt is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 01-23-2014, 11:11 PM   #4
BecknCO
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grain Belt View Post
I have enjoyed many moose roasts on my smoker. I like to put on a medium rub and then smoke indirect at about 300 degrees until the meat hits 150-160 internal. I then like to wrap the roast in foil with beef broth seasoned with garlic, pepper, worchestershire and a little hot sauce. Continue to cook on either the smoker or even finish in the oven until the meat hits 200 degrees internal. Let rest for an hour or so in the foil. Then I like to pull the meat and then add back some of the cooking liquid to the pulled meat. I think it is outstanding! I have used this method with deer, elk, moose and caribou.

Now THIS right here sounds like a viable plan for my 4lb buffalo shoulder roast I'm planning for this Saturday. What smoking temp do you suggest for something this lean?

Tags
game, moose