MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:18 AM   #91
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I believe they will. They are going to get everything from pulled to sausage. Are the creative cooks that turn in sausage going to be hurt? This is a major rule change and for any cook to lose out because of what they turn in, because CBj's aren't aware of this new rule changes. Not all CBJ's are online and will not be aware of any rule changes

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2013, 07:32 AM   #92
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

I almost only compete in South Carolina BBQ Sanctioned events, and as far as I'm aware, they don't have any rules against parting the pork, weight limits, reheating and all of that, like the KCBS does. Every single contest I've cooked (and won awards at) we've always cooked whole butts, always turned in pulled, sliced, and chunked pork. And I'm willing to bet every other team that cooks SCBA does the same thing, or at least very similar.

My point being, is that just because the parting rule might go away in the KCBS, it doesn't necessarily mean that grilled or ground or whatever pork is going to start winning any contests.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-28-2013, 07:54 AM   #93
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Man View Post
Like it or not it makes for some really good BBQ!

Horn meat on the left, MM on the right, and tubes.

I really hope that my pork boxes start landing on tables with boxes that look like that...I could use a new pair of shoes...
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #94
Meat Man
Full Fledged Farker

If I cooked pork as well as you, I'd hope the same. Good luck with the new shoes.
Meat Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #95
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

I will have to say, those pics show some really great pork slices, tube and horn pieces!!! But it doesn't look like the definition of BBQ to me
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2013, 11:01 AM   #96
kenthanson
is one Smokin' Farker

But as a judge you have to judge what they presented to be bbq, not what your pre concieved notions of bbq are, if that is presented and falls within the rules and you score it down because it's not what you think bbq is then you are being a poor judge.

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-28-2013, 11:06 AM   #97
MattCom
Take a breath!

And here I thought my rotisserie pork butt chucks were only good for gyros...
I just need KCBS to allow a pita and tzatziki sauce and the judges can enjoy my kids favorite meal! (jk)

WSM 18.5" & 22"
22.5 in Weber Kettle
Smokey Jones
SS UDS 1.0
MattCom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #98
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
I will have to say, those pics show some really great pork slices, tube and horn pieces!!! But it doesn't look like the definition of BBQ to me

I am sure it was all very good, but I dont think that sliced horn meat is going to be what changes pork boxes in GA.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #99
Scottie

I won 1st in Lexington,NC with slices and what I cook for every other contest I cook. Scored well in other Southern states as well. If they judge by what was presented and the meat is good, you should score accordingly. But is is shy i truly believe that KCBS should do a continuing education for all CBJ's. Especially for pork.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle

Old 02-28-2013, 01:34 PM   #100
Fat Freddy
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
I won 1st in Lexington,NC with slices and what I cook for every other contest I cook. Scored well in other Southern states as well. If they judge by what was presented and the meat is good, you should score accordingly. But is is shy i truly believe that KCBS should do a continuing education for all CBJ's. Especially for pork.
On this I agree with you Scottie. I have only judged a handful of contests but i can honestly say i have only had pulled only boxes maybe two or three times. The norm is sliced MM sometimes with pulled and chunked, sometimes just MM and pulled. But there is almost always sliced in the boxes.

Yet by reading some of the comments on here and also on what is or is not real BBQ or not makes me concerned that will all judges judge what is presented in all KCBS contests, in all areas? If not then there should be some sort of continuing education. This rule is evolving however I am not convinced that everyone take on the rule is evolving.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #101
Lake Dogs

Name/Nickname : Hance

Freddy, I agree with you and with Scottie (oh, he must really be rolling right now), but to date I haven't seen a judge count off because what presented didnt fall into his/her definition of BBQ (but this certainly opens the door wide for a very BROAD definition).

I was, however, more concerned that by changing this rule they've opened it up so wide that truly something that isn't by anyones definition remotely associated with BBQ comes across the table and must be judged as BBQ; heaven forbid it scores well, because it was a) appetizing to look at, and b) very tender and moist, and c) tasted great.

For example, a while back I used to charge judges for sanctioned chili cookoffs, and in the charge I had to help them define what is and isn't chili, and in it I gave multiple references to the difference between chili and say spaghetti sauce (as an example); just because you call spaghetti sauce chili doesn't make it chili. Same for BBQ.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2013, 03:07 PM   #102
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
Freddy, I agree with you and with Scottie (oh, he must really be rolling right now), but to date I haven't seen a judge admit to counting off because what presented didnt fall into his/her definition of BBQ (but this certainly opens the door wide for a very BROAD definition).
Fixed your post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
I was, however, more concerned that by changing this rule they've opened it up so wide that truly something that isn't by anyones definition remotely associated with BBQ comes across the table and must be judged as BBQ; heaven forbid it scores well, because it was a) appetizing to look at, and b) very tender and moist, and c) tasted great.
I fear this as well.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #103
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenthanson View Post
But as a judge you have to judge what they presented to be bbq, not what your pre concieved notions of bbq are, if that is presented and falls within the rules and you score it down because it's not what you think bbq is then you are being a poor judge.
As I've said before, and will again, That is why I don't Judge!!!!

I've always submitted what my idea of what BBQ should be, and haven't done too shabby with that approach.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #104
Scottie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
As I've said before, and will again, That is why I don't Judge!!!!

I've always submitted what my idea of what BBQ should be, and haven't done too shabby with that approach.

I completely agree with you. I do love the history. I also know that if something can be done different and better. Then you better do it. I am the first to say I am a sell out. I'll send you my results on butt tear down!!

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle

Old 02-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #105
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw View Post
My point being, is that just because the parting rule might go away in the KCBS, it doesn't necessarily mean that grilled or ground or whatever pork is going to start winning any contests.
Exactly.

Chicken salad was ruled legal a while back too.

How many times has anyone seen chicken salad on a judging table since then?

-GF
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote