Mesquite?

Beentown

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Seems I never see a thread mentioning the using of mesquite. I know it is a bit stronger of a flavor but I am surprised at the total lack of use. I like using it occasionally mixed with cherry on larger cuts.

Do you just not like it? Too strong? ETC?

Plenty of a Folk down here use it but you better have a clean burning, well ventilated fire cuz it can get bitter in a hurry.......

It burns hot and fast with a lot of sparks...Flavor can be strong if you use too much for smoke. In the Southwest, it's very popular and sometimes is the only lump sold in some places...Try it!

I like mesquite on brisket. I also mix it with fruit woods sometime. I use wood mostly for flavor and charcoal for heat

Me too. I use chunks, not sticks when using it. Usually with apple or cherry. Didn't like it with chicken or smaller cuts.

I had never used anything else until I joined the Brethren. I cooked some ribs Saturday with oak and felt like they were missing something. The wifey said that she thought they were my best ever...Go figure. :doh:

I had never used anything else until I joined the Brethren.
Me too. Now it's anything but Mesquite.
When I use it again, I will use it lightly.
Pork butt, for sure. It can take it.
Chicken? No way.

Mesquite is the only wood i use. Mesquite is the king of all woods.

If I still lived in South Texas, it would be my go to wood for chicken, pork, beef, fish, etc. You haven't lived until you have cooked some big thick rib eyes over an open pit fire of mesquite.

I was in a little Po-dunk town in Utah one time delivering some fire retardent to fight a huge Forrest fire, and stopped at a local eatery that had rib eyes cooking over an open pit fire out back fired with mesquite. Got to talking with the owner, and he said he had the wood hauled in from Texas twice a year just for cooking his steaks. My kind of restaurant owner!:clap2:

Blessings, :pray:
Omar

I use it with Hickory for beef. I reverse sear so when on the indirect side I put hickory and some mesquite (It is strong) chips on the charcoal to impart smoke flavor.

when doing a PP I use chunks of Hickory and mesquite and apple chips. Its more of a spice than the main flavor due to its strength

You haven't lived until you have cooked some big thick rib eyes over an open pit fire of mesquite.

This is true. We drive to San Angelo, TX for Thanksgiving every year. By the time we get there, Tom has his open pit burning away with mesquite he gathers from his property. Once we are unloaded and a cold beer in hand, he grabs some ribeyes and throws them on the grate. Simple salt, pepper, and the smoke from the mesquite. Nothing better. Now If I could just teach him how to cook to medium rare...

When it comes to grilling, mesquite is the fuel I use almost every time and the only wood I use if I'm going to grill fajita. Even works well if you want to grill some ribs hot and fast. For smokes, I've found it works pretty well with chicken, turkey or ribs and doesn't over power the food. If it's going to be a big cut of beef, personally I think it needs to be used sparingly over a basket of charcoal or mixed with some pecan to mellow it out and keep the mesquite from leaving briskets tasting slightly bitter.

I use mesquite mini logs almost every time I cook and thats really saying something seeing as how its actually quite expensive up here. As a matter of fact the wife makes me cook with mesquite every time shes a yank and loves the smell.:thumb:

I like mesquite charcoal. It will get amazingly hot. Loaded up a chimney full in my BGE grill some steaks. Professional thermocouple registered almost 1000 degrees @ the grate.

Here in south texas its used alot for everything. For smoking I like it best for beef like brisket and fajitas. But for grilling it is king down here just burn it down to coals and get to grilling and the food tastes great. Most of the lump sold down here is mesquite also. Just remember to have a clean burning fire and its fine but that's true for all woods.

Back