MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:29 AM   #1
Ashmont
Babbling Farker

Default Boneless Skinless Chick thighs ?

We buy boneless/Skinless chix thighs by the case (40lbs) at Restaurant Depot! Use for Pot pies, Chick salad, Chix Caesar salads and a bunch of other stuff. My ? actually relates back to the chix skin thread. Has anybody tried turning in Boneless thighs?

Proud member of Brethren Weber's for life

(Rescued 7 kettles in 2007, 1 in 2008, 2 in 2009 and 1 in 2010 Three of which I have and 8 that have gone to Brethren. PM me to get on the waiting list)

Weber Kettle Dabomb
Weber Kettle Justintime
Weber Kettle (Yet to be named by Daughter) Evil Twin Suggested!
Weber Kettle Grace
WSM "Winni"
WSM "Dumas"
One Smokey Joe
UDS "Peggy Sue"
http://ashsmoderndayclubhouse.blogspot.com/
Ashmont is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2011, 09:51 AM   #2
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Ashmont, Yes. I have seen them in a few contests that I have judged. Not that often, and I would never score less for it.

That being said, I am an FBA judge in Florida, so you should check with the org that is sanctioning the contest.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

I do not change score based on presence of bone or skin. In fact, you are told that chicken can have skin or not have skin, same with bone, so anyone who judges down for either is being an ass-hat. So you should be able to turn them in just fine. You do run the risk of getting ass-hat judges though.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2011, 08:48 PM   #4
Big Ron
Full Fledged Farker

I just cooked some last weekend, fantastic and I trimmed all the fat I could. They were great and I am planning to do more this weekend. In TX at comps we turn in a fully jointed 1/2 a chicken.
Big Ron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2011, 09:54 PM   #5
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

I think the problem with turning in skinless thighs is that a judge might assume that a mistake was made and the skin discarded. He or she might also believe that it takes more skill to achieve tender, bite through skin than to take it off.

True or not, that could effect the score. I realize that skinless thighs are in complete compliance with the rules and should be judged on their own merits, but judges are human, and preconceptions are hard to eliminate no matter how good the training.
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2011, 10:15 PM   #6
HHpepper
Full Fledged Farker

that is my preferred meat now. I have cooked them every way imaginable(my imagination) and they turn out awesome.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:30 AM   #7
Hub
Full Fledged Farker

I see these "now and then" in competition (KCBS) but bone-in thighs still make up 90% or more of the entries. As a judge I could care less whether the bone and/or skin is there -- its the balance of good cooking, rub and sauce that ultimately comes together or not to produce a great entry.
NOS American Made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
Author of [I][FONT=Times New Roman]Burn It In The Back Yard[/FONT][/I]
Grillin' and Smokin' like crazy for over 40 years :whoo:
[COLOR=red][I]There's No Smoke Alarm In My Outdoor Kitchen![/I][/COLOR]
Hub is offline   Reply With Quote