MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:37 PM   #1
Smokin Turkey
is One Chatty Farker

Default BBQ @ the Beach State Championship - Raystown, PA Sept. 17-19th"

BBQ @ The Beach Raystown, PA Sept. 17-19th

We are working on our final sanctioning packet but I wanted to get this info out for the teams who will be interested in joining us for your first year event.

We will be hosting a standard KCBS event with a TBA grilling non-sanctioned event. We are also working on working out all the points on a People's Choice Rib event.

We will be having 20-30 teams (which makes this a Jack Qualifier) and setup in the parking area at Raystown Lake beach which is at the 7 Points Marina area.

We have much more info to release but this is a "keep your calendars open" announcement as we hope to have everything final in Feb as our Corp of Engineers paperwork has taken a bit longer than planned.

The over all comp will be put on by the Raystown Region Visitors Bureau and the idea and leadership falls on me so yeah me! We are hosting live music for the entire weekend, planned kids activities and other all inclusive family events to make this a fun time for all.

More to come!

Old 01-20-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
ClayHill
Full Fledged Farker

Thats great.....I am a "rookie" competitor and am always looking for closer contest. I'll keep my eyes open for more details. I love the drive to raystown
ClayHill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2010, 08:55 PM   #3
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

how far is that from NYC?

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2010, 09:04 PM   #4
ClayHill
Full Fledged Farker

"how far is that from NYC?"

From NYC your looking @ just shy of 5 hours

Old 01-21-2010, 07:07 AM   #5
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

is this the same weekend as Schrewsbury PA? I know they sent in their app for their 2nd year. seems like there arent any comps in June in Pa, any chance of a June date?
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2010, 07:40 AM   #6
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
About 320 miles for you, and a few less for me.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...95&ie=UTF8&z=7
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2010, 09:12 AM   #7
ClayHill
Full Fledged Farker

Sal- I checked on Shrewsbury's website and they have it listed as the 10th and 11th. June would be a nightmare @ seven points marina.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:19 AM   #8
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayHill View Post
Sal- I checked on Shrewsbury's website and they have it listed as the 10th and 11th. June would be a nightmare @ seven points marina.
this would make (I think) 5 in that time span..

Schrewbury
(Bel Air MD)
NewHolland
Harrisburg
Chambersburg

and Raystown..

to bad they arent spread out a little more, nothing from May untill August then...BAMM

and I think MT. Airy MD in there if it goes this year..

Old 01-21-2010, 09:42 AM   #9
ClayHill
Full Fledged Farker

Yeah I tend to agree, I doubt I could do two weekends in a row just yet. Guess I'll have to pick one

Old 01-21-2010, 10:06 AM   #10
Smokin Turkey
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
Not sure from where in the city but I make it in 4.5 hours to Staten Island.

We chose a weekend in Sept that according to the KCBS website, that had nothing going on in this part of the country aside from someplace in Mass.

I talked origonaly about doing this comp in mid July after boston hills and lake placid but I couldn't find interest in getting sponsors in the busy tourism seasons here. To get the best deals and the most prize money that we are looking for here, we went with sept as it is still beautiful and the weather is calming down from the hottest time of the year. Our other option was march or early April which I didnt want to do since we don't have any leaves on the trees, the place is thawing and a huge mud fest and that's if we aren't seeing flooding in the area.

This is what the KCBS website shows as for our chosen weekend... http://www.kcbs.us/events.php?year=2010&month=09

I can't tell you actual prizes yet but we have set an innitial target of prize money to be $10k with any proceeds going to an area chairity which right now (has not been settled yet) is looking like Easter Seals or Habitat for Humanity. We also will have volunteer groups doing things like parking and stuff to benefit their organizations. I can tell you that Huntingdon County Customs will be building all the trophy's so they won't be bowling style with pigs on them. As I said, we will have 20-30 teams with large enough areas to get in the pull throughs in without headaches and you will be set up on blacktop with no power or water problems. We are arranging but have not secured yet, free ice, local fruit and hard woods, and possible meat sponsors for the grilling. We are going to have the grilling included in the fee and I will announce that free structure as soon as I can get it from the board.

Booze is welcome, we will have a quiet hour of 10pm which shouldn't be a problem and may not be strickly enforced until midnight as we are away from all the camp sites. WiFi should also be there and free but I need to check on that.

We are going out of our way to make a great event to do year after year. Anyone who met me at any of the comps this year knows just how much I enjoy these things and how much I've been talking about having one here locally and get you guys down here for a comp.

So far as I said, Live music is a definite and I'm trying hard for some really popular PA bands with likely a radio station providing ambient music and announcements all day. I will be looking when we get closer for teams to volunteer for giving "What is BBQ" classes. I am working on getting something donated as an incentive as well as provide you the opportunity to sell your shirts and rubs and such. We haven't settled on it but we may or may not have either a classic car drive in or bike ride one night.

Grilling is what I am trying to get the meats donated for and the grilling entry. I am looking for some fun meat classes ( we had a possibility of it being striped bass donated from one of our clubs ) This part will not be sanctioned and will be likely judged by local celebrities and people from the crowd.

We will have food vendors so the public will not be begging for "samples"

Old 01-21-2010, 10:12 AM   #11
Smokin Turkey
is One Chatty Farker

Here are a few images of the comp area we used in our submission. Top one came from area shot by rangers. Rest were all digital images screen shotted from Google Earth in 3-D. We will also be placing this on google maps to be searched and given accurate directions although this is very easy to find.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:19 AM   #12
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

looks like a nice place, I hope to make it...please let us know when the forms are available...

Old 01-22-2010, 10:00 AM   #13
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Nice. That's a pretty part of the country that time of year... Plus it's about as far west as they come in PA... Might have to get PA off my list...

Good luck!

Scottie

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #14
Burk504
Knows what a fatty is.

I have heard that Raystown lake is beautiful and I would love to do a comp in this type of setting. Keep us informed...

Old 01-22-2010, 10:19 PM   #15
BlueHwyBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

This looks nice. I'll keep it on my short list.

Let us know when application forms are available.
BlueHwyBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote