logo

Pron heavy MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND SMOKE-FEST!!!

J

jswordy

Howdy, and welcome to the Memorial Day Weekend Smokefest! We're proud y'all stopped by. After I got the tedium of work out of the way Friday, the festivities began!

Bud Light in the cooler and first one opened ... CHECK!

The Stanley Brothers and Hank Jr. on the CD player ... CHECK!

pron009.jpg

Rain was in the forecast, so I went to extraordinary means to make this ugly but effective (UBE) cap and stovepipe extension, which allowed me to wheel the smoker under a porch. Because I did all this extra work, it never rained a drop during the entire smoking process ... CHECK!

pron002.jpg

pron001.jpg

Cheat with an 18-pounder of El Brethren de Cheapo Coupon Kingsford ... CHECK!

pron003.jpg

Add the sticks of Tennessee's Finest Hickory ... CHECK!

pron007.jpg

Take butts out of the marinade bags and slather with the stuff that makes 'em tastes good ... CHECK!

pron004.jpg

pron006.jpg

Temps are at 200, which is where the smoker seemed to be most comfortable the whole time, though we ran her up to 250 at times ... CHECK!

pron008.jpg

Slap those bad boys on there at 8 p.m. ... CHECK!

pron010.jpg

Let's get smoky! ... CHECK!

pron012.jpg

Have a midnight beer ... another in the long line as I "tended" the smoker, but they will make more! CHECK! (I turned in at 1 a.m.)

pron015.jpg

Get up at 6 and add a couple more sticks of wood, then snooze until 9 and take out the meat ... CHECK!

pron016.jpg

Covered and cooling ... CHECK!

pron017.jpg

Make the first pull, to find that even after 13 hours and the correct temp on the thermometer, it was done but not as tender as my standards. Take that pull and put it in the crock pot. The rest goes back on the smoker for another 3 hours ... CHECK!

pron021.jpg

Make the second pull, and Y-E-S-S-S, it is beautifully tender! CHECK!

pron025.jpg

Still cruising along at 225, it is time for the venison and sausage fatties ... CHECK!

pron019.jpg

The finished fatties -- one plain meat, one with Pepperjack cheese ... CHECK!

pron023.jpg

Redneck serving suggestion ... CHECK! My presentation skills suck ... CHECK! I used Jimmy Dean regular sausage and an equal amount of ground vension. That Jimmy Dean turned out spicy after 3 hours on the smoker! I might try mild next time. But they are yummy good! A great way to use the "leftover" heat from a smoke. Wifie is already requesting more be made and frozen for use in all kinds of dishes ... CHECK!

pron024.jpg

All in all, a successful smoky weekend! My coworkers are about to devour some of the pulled pork at lunch today. It's in the crock pot at my desk right now! Y'all come back!

Nice! So what was the final beer tally?

For the smoking period through Saturday evening cleanup, 20. For the weekend, 30. It was a great weekend -- at least, what I REMEMBER of it! Heheheheh. Listening to bluegrass and Hank Jr. with a cold one and smoke in the air. It can't get better. It was such a great weekend, if I could only live like that 24/7, well ... then I'd be an alcoholic! Nevermind.

You had me at the Stanley Bros. and Hank Jr. the food and booze is just a bonus!

As I type with grease on my fingers, my coworkers are bellied up to the trough for BBQ pork, sweet cole slaw, potatoes, and pickle spears. Oh Lord, it is gooood!

Back