MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
ChetPunisher
On the road to being a farker

Default What Smoker after Char Griller?

So I have been using my Char Griller for about five years. I was wondering what would be the next step up? I usually cook Chicken and Pork. I really haven't tried brisket or any beef. The Char Griller has been excellent, but I was wondering what I should be looking at next? I have heard that the WSM might be a step up, but is it that much better? I'm looking to spend around $400-500 for my next setup. Any ideas?

Thanks
ChetPunisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

It's not a matter of us telling you what to buy next, but more of the matter of what do you need to meet your journey in smoking meats.

If you truly like smoking meats and wish to pursue the more advanced aspects like curing meats, making sausage, and smoking hams and / or turkeys then I would suggest you consider investing in a good smoker that can last you a lifetime.

There are so many things to consider, the type of fuel you wish to use, the capacity of the cooker, reverse flow, adaptability to controls, and many other options.

Think about your need, and then consider your wants... Somewhere in between lies your own answers.
IamMadMan is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
ddweatherholtz
Full Fledged Farker

I was in the same boat. If you want to stick with a offset I just got the Oklahoma Joe Longhorn. $429 at lowes. And right now they have free assembly and delivery. So days of smoking and I love it.
Weber Smokey Joe
Maverik ET732
ddweatherholtz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
el_matt
Babbling Farker

I started with my NBBD, which is similar to your Char Griller. After being here for a while, I made an UDS. Greatest and easiest smoker to use. A WSM is basically a fancy UDS.

If I could do it all over again, I'd still build my UDS. If you don't have the skills/time/desire to build one, then get out there and buy that WSM.

Matt

Old 04-28-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
ChetPunisher

On my journey, I would like my next smoker to need less attention, less rusty. Able to maintain a constant heat without mods. I would like to be able to do ribs and such. I usually do 2 or 3 butts or chickens at a time. Thanks for pointing that out. I do understand that the CharGriller is up to that task, I'm just looking for the next step on my journey.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
Bludawg

IMO the difference between a WSM and a UDS is minuscule with the exception of Price. A 22 WSM is going to be pushing the 400 dollar mark, a 2 rack UDS will run you about 150 and give you the same cooking area. Allot of beer & weenies can be had for 250.
If I was going to make that move I would save up some extra coin and get a BW party It gets cold in your neck of the woods an insulated cabinet is a nice thing when you need a team of huskies to get to the pit.JM2C YMMV

Old 04-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #7
ChetPunisher

What is a "BW party"?

Old 04-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #8
Neonnblack
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetPunisher View Post
On my journey, I would like my next smoker to need less attention, less rusty. Able to maintain a constant heat without mods. I would like to be able to do ribs and such. I usually do 2 or 3 butts or chickens at a time. Thanks for pointing that out. I do understand that the CharGriller is up to that task, I'm just looking for the next step on my journey.
You literally just described a UDS. Ill post a pic of a cook in a second when i get the butts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetPunisher View Post
What is a "BW party"?
Backwoods smoker, Party model.
Neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #9
IamMadMan

The backwoods is a very good line, and the "Party" is a great smoker like "Bludawg" recommended.....

Backwoods Party

I recently bought a similar smoker made by Humphrey's. I am very happy and the unit is well made. It is sort of a "Backwoods Clone" with a cheaper price and cheaper shipping costs.

Humphrey Smoking Pits

Be forewarned that cooking on a new pit is like learning to smoke all over again. It can be fun, or if you try to rush the learning curve of the new smoker it can be crushing. Take a deep breath and enjoy the journey...

IamMadMan is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #10
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
The backwoods is a very good line, and the "Party" is a great smoker like "Bludawg" recommended.....

Backwoods Party

I recently bought a similar smoker made by Humphrey's. I am very happy and the unit is well made. It is sort of a "Backwoods Clone" with a cheaper price and cheaper shipping costs.

Humphrey Smoking Pits

Be forewarned that cooking on a new pit is like learning to smoke all over again. It can be fun, or if you try to rush the learning curve of the new smoker it can be crushing. Take a deep breath and enjoy the journey...

none of those are in the $400-$500 range.

I would suggest a WSM, or if you are the do it yourselfer type a UDS.
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2013, 12:36 PM   #11
kds9547
is one Smokin' Farker

Love my 22.5 WSM. It is AWESOME for the price.
kds9547 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #12
1911Ron
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Ron

I cook on a UDS and love it, i can put my meat on and it cruises at 270-285 all day long. I have looked at the 22" WSM and i think if i could afford it i would get one, why because i like different cookers! Either way you would be well served by both cookers.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #13
HuskerMan
Full Fledged Farker

I have nothing more to add from what already has been stated. A UDS or WSM will suit you perfect from what you described. If you have even a little bit of mechanical know how and some patience I would go the UDS route. I have a total of $40 in my UDS as I scavenged most of the parts free/cheap from places like craigslist, etc. That cost was mostly for the expanded metal needed for the charcoal basket and the stainless nuts/bolts,washers.
HuskerMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2013, 12:55 PM   #14
ChetPunisher

I think I'll start building a UDS and that way I can build it on my time. Is there a stand out tutorial that people turn to?

Old 04-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #15
LMAJ

It really does depend on how much work you want to do, and how much cooking you do during the winter.
I am a lazy smoker and like the set and forget it of the ceramic cookers. A WSM is a great choice and fits your price point.
Before you plunk down your cold hard cash, do a lot of research and take into account all your requirements, even if it means you need to save your pennies a little longer.
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote