• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

UDS Paint Prepr and Painting

ajstrider

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have read a ton of UDS threads and built a few over the years. I would like to try and get a much better paint job on my next one. I get brand new drums from work so I don't do any burnout on them. They come painted black. Normally I get them sandblasted on the outside and then I use high temperature spray paint. They don't come out looking all that great. I see a lot of pictures of nice glossy paint jobs that look smooth and want to try for this look. Obviously sandblasting creates a very rough textured outside so I would like to skip this step. What kind of prep work and paint do you guys use to get such a nice finish on your UDS? I see a lot of people even mention that high temperature paint isn't really necessary. I am just curious about how to achieve a nicer looking UDS, maybe make a Pretty Drum Smoker instead?

Seems to me, after a bit of use, the exterior might become a little messed up, so why bother? Even stainless seems to get hairy?

Since you get them at work new, is best way to remove anti rust coating with a degreaser or heat?

Soooo.....why are you sandblasting and repainting???

The original finish will last just as long.

The heat of normal smoking will not hurt the factory finish. No reason to repaint them at all unless you want a different color.

I powder coat every one that we build. When we started we painted and every year sand and repaint. PC'ing eliminated that. But I never wanted anything ugly anyway. Steve.

Back