Finally my wsm 22.5 has arrived!!!!!!

iceman72475

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Well after 12 long days of waiting Walmart finally delivered my wsm. I will say this for anyone thinking of buying one from Walmart site to store, be prepared to wait, and wait, and wait. Needless to say I am so excited to give it a test drive tomorrow. I also orded an Iq110 off of Amazon. It came very promptly. I ordered it monday and it arrived on Thursday. I can't wait to put it to good use tomorrow either. I guess my next move is to unbox my new toy so I can play. I'll keep you all posted on my first smoke progress tomorrow.new smoker and iq.jpg

Have fun man. I love my 18.5 WSM. It will be getting a workout tomorrow smoking a butt.

Get a fatty on that thing and break it in!

You may have some trouble with the IQUE overshooting temps until you get some grease built up in side the wsm to help seal things up. Can't wait to see what you produce.

Congrats! Your going to have some fun with smoker.

Thank you all. If I wasn't so tired I'd be firing that thing up tonight. I did get it all put together, man that thing is big. I still need to put the rub on boston butt so it will be ready to go tomorrow.

A butt will be a great first smoke. I suggest leaving one bottom vent half open (and the top vent fully open) as a starting point and don't worry if it seems like it wants to go higher. A brand spankin' new smoker is a little leaky and the extra air translates to extra oxygen for the fire and higher temps. Butts are tolerant of that.

Personally I don't wrap my butts unless I want to hold them when they come off.

Good luck and enjoy!

Oh, yeah... we want pictures, but don't be peeking too much. Each time you open the cooker, you lose heat and admit fresh air and generally disturb things.

Thanks for the tip HankB. I don't know if this is the wright move or the wrong move but I bought 3 chicken and and a 12lb turkey I plan on throwing on there along with the pork butt. I am planning on starting the pork butt early and then putting the chicken and turkey on around 11. I am planning to cook at 275. I know that is high to some people but thats what I think the happy medium will be for the pork and the chicken cooking together. Oh, I also have some chicken thighs i am planning on cooking if I have enought heat left after the whole chickens come off.

Thanks for the tip HankB. I don't know if this is the wright move or the wrong move but I bought 3 chicken and and a 12lb turkey I plan on throwing on there along with the pork butt. I am planning on starting the pork butt early and then putting the chicken and turkey on around 11. I am planning to cook at 275. I know that is high to some people but thats what I think the happy medium will be for the pork and the chicken cooking together. Oh, I also have some chicken thighs i am planning on cooking if I have enought heat left after the whole chickens come off.

275 is a happy medium between pork and chicken......but 300 would be even happier!

Congrats on the new cooker!! Have fun and good luck!

I'm chuckling here because for the inaugural smoke on my 22.5 I bought 4 chickens and a 20 pound turkey. I found I could only fit three chickens on the 22.5 top rack and wound up putting the fourth in my mini-WSM.

DSC_6002-PP.JPG

I had 8 pound chickens. Perhaps yours are smaller.

(More at The Big One - Inaugural Smoke)

I hope you can fit all of that! I do much prefer to fill the smoker when I fire it up. One of the silliest things I remember is Steve Raichlen (Primal Grill) firing up a 22.5 WSM for a single chicken on the top grate.

Mine are smaller. I have 3 5lb chickens and 1 12lb turkey. I also have a pork shoulder on there. What temp did you cook yours at? I am cooking around 260 to 265. I am having a hard time getting the temp above that.

Mine was running about the same (on the lid thermometer) with two of three bottom vents wide open. The thermometers I had a grate level were reading a little higher. Particularly early in the smoke when the food is cold the lid thermometer tends to read lower than what you actually see at the grates.

If you want a higher temp, start with more lit coals. With more heat in the cooker, you get more chimney draft and the extra air continues the higher temps. You would also need to leave water out as it boils at 212°F and will tend to hold temperatures down.

IMO the temps you are seeing now are good unless you have a deadline to meet.

Back