School me on this smashburger thing

RacrX

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
(dang I fell old for writing that headline..."what are you kids doing these days?" :blabla:)

But seriously- what makes them any different or better than a regular ol' burger patty?

When you smash the burger you get 100% surface area contact so you get a 100% crust so that tastes delicious. Then for me the burgers cook so fast, like 2 min total, they don't dry out at all and they are not pink in the middle so my well done family members don't complain. I normally make 3 oz balls and double them up to make a thicker burger. I used to hateaking burgers on the grill because family hated pink so they were always dry but now I make them all the time and everyone is happy

Keep the meat cold until you are putting them on the griddle.
If you've had Steak n Shake, you've had a smash burger.

I don't see them as a replacement for regular grilled burgers, but they are a damn good alternative.

In St. Louis, the place to go is Mac's Local Eats.
599229d938bd8.image.jpg

Crust to meat ratio....nuff said! Love me a double or triple smasher with shredded iceberg, lots of cheese, pickles and special sauce (blend mayo mustard ketchup and relish). Bacon a plus!

I haven’t grilled a “regular” burger since I started making smashed thin ones, except for a bonus pack I got with an online steak order. So easy & quick, always sufficiently cooked, yet juicy & flavorful. And the crust really makes them awesome. A hot griddle surface is key.

I always keep a condiment bottle with special sauce in the fridge, as we eat cheesy smashburgers once or twice a week. My not-so-secret secret sauce is mayo, ketchup, mustard, hot sauce, and Worcestershire. I grill onions & have tomatoes and usually jalapeños handy, plus ketchup for those who want extra saucy.

Jeez. I think my tailgate grill might need to be swapped for a tailgate griddle. And when it’s a frigid morning I won’t have to fight for medium done on a grill that won’t get hot. Those look great.

I find 4 oz too big for smash burgers on my blackstone griddle. Key to me is 3-3.5oz lightly packed meatball shape, blazing griddle, ball goes on and is pressed with cast iron press with wax or parchment. 90 seconds, flip and cheese, another minute or two.

Sounds like ‘just a hamburger’ but I’m a convert after owning this griddle.

Is a smashburger just what is sounds like; smashing the burger on the grill surface, or is there more to it ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is a smashburger just what is sounds like; smashing the burger on the grill surface, or is there more to it ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Griddle surface, not a grill grate, otherwise the burger gets smashed through the grate.

Don’t ask me how I know this

I sent a friend a 17" blackstone and started talking about smashburgers. It was the 1st thing he cooked, and within 2 weeks he had made them 3 times. It's almost freaky the tasks that a griddle will steal from a standard grill, but these burgers are undeniable.

I admittedly have never tried them, but I'm

not fond of any kind of crust or crispy surface, or beef cooked past medium rare so that's whats been holding me back. I also cringe when I see a great looking steak seering in cast iron even, and I love steak and love my dozens and dozens of pieces of cast iron (its an addiction) I may have to try the smash burgers though at least once.

I’d like to know what surface temp on your griddles are you smashing at?

Made 12 last night, our first try.

Don't know what surface temp was or exactly how long we had them on, Blackstone was set to a little above medium heat, I still can't get over how hot this thing gets.

We made 4oz balls and smashed them thin with a cast iron skillet. When they juiced through pretty good we flipped for a short time and lifted up a few and kept an eye on them till we had the crust we wanted. It's a good thing we toasted all the buns first because man it went fast.

They're going to be a staple around here for sure.

I use an IR thermometer to make sure the griddle is up to "somewhere" before placing the burger ball on. That's somewhere in the 400* - 500* range. With my 36" BS I can leave the far side off and it gets warm enough to hold cooked burgers or melt cheese without drying them out.

Last edited:
Back