In Texas, porksteaks less common than bigfoot?

We only get the thin cut ones....but I find them quite tasty. Cooks easy and fast.

One thing I have found...they/I like a lot of sauce.

What did you braise them in Ron L? Just BBQ sauce, or did you do the butter, brown sugar, honey treatment?

Thanks!

Butter, brown sugar and honey, and a little vinegar-based sauce to add some acid.

Last ones I did, I boned out a butt, used the top sloppy pieces for ground pork and steaked the bottom part...There's more then one way to skin a cat...LOL

I lived in St. Louis for three years, and "Pork Steak" was usually Pork Butt sliced into 1" to 1.5" slices, bone and all.

Pork Butt sandwiches were this meat cooked in a crock pot with BBQ sauce and served on white sandwich bread. Almost broke a tooth before I realized they left the bone inside the sandwich. Don't get me started on the Provel Cheese (AKA White Velveeta) on thin crust pizza they are famous for, although I did enjoy Toasted (Fried) Ravioli......

I think it would be a challenge to cut through the blade bone with a knife :-D

They can be hard to find in the Chicago area, too, and is you do find them, they are thin cut. A lot of places here call them Pork Shoulder Blade Steaks.

As mentioned above, Pork Steaks are more popular in the St. Louis area. A couple of years ago we were heading to Collinsville, IL, near St. Louis for a steak cook off, and they had a pork steak side category. I had never cooked one so I talked to a BBQ friend in that area and he gave me some tips. I had to have them special cut and per the rules they had to be less than 1 1/2" thick, so I told the butcher to set the saw at 1 1/2", and cut two center cut steaks.

I treated them pretty much like ribs, doing a variation on 3-2-1, and they came out great!

Pork-Steak.jpg

We ended up taking first place! Some of the St. Louis rea guys weren't happy that a Chicagoan came down and beat them in their local specialty :-D

Pork-Steak-Trophy.jpg

A hack saw or sawzall with a metal cutting blade will get the job done

That pork steak looks money

I lived in St. Louis for three years, and "Pork Steak" was usually Pork Butt sliced into 1" to 1.5" slices, bone and all.

Pork Butt sandwiches were this meat cooked in a crock pot with BBQ sauce and served on white sandwich bread. Almost broke a tooth before I realized they left the bone inside the sandwich. Don't get me started on the Provel Cheese (AKA White Velveeta) on thin crust pizza they are famous for, although I did enjoy Toasted (Fried) Ravioli......

I have never lived in St Louis or had a pork steak from there. I was in central MO and one of my favorite BBQ places around did a pork steak sandwich. I liked it enough to order it a few times.

I like provolone on pizza as much as mozzerella or provolone. Imo's is still a popular chain I enjoy. I was told by my inlaws here (lived here 5 or 6 years) that there is a place close that makes St louis style pizzas, owned by a previous St Louian. I also like toasted ravioli and absolutely like Gooey Butter Cake!!

How about Snoots ?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ks...-dish/63-d7921b32-05e4-4e91-8a51-dd4b245bc19d

“ST. LOUIS — Toasted raviolis. Provel cheese. Gooey butter cake. We all know these classic St. Louis foods, but did you know the Gateway to the West also is known for… pig snoot?

“We are internationally known for our snoot,” Earline Walker told the Abby Eats St. Louis producer in the lobby of her barbecue restaurant, Smoki O’s. “It’s amazing.” “

How about Snoots ?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ks...-dish/63-d7921b32-05e4-4e91-8a51-dd4b245bc19d

“ST. LOUIS — Toasted raviolis. Provel cheese. Gooey butter cake. We all know these classic St. Louis foods, but did you know the Gateway to the West also is known for… pig snoot?

“We are internationally known for our snoot,” Earline Walker told the Abby Eats St. Louis producer in the lobby of her barbecue restaurant, Smoki O’s. “It’s amazing.” “

I had never heard about it. Now I am going to have to plan a trip to Smoki O's to check it out! I didnt know I was missing out on a Mizzory classic dish!

e34075a9a5d57683cf9ce282805883c5.jpg

ee467e940c9dec2597bd06cd4582cb8f.jpg

eadb6b6079ab453ceed3d59ee87156f0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I will be trying to track down some snoots instead of pork steaks. Those pictures look wonderful. I will have to keep looking for recipes though. The two videos I just found called for boiling first, then grilling...

pork steaks. these were from the bargain bin, assorted pork chops. a t-bone chop and a loin chop it appears, blade steaks are the best for this

xOnGJSxh.jpg

pork steaks. these were from the bargain bin, assorted pork chops. a t-bone chop and a loin chop it appears, blade steaks are the best for this

xOnGJSxh.jpg

I need enlightened. Are the blades the one with the "T" or the other ones in assorted chops?

I need enlightened. Are the blades the one with the "T" or the other ones in assorted chops?

it kinda looks like a T. but it's not a t bone chop. Ron's pic is a good example. at the top is the money muscle, good meat at the bottom near the bone with the tubes and horn.

Pork-Steak.jpg

t-bone chops are just like the beef version with loin on the large side and tenderloin opposite

lvijDi4h.jpg

rib chops are from the loin and basically a pork chop with a babyback rib attached

DV6oBV0h.jpg

I like all the others cooked to 140, blade steaks are great cooked fork tender tho

It's apparently relatively common in the KC Metro area. I've only really noticed 1/2" thick steaks (do most of my shopping at ALDI.

Recently I noticed that the other local grocery chains have much thicker steaks. I've always cooked it 'St. Louis style' since that's what I read about on here. Now I want to try the thicker steaks cooked that way!

Check Sam's. They typically carry them 6 to a package and run about 3/4" thick. If they don't have them laid out they should slice a whole butt for free. They're a staple in our house.

Back