Coming soon, a new SCA grill.

Love to have one. But I have so many grills, that I have no room. I'm sure they will be giving them away as prizes in SCA cook-offs though.

Robert

Those prices listed on their site are pre-order prices. They said that they will go up a little whenever the pre-order prices are over which they have not said when that will be.

It looks like a neat grill and they did a steak cook on it the other day on the FB HB group.

Trying to figure out a reason to buy one of these grills...

Love it!

Hmm...that’s a nice looking grill.

So let me ask this because I haven’t really paid close attention to SCA...it seems like PK Grills are pretty popular, and I often see Grill Grates involved. What does something like the PK Grill or even this one that couldn’t be achieved with a Weber kettle. I know the construction is much heavier duty, I’m just wondering how 450 or 500* on a Weber kettle with Grill Grates is functionally different than this Hasty Bake or a PK?

So let me ask this because I haven’t really paid close attention to SCA...it seems like PK Grills are pretty popular, and I often see Grill Grates involved. What does something like the PK Grill or even this one that couldn’t be achieved with a Weber kettle. I know the construction is much heavier duty, I’m just wondering how 450 or 500* on a Weber kettle with Grill Grates is functionally different than this Hasty Bake or a PK?
I'm curious too. I was unable to find a YouTube video of it in action.

I've been following Hasty Bake and the features are great. I've also been eyeballing the C4-S Portable grill. Here is a VIDEO to see how it cooks.

On the other hand for $50 I can get some grill grates for my small Egg (which is a searing machine and see how I like them. Thinking it would be a killer set-up for sous vide finishing.

The difference for me is the portability and quality construction. I started cooking SCA events on my kettle. Was cooking around 600 grate temperatures and doing just fine. After less than 5 comps I noticed the leg starting to crack from riding in the truck. Not going to happen with the Hasty Bake.

Also for anybody looking to see a video overview of the new grill and see the absolute passion they have for their grills, you can watch this weeks episode of Arkassippi Smoke Live on FB. But be prepared too buy because Nick is one hell of a good salesman. #hastymakesittasty

I have the PKTX so I can´t comment on the HB. You mentioned the more durable construction and when that is combined with good portability SCA people will love it.

I bought a Weber 22 on clearance and I did like it, but I ended up buying the PK a few months later. I use the PK almost every day. Functionally I don´t know if there is really a difference, but I think the PK retains heat better.

I've been to two SCA steak comps as a bystander and there were a couple of people at each one that were cooking on Weber Kettles but none of them won and I don't remember if any of them even placed. Pretty much everyone used grill grates no matter what they were cooking on.

I don't really think that there would be any real difference in how each type of grill would cook as long as you could get the same temps on the grill grates.

I've been following Hasty Bake and the features are great. I've also been eyeballing the C4-S Portable grill. Here is a VIDEO to see how it cooks.

On the other hand for $50 I can get some grill grates for my small Egg (which is a searing machine and see how I like them. Thinking it would be a killer set-up for sous vide finishing.

I have the C4 S with the over/under and it's a sweet setup. It's pretty expensive as well and is smaller than the HB SCA version.

I will say that the PK grill will probably be more durable than this new HB. HB makes most of their grills out of 18 gauge steel which is pretty thin.

I have a Legacy 131 made out of the same gauge steel and it's no where close to being as stout as my PK grill is.

The only thing I really didn't like about this new SCA grill from the video I watched was that they use two spring type clips to hold the firebox door closed and I don't know how well they will hold up over time and it seemed like Nick was having a little bit of an issue getting it closed one handed. I think they should have used the same type of latch that they use on most of their current grills.

The C4-S is a popular cooker at the SCA events.

Tonight is the last day to buy these at the pre-order price. The SCA model goes to $449 and the regular ones goes to a little over $400 after tonight.

Back