MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
Happy Highwayman
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Smoked Pastrami?

Have any of you ever done pastrami? I'm from Montreal, and we have a unique form of pastrami that's locally referred to as "smoked meat", which is made from a cured smoked brisket. I'm not sure what technically makes it different than pastrami.

I used Alton Brown's corned beef curing method and then smoked it low and slow until it was done. It came out "ok", but clearly used the wrong smoking wood as the meat had a truly "smokey" flavor that was overpowering.

The Virtual Weber bullet site says to use Pecan wood for pastrami.

Any other pastrami suggestions?
Happy Highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2010, 04:42 PM   #2
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

Last one I did i used cherry wood and it came out with a very gentle and mild smoke flavor! Good Luck.
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
1 - WSM Mini

I live in fear that my Wife will sell all my "TOYS" when I die for WHAT I told her I paid for them!!
aquablue22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2010, 06:08 PM   #3
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

Here is the recipe that i like to use.
http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogs...-pastrami.html
I smoked a couple of pastramis/points this past weekend with cherry. Used the recipe and added 1t ginger and 1/2 t nutmeg and cloves. Flavor is excellent. Wish i had smoked a little longer for more tenderness. Used the second method, wet style.
Will increase time in foil next time.

jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2010, 06:10 PM   #4
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Highwayman View Post
Have any of you ever done pastrami? I'm from Montreal, and we have a unique form of pastrami that's locally referred to as "smoked meat", which is made from a cured smoked brisket. I'm not sure what technically makes it different than pastrami.

I used Alton Brown's corned beef curing method and then smoked it low and slow until it was done. It came out "ok", but clearly used the wrong smoking wood as the meat had a truly "smokey" flavor that was overpowering.

The Virtual Weber bullet site says to use Pecan wood for pastrami.

Any other pastrami suggestions?

I do Alton's pastrami too, but smoked beef isn't my cup of tea. In fact, I don't like my beef smoked. Chicken, fish, pork, yes.... beef no.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:28 PM   #5
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

I used the recipe that jonboy has linked above 5 times. I always use pecan wood, and steam finish for NY Deli style. We love it. Lot's of prep though, but well worth the work IMHO
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2010, 06:44 PM   #6
Smokin' Aces
On the road to being a farker

i have used peach and pecan mixture i was a mild smoke flavor
Smokin' Aces is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2010, 07:18 PM   #7
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I have used a lot of different woods, from pecan to hickory & mesquite with good results. The main thing to remember is that when using the harsher woods don't use as much as you would if using cherry or pecan.
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2010, 06:05 PM   #8
Paulie G.
is one Smokin' Farker

I smoke over oak @200 until 140 degrees, then put it on a rack in a roasting pan with aromatic liquid in the bottom until the meat hits tenderness, approximately 180degrees. Hope this helped.
Klose custom 28'x7' Golf Pro Classic mobile pit.

Last edited by Paulie G.; 09-27-2010 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: spelling
Paulie G. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2010, 08:16 PM   #9
lynnaepdx
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Ditto on the pecan/oak or pecan/cherry wood mix. I haven't done a pastrami in a while...way over due

Old 09-28-2010, 02:19 PM   #10
SmokinOkie
is one Smokin' Farker

One thing that can affect your pastrami is "finishing" method. many of the deli's actually steam and press them to get a specific finish.

If you're trying to replicate a taste from somewhere it can be a difficult challenge, so maybe find out what makes theirs great.

Or just keep refining your techniques.

I've never seen a requirement that it have a specific type of wood, but since each wood can season it slightly different, I'd stick with one type while you finalize your method.
SmokinOkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2010, 04:50 PM   #11
Teleking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinOkie View Post
deli's actually steam and press them to get a specific finish.
I take a corned beef eye round (slices better IMO) soak in cold water to remove much of the SALT for 36 hours changing the water. Rub of choice and smoke till 150 internal. I finish in the pressure cooker to tenderize for 40 mins and slice thin.

YMMV
Teleking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2010, 06:27 PM   #12
paperboy98

Default Montreal Smoked Meat

New show on Food Network, called "Meat and Potatoes" just featured a Deli in NY that served this meat. It was brined for about 2 weeks as I recall. The deli is "Mile End Deli in Brooklyn, N.Y". That program repeats this coming Sunday afternoon. The Canadian guy that owns the deli says it is NOT pastrami!!!!
paperboy98
paperboy98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2010, 12:32 PM   #13
BrewerDJ

I LOVE pastrami. And we make quite a bit of it. I don't like most of the stuff out there because it tastes like corned beef with a little pepper. We use beef brisket. Some of the others use plate or navel because it is fattier and then they steam the hell out of it. I think that make it too tender, almost mushy, and washes away a lot of the flavor. My brine has salt, pink salt (cure), sugar, pickle spice, garlic & pepper. We brine for at least 2 weeks. When it's time to cook it we rinse the brine off and rub it with my pastrami rub. It's got pepper, mustard, garlic, coriander & paprika (mostly ). I then smoke it for 4 hours at 225. For wood, it's mostly hickory with a little cherry.
BrewerDJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2010, 01:42 PM   #14
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

We do it all the time.

Soak a comercial corned packer for 48 hours changing the water at least twice a day. Trim the excess fat. Season and then smoke using cherry to a temp of 165. Wrap and cooler for at least an hour (2 hours is better).
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2010, 04:11 PM   #15
Dovid

Hey Brewer, I noticed no proportions were in your formula description. Would you mind sharing? I've done the 1 week cure (2cups salt to one gallon, plus 1tbs pink and spices) and the 2 week cure (1cup salt, all else the same). I loved them both. Care to give some of your expertise please! Thanks much!
Dovid is offline   Reply With Quote