MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:28 AM   #1
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default High heat paint question

Ok i built a UDS rotisserie which will never have a cooking grate in it. I made it to run charcoal or small wood splits. My plan when using splits was to burn a couple of small ones down to coals and drop in a small split when necessary to maintain temps.

Here's my question...i used high heat 600 degree primer and then 900 degree caliper paint. That's plenty durable for say a basket full of red hot briquettes i just burned but I'm wondering if burning a couple of small splits in the charcoal basket would put off a bunch more heat than that. Basically i don't want to screw up my paint....i assume it'll be ok but am a tad apprehensive because i don't know how much hotter the splits will burn.

Keep in mind it will be in a charcoal basket, lid will be off and it will only be one or two small ones. Thanks

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2014, 09:03 AM   #2
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

From what I was told by my pit builder, it's always a good idea to slowly cure the paint with modest temps and then go to higher temps afterward. He uses three coats of a premium paint but says that if you go too high with it at first it could cause damage, even peeling for those who like to season their pits with 350 to 400 degree heat.
His advice was to let the cooker go at 225 for a few hours for the first fire. Then the next time, the paint will be cured enough to take high temps.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:10 AM   #3
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbill View Post
From what I was told by my pit builder, it's always a good idea to slowly cure the paint with modest temps and then go to higher temps afterward. He uses three coats of a premium paint but says that if you go too high with it at first it could cause damage, even peeling for those who like to season their pits with 350 to 400 degree heat.
His advice was to let the cooker go at 225 for a few hours for the first fire. Then the next time, the paint will be cured enough to take high temps.

Well my first burn this weekend went up to 400* then the cook was in the 325* range...so i hope that would cure it.

Any idea how much hotter two splits would burn then the red hot coals i used?

Old 04-28-2014, 11:27 AM   #4
Fwismoker

I'm thinking i'll just burn the splits down to coals outside of the drum and when they're burnt down to coals i'll set the basket inside the drum. Then i'll feed the fire one split at a time.....one shouldn't blister the paint.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:35 AM   #5
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
I'm thinking i'll just burn the splits down to coals outside of the drum and when they're burnt down to coals i'll set the basket inside the drum. Then i'll feed the fire one split at a time.....one shouldn't blister the paint.
Sounds like a plan!