MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #16
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQMaverick View Post
I have got to get to Lockhart and try some sausage. I can't for the life of me figure out why BBQ joints up this way don't do a Texas style sausage.
If you want to pay some shipping, you can get some delivered from many online places - Black's, Kreuz , Opa's, Southside Market, Slovacek's etc...
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #17
centexsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : John

they do ship. I highlly recommend their sausage. It's actually what they are famous for

http://www.kreuzmarket.com/index.shtml
centexsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #18
BBQMaverick
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by centexsmoker View Post
I'm pretty sure they ship it. you want Kreutz or Smitty's (they are the same). Kreutz would be more likely to ship than smitty's. Get some, it's awesome

Thanks and I will try that but I still want to make a trip or trips and try some of these famous TX bbq joints (the look, feel, smell and in house fresh taste with different sides, rubs sauces, etc).
BBQMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #19
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Interesting looking book Rick, thanks for the heads up!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #20
centexsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Thanks and I will try that but I still want to make a trip or trips and try some of these famous TX bbq joints (the look, feel, smell and in house fresh taste with different sides, rubs sauces, etc).
come on down. Come to Austin and do the J. Mueller's, Franklin's, Salt Lick run. Then do a day in Lockhart (an hour from Austin) and I would tell you hit Snow's in Lexington to finish it off. Snow's is only open Saturday at 8am until they run out of meat. It is unreal and worth the hassle if you are on a BBQ quest.

Other mentionables are City Market in Luling (for everything) and Southside market in Elgin (for Sausage only- everything else is blah)

Let me know if you ever make it happen, I'll draw you a map.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #21
BBQMaverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
If you want to pay some shipping, you can get some delivered from many online places - Black's, Kreuz , Opa's, Southside Market, Slovacek's etc...

^Going to try some ^

The only TX sausage I have had was when I was in Houston couple years ago (on biz) and we traveled down to Baytown. At lunch I had BBQ catered in to feed the plant to celebrate a big job. Bee, the prezes assitant took care of it. I have no idea where they got but I ate the fire out of the sausage.

We always do PaPa's Steak House on Westheimer in Houston. Not BBQ but some top shelf eats and drinks.

Any good sausage around Houston ?

Old 01-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #22
BBQMaverick

Quote:
come on down. Come to Austin and do the J. Mueller's, Franklin's, Salt Lick run. Then do a day in Lockhart (an hour from Austin) and I would tell you hit Snow's in Lexington to finish it off. Snow's is only open Saturday at 8am until they run out of meat. It is unreal and worth the hassle if you are on a BBQ quest.

Other mentionables are City Market in Luling (for everything) and Southside market in Elgin (for Sausage only- everything else is blah)

Let me know if you ever make it happen, I'll draw you a map.
This on my things to do list. We have a lot going on in 2013 with family, biz and on the farm but I am going to make it happen within the year. I was recently looking at http://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq and the writes up thay had on all these you mention but any thoughts you have would be appreciated. I'm going to look at map and figure a route I will to tie into couple other stops. If it's OK I will send you a note when I get close. Thanks

Old 01-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #23
SchatzSea

Thanks for the line on the book - love a good BBQ read. It'll be here Tuesday (love Amazon Prime too)
[FONT=Magneto][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][B]En Fuego BBQ[/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][INDENT][FONT=Arial][COLOR=dimgray][I]The Swashbucklers of Swine...[/I][I]Raiders of Ribs...Buccaneers of Brisket...Pillagers [/I][I]of Poultry...Marauders of Mutton...it's the Dred Pirate SchatzSea and Qrew from the mythical Isla del Fuego![/I][/COLOR][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Arial][COLOR=dimgray]The Qrew -- Smokin’ Hot Wife, Two Smokin’ Little Monkeys, and Two Hot Digity Dogs[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]

[I][FONT=Arial][COLOR=dimgray]"Hello. My name is Inigo Pork-toya. You grilled my father. Prepare to fry."[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]
[/INDENT]__________________
SchatzSea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #24
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

I have a iron stomach, but Ive had explosive chits after eating salt lick 3 different times same with the big group's I went with. I really wont eat anything but sauce from them, don't take my word for it go when there busy you'll need pepto.

Cook book looks good though lol

Sent from my SGH-T999

Old 01-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #25
BBQMaverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl View Post
Interesting looking book Rick, thanks for the heads up!

Jeanie, You were the first person I thought of when I saw that nice color picture of Chicken Fried Venison. It looked like something I would see on your bog. Lots of other good stuff to but that had Cowgirl's County Life all over it.

Just took 2 advil and heading out to cut n spilt some more wood.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #26
BBQMaverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinKnight View Post
I have a iron stomach, but Ive had explosive chits after eating salt lick 3 different times same with the big group's I went with. I really wont eat anything but sauce from them, don't take my word for it go when there busy you'll need pepto.

Cook book looks good though lol

Sent from my SGH-T999
Good info I guess ? Wonder why they keep going back 2 or 3 times if it's that bad ? LOL

Old 01-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #27
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Quote:
Jeanie, You were the first person I thought of when I saw that nice color picture of Chicken Fried Venison. It looked like something I would see on your bog. Lots of other good stuff to but that had Cowgirl's County Life all over it.

Just took 2 advil and heading out to cut n spilt some more wood.
Rick Thanks, I've been eating a lot of chicken fried venison since deer season. It's one of my favorites.
Had not thought of taking advil before working, wish I would have yesterday. lol
Good luck with your wood work!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #28
centexsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
This on my things to do list. We have a lot going on in 2013 with family, biz and on the farm but I am going to make it happen within the year. I was recently looking at http://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq and the writes up thay had on all these you mention but any thoughts you have would be appreciated. I'm going to look at map and figure a route I will to tie into couple other stops. If it's OK I will send you a note when I get close. Thanks
TX Monthly is the perfect place to start. Definitely let me know when you start to plan. I'll hook you up with some fun stuff to do along the way

Old 01-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #29
centexsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
^Going to try some ^

The only TX sausage I have had was when I was in Houston couple years ago (on biz) and we traveled down to Baytown. At lunch I had BBQ catered in to feed the plant to celebrate a big job. Bee, the prezes assitant took care of it. I have no idea where they got but I ate the fire out of the sausage.

We always do PaPa's Steak House on Westheimer in Houston. Not BBQ but some top shelf eats and drinks.

Any good sausage around Houston ?
I assume you mean Pappas Bros. Steak House? That place is aweosme. I go there all the time.

Funny enough, Houston has crap BBQ. I haven't had good bbq there ever and I've tried. The best I had was the total hole in the wall in the hood with cats all over the tables :)

It was in TX monthly as the best in houston and it was good. It was called Virgies BBQ. I enjoyed it but it might not be for everyone. It's not "sanitized" for the masses. It's an old school joint in kind of a rough neghborhood

Old 01-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #30
BBQMaverick

Quote:
I assume you mean Pappas Bros. Steak House? That place is aweosme. I go there all the time.

Funny enough, Houston has crap BBQ. I haven't had good bbq there ever and I've tried. The best I had was the total hole in the wall in the hood with cats all over the tables :)

It was in TX monthly as the best in houston and it was good. It was called Virgies BBQ. I enjoyed it but it might not be for everyone. It's not "sanitized" for the masses. It's an old school joint in kind of a rough neghborhood

Yes, PaPa Bros Steak House right there around Galleria area off Wesitsheimer. Love it. I also like his Mexican places Papsitas but not a fan of his seafood places Papdaux.

FYI...If your ever in Chicago (also a few in AZ and CA) and have never been go to a Portillos and get an italian beef with giardiniera (everything is good and the chocolate cake rocks) http://www.portillos.com/flash/portillos_2.html

You will go back and get another trust me.