• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket- How Many Per Year??

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
and I’m guessing I am down to 6-8 per year. I’ve got most of a cooked one in the freezer plus two whole packers. Eating two and drinking 1 meal per day (usually) really dropped it back. This usda choice angus just found and dropped in freezer.
As well I usually cook 1 rack instead of 3 ribs, 5# butts. Overall Fattys disappear first.

They’ve probably been there all along but saw boneless pork picnic roasts yesterday 2-5#. Those could be a fun cook.

But Brisket. How many do you cook per year and cost?

8 choice brisket for approximately $200-250

Last edited:
More when I was dialing it in but now I'm guessing about 6

Last year was an anomaly, I think I only did 4

I would do more at $30 but avg price here is $3.50+ so I'm looking at $40-60 per cook

I don't cook nearly enough (I love brisket) as they are silly expensive here.
Brisket is not an European cut so to get real brisket, I need to buy imported stuff.
They cost me between 60 and 100 euro each, depending on where it comes from.

I noticed my local butcher had homemade pastrami so I asked him about the cut and he used what basically is the flat of a brisket. I told him I want to get one next time he gets them in. Will be to lean for brisket but excellent for pastrami OR for stews/chilli.

I've not been doing many comps, so the price of my briskets have decreased.

I cook about 40 or so a year now, the office where my wife works will buy any extra meat, so if I run across a nice looking one at Sam's, I pick it up. Make a couple meals for me and the Mrs. and recover my costs with her office buddies. Good deal for them too.

I usually cook a couple Creekstone primes for family gatherings, try to pick those up when on sale and freeze them.

Now if I could get 1.88/lb briskets, I'd cook more.....:cry:

If I could get them at that price, I’d be cooking them all the time!!!

I’d say 10-12 per year would be my ideal amount (time, cost, opportunity). In a normal year I’m averaging 6-8 (with all the other big cooks...short ribs, butts, etc).

Last year I probably cooked 50 briskets....in 2019 I think I've only done 1, but that may have been in 2018, technically. :cry::oops::shock:

1-2, but not by my choice.

I love smoked brisket. The wife prefers it oven roasted covered with onions. We probably do 3-4 like that per year.

But the smoked ones...between the price, the time investment (8-10 hours vs 4 with ribs or less with chicken), and the lack of interest from my family....

1-2 per year...which is sad.

2017 I have 28 documented brisket cooks. 2018 it was down to 6 because I was in limbo with the move to Texas. I’m currently at 0 for 2019. I don’t like this trend at all but I refuse to pay $3+ for Select.

My over/under is probably set at 3, like you most of the time I'm only cooking for 2, last brisket I did I cooked it just so I would have meat for batches of Chili. Since I really don't need or want a massive amount of leftovers I usually opt for beef short ribs instead of brisket.

Used to do 50+ easily. Was buying 5-7 at a time. Then i got tired of being free labor and i showed a couple friends how to cook so probably be down to 10-12 per year. Cooking too many can turn you off of that meat. There was a time i couldn't even look at a brisket. My price is probably $3-$4 because i buy prime or choice angus.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

At $1.88/lb, I’d be cooking more than 3-4 per year I do for sure! Since Costco Prime at $3.29/lb is only about 20 cents more than choice, that’s what I go with.

Kroger in North Texas runs Choice at $1.77 per pound a few times per year and I will buy one or two and end up cooking about six briskets per year. I'm still a low and slow guy, and if I could perfect my Hot & Fast method I would probably cook more through the year as I value my sleep!

Even with a pellet cooker it's not "set & forget". I put it in around 10:00 pm at night and get up at 4:00 am to wrap for full packer's, or for separated flat's and points I will get up at 3:00 am to load-in and wrap when I get to the color I want.

Chuckie's are much easier when I'm craving beef....

I’m down to about 12-15. Once a month and occasionally an extra one for somebody.
Usually about 14-15 lb at $1.99-$2.29/lb. so $360-$400 a year.

At $1.88/lb, I'd be making beef stew and grinding for chili and hamburgers more often.

90% of my brisket cooks are at competitions, and we ended up doing 10 comps last year, plus a practice brisket or two, so 11 or 12 last year?

None so far this year :-D

Two to three a year.........whenever I get a jones for brisket. I can only seem to find flats here in NJ, and I honestly don't consider the cost when I'm in the mood for brisket. I just look for thick and even flats.

I buy from Costco or BJ's.......I have no desire to pay for a boutique SRF brisket. I get great results (most of the time :p) with the "unwashed masses style", readily available brisket.

Last edited:
Locally at $7+/lb for flats, I've given up. I've even asked if they could order some with the point still attached and got a yeah sure but it is $3/lb more. No thanks. I've switched over to chucks or clod (about 6 times per year). I've been tempted at the not real local Costco, as they have started carrying briskets again (absent for about 2 years).

Locally at $7+/lb for flats, I've given up. I've even asked if they could order some with the point still attached and got a yeah sure but it is $3/lb more. No thanks. I've switched over to chucks or clod (about 6 times per year). I've been tempted at the not real local Costco, as they have started carrying briskets again (absent for about 2 years).

Clod is OG. Smoke it. Lots of history in smoking clod. It was brisket before brisket was brisket.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/brisket-aint-cheap/

Back