MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:23 AM   #16
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

90% of my brisket cooks are at competitions, and we ended up doing 10 comps last year, plus a practice brisket or two, so 11 or 12 last year?

None so far this year

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-15-2019, 06:41 PM   #17
Smoking Piney
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Two to three a year.........whenever I get a jones for brisket. I can only seem to find flats here in NJ, and I honestly don't consider the cost when I'm in the mood for brisket. I just look for thick and even flats.

I buy from Costco or BJ's.......I have no desire to pay for a boutique SRF brisket. I get great results (most of the time ) with the "unwashed masses style", readily available brisket.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS

Last edited by Smoking Piney; 02-15-2019 at 06:52 PM..
Smoking Piney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2019, 07:27 PM   #18
blake
Full Fledged Farker

Locally at $7+/lb for flats, I've given up. I've even asked if they could order some with the point still attached and got a yeah sure but it is $3/lb more. No thanks. I've switched over to chucks or clod (about 6 times per year). I've been tempted at the not real local Costco, as they have started carrying briskets again (absent for about 2 years).

Old 02-15-2019, 07:39 PM   #19
Stingerhook
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marty

None, they are my Achilles heel!

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.
Stingerhook is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2019, 07:48 PM   #20
16Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
Locally at $7+/lb for flats, I've given up. I've even asked if they could order some with the point still attached and got a yeah sure but it is $3/lb more. No thanks. I've switched over to chucks or clod (about 6 times per year). I've been tempted at the not real local Costco, as they have started carrying briskets again (absent for about 2 years).
Clod is OG. Smoke it. Lots of history in smoking clod. It was brisket before brisket was brisket.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/brisket-aint-cheap/

Old 02-15-2019, 07:59 PM   #21
ClintHTX
is One Chatty Farker

Not enough.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:08 PM   #22
Smoking Piney

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
Locally at $7+/lb for flats, I've given up. I've even asked if they could order some with the point still attached and got a yeah sure but it is $3/lb more. No thanks.
I agree. Brisket prices are going off the charts. They are a treat for me when I'm feeling flush. The guys pitching SRF Wagyu............LMAO at those prices.

I can still remember when brisket was a cheap piece of meat.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-15-2019, 08:12 PM   #23
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

I usually only do three. One for my wife for our anniversary (happens to be close to Memorial Day), one during July 4 bbq, and one for my sons bday (around Labor Day). That varies too, but I sometimes will get an itch and want to make it other times. I probably pay $35 to $55. I will glance at prices occasionally, but it's like gas for me...I buy it when I need it.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:25 PM   #24
Gimmethecash
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Steven

I’ve never smoked a brisket, although I did semi-slow cook one in the oven once a long time ago (hey, I was young and not into smoking meats yet).

I plan to try one this spring - depending how it goes, probably a few more.
Gimmethecash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2019, 08:47 PM   #25
sudsandswine

Curious....those of you that only make a few briskets a year, what do you cook more often? I have a hard time getting excited about pork that isnt a money muscle or spare ribs. Like me some dark meat chicken...pretty much any kind of beef, but to me there isnt much better than a properly done brisket when it comes to BBQ (not grilling).

Old 02-15-2019, 08:58 PM   #26
dadsr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
Curious....those of you that only make a few briskets a year, what do you cook more often? I have a hard time getting excited about pork that isnt a money muscle or spare ribs. Like me some dark meat chicken...pretty much any kind of beef, but to me there isnt much better than a properly done brisket when it comes to BBQ (not grilling).
My time is worth enough to cook better cuts of beef. Especially since it usually costs less than brisket.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:11 PM   #27
sudsandswine

What "better" cut of beef are you getting for less than brisket? There is literally no cut of beef here cheaper than brisket ($3lb), not even offal.

Last edited by sudsandswine; 02-15-2019 at 09:26 PM..
sudsandswine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2019, 09:12 PM   #28
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

I prefer short rib plates over brisket. Brisket can be cheap here but I don't smoke them often cause they're not my favorite. I do grind them into burger or make Guam style brisket from time to time.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2019, 09:31 PM   #29
HuskyJW
On the road to being a farker

I rarely do brisket....it hovers around $3lb..... after trimming and then weight loss with the final product that price doubles. So now you're looking at $6 a pound at least? At that price I'll do tri-tip where its done done in 45 minutes or less.

Price drops? Sure.... $1.88? Am stocking up
HuskyJW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2019, 09:50 PM   #30
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
For me, brisket (I do get excited about it) or even good steak, is usually a special-occasion, meat. I guess since it is more expensive? (I am a frugal guy) I really like pulled pork and ribs, and those, along with chicken is what I cook the most. Beef is good, chicken is wonderful, but..pork rules!