new WSM question

D

DubSmoke

i am the proud new owner of a 22 WSM :clap2: and i had a question about vent adjustments. any incite on about where to set them for my first cook? im doin 1/4 chickens and some green onion brats. oh and im usin lump. thanks in advance! :thumb:

Just set them as needed to control temp. Close them to lower temp and open to raise temp. It really depends on the temp you're trying to get to and the temp you got. Congrats on the smoker I got that one last week, it's really nice.

they are sweet. i was just curios as to if the top vent should be more open or similar to the others

well it has been goin for about 45 min now and its at a constant 250 so far, i think i guessed pretty well :thumb:

I have an 18 wsm, and I open all vents wide open while the temp rises in the cooker, when it hits 225 I close all three bottom vents 1/2 way, leaving the top open 100%. This usually causes it to settle in at 250, which is my prefered cooking temp.

Good Luck!

I agree with Bo. Top vent always open 100% and then adjust he bottom vents as the temp rises. It is easier to catch it on the way up than it is to try to get it to come down.

well after 2 1/2 hrs its still floatin around 245-255 which aint bad considering every once in a while there will be a small gust of wind. just checked on my cook and it looks good, almost to temp. ill have to take some pix (only have my cell, so they may look like poo)

I agree with Bo. Top vent always open 100% and then adjust he bottom vents as the temp rises. It is easier to catch it on the way up than it is to try to get it to come down.

Best advice ever. It is much easier to catch it on the way up cause once it gets too hot you will play heck getting it back down. I have practiced that method from my very first cook and it has never failed me yet.:becky:

I have an 18 wsm, and I open all vents wide open while the temp rises in the cooker, when it hits 225 I close all three bottom vents 1/2 way, leaving the top open 100%. This usually causes it to settle in at 250, which is my prefered cooking temp.

Good Luck!
That's the ticket right there. Open all the way and then close down when getting up towards the temp you want.

And, if you do have to make vent adjustments give it at least 15 min to react and settle before you make another adjustment. Learned this the hard way - chasing temps is no fun and the beauty of the WSM is once dialed in it wants to stay there.

I found that if I start the Large WSM with too much lit charcoal, the temps can get away from me pretty quick like. I wound up removing the little tabs from the bottom vents so that they close 100% of the way. Otherwise, even if you try to close them all the way - they are still open ~just enough~ to wreak havoc on your temps.

Have fun!

Back