MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:18 PM   #1
Back9Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Need help in Jacksonville

Hello everyone. I have recently gotten out of the competition game and sold trailer and most cooking equipment. Have the first child coming in the next 5 months so figured was good idea. A buddy asked me to cook a few whole hogs for him for a party in December. Problem is I don't have any cookers large enough. Anyone live close by who wouldst mind letting me borrow one for a few days. I was going to do some research online but thought I would ask the brethren first. Thanks
Back9Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2017, 07:21 PM   #2
KevinJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Hopefully someone will step up and help you out if not you could build a cinder block pit on the cheap.
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-04-2017, 07:22 PM   #3
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Kevin beat me to it. lol Block pit!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-04-2017, 07:26 PM   #4
Back9Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Thought about that but live in a town home and my backyard is only 10'x10' and on a 45* downgrade. Not the best layout for cinder block pit. I plan on cooking at parents house and they live in a community that would not allow such a contraption being made
Back9Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2017, 08:09 PM   #5
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Wish I could help you out, but my smoker is not capable of a whole hog ...

One recommendation I have since I did this myself is find a buddy who is active duty or retired military and have him/her rent one of the big barrel smokers from MWR at Mayport or NAS.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2017, 08:40 PM   #6
Beef
Full Fledged Farker

You might be surprised at what the local rental place might have available. Hardware stores also have a good selection of rental equipment.

good luck!
Imperial Kamado #3
Numerous Weber Kettles, daisies and one touches
Seville Cart by Woodard for my pre-79 Kettle
Indoors cooking hearth with crane
Large heavy duty open grill for dutch ovens, etc.
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2017, 06:21 AM   #7
JohnH12
Full Fledged Farker

What size pig are you planning to do?
I don't know what side of town you're on but you should talk with Ed Malin at Angie's Subs on Beach Blvd.
He may be able to help you out or at least quote a decent price for cooking it.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:18 AM   #8
Demosthenes9
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back9Q View Post
Thought about that but live in a town home and my backyard is only 10'x10' and on a 45* downgrade. Not the best layout for cinder block pit. I plan on cooking at parents house and they live in a community that would not allow such a contraption being made
Heh, block pit is temporary. By the time the local gov't figures out whats going on and instructs you to take it down, the cook would already be done.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Demosthenes9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2017, 01:22 PM   #9
IamMadMan

Quote:
Hello everyone. I have recently gotten out of the competition game and sold trailer and most cooking equipment. Have the first child coming in the next 5 months so figured was good idea. A buddy asked me to cook a few whole hogs for him for a party in December. Problem is I don't have any cookers large enough. Anyone live close by who wouldst mind letting me borrow one for a few days. I was going to do some research online but thought I would ask the brethren first. Thanks
Quote:
What about just cooking them at your buddy's house that wants you to cook the whole hogs for him? If he needs two hogs for a party, he must have a big enough place to entertain a large enough crowd to eat two pigs, a temporary cinder block pit would probably be nothing in his large yard. Just another suggestion for you.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2017, 09:17 PM   #10
jw177
Got Wood.

Having never smoked a whole hog, how big a pit is required?
jw177 is offline   Reply With Quote