MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:52 PM   #1
jsmorrow2s
Full Fledged Farker

Default Searching for a first smoker

Hi Brethren,

I mainly came to this forum looking for THE BEST smoker for the money, but found that this forum is way much more than that. I have enjoyed pouring over tips, tricks, and constant positivity found here and since then, my food has greatly improved. Thank you for that!!!

Any-who, after watching pitmasters, I want to get a smoker and had no clue where to start; however, I had an inkling cheap smokers bought at box stores were not the best beginning. So, I researched and found the Myron Mixon Smokers, and fell in love with them, but found them to be well out of my price range. Then I found the LSG cabinets and pipe smokers or a shirley fab and thought that were everything I was looking for. So, my fiance and I agreed that after we get married (11/5/16) I could start saving for one. Then we started planning the wedding, and my budget crumbled. Bc of this, I became very depressed, but I stumbled upon a WSM and have read of all of the AWESOME food it produced, bc I learned that it is THE COOK that makes great food, not necessarily the vessel in which you cook in.

That being said, I can almost immediately purchase a WSM but I am unable to find a dealer in the Springfield, IL area that caries them. I did not know if you guys had purchased one online and if so would you recommend one site over another??? Also what size should I get??? I have read to go bigger than what you originally intent to use bc it will fill up fast and I will outgrow it if I take it to comps and such...

If this is a duplicate post or in the wrong section I am sorry and if that is the case, could you point me in the correct direction

Thank you
Josh

Old 07-13-2015, 12:58 PM   #2
THoey1963
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Terry

Weber has a pricing contract, so it will be rare to find them on sale. I would just go to Amazon and buy it there. Free shipping on orders over $35...

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-13-2015, 01:02 PM   #3
mrboy
Full Fledged Farker

Josh,

According to The Home Depot website, the Jacksonville store has them in stock, or they'll deliver it to your house for free.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-18-...1001/100657680

Good luck and enjoy... and remember, there are many ways to get to BBQ heaven.

Old 07-13-2015, 01:05 PM   #4
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Get the 22 WSM, not the 18. You WILL NOT regret it.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-22-...1001/100657671

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Weber-22.5...moker/10756115

Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-13-2015, 01:06 PM   #5
arclite
is one Smokin' Farker

Check Craigslist.

Old 07-13-2015, 01:13 PM   #6
3LMBBQ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I have several bigger cookers but really like the Pit Barrel Cooker. Similar price ($299 delivered to your door) as the WSM and easier to use in IMO. You can't go wrong with a WSM though.

for the WSM I'd go with the 18" if you go with the WSM. The 22 can get a little big and unwieldy. I know people who think the 18 cooks the best too for some reason.
3LMBBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2015, 01:17 PM   #7
Richard1233
is one Smokin' Farker

If u do any big cooks I would recommend the wsm 22. It's a beast. U can fit a lot of food on it and it's very easy to use. Home Depot or lowes usually carries them and if they don't have any in stock u could order from walmart and have it site to Store for free. They call or email u when it's ready for pickup depending on ur preference. It took about a week to get mine and I've had it for 2 weeks now, it's great! I grill on it all the time and I've smoked on it as well. It works as both. I'll be grilling on it again later today. I love it and don't think anyone would regret spending the extra $100 for the space it provides.

Old 07-13-2015, 01:23 PM   #8
Fwismoker

With the WSM 18.5 you can get the hanging kit also...or do they offer one with the 22.5"?

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2015, 01:24 PM   #9
SmittyJonz

Walmart Home -Depot -Ace Hardware

Old 07-13-2015, 01:29 PM   #10
Richard1233
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
With the WSM 18.5 you can get the hanging kit also...or do they offer one with the 22.5"?
They're a little harder to find but a few Google search es and u can find the hanging rack for about $40 for the 22.5

Old 07-13-2015, 01:56 PM   #11
THoey1963

Name/Nickname : Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LMBBQ View Post
for the WSM I'd go with the 18" if you go with the WSM. The 22 can get a little big and unwieldy. I know people who think the 18 cooks the best too for some reason.
I am not sure what you mean by unwieldy. I've had no issues with my 22 and I don't have to worry about trying to fit a full packer on a grate without burning the ends. I don't think you can go wrong with either the 18 or the 22. Just determine the size you need and then get the bigger one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1233 View Post
They're a little harder to find but a few Google search es and u can find the hanging rack for about $40 for the 22.5
Yep, I got mine through Amazon.

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2015, 01:57 PM   #12
jsmorrow2s
Full Fledged Farker

alright, cool! thank you for the info! hopefully i can get to ordering one in the next couple of weeks! but tonight, its on to grilling up chicken fajitas (fiance does NOT like steak) that ive had marinating since this morning

Old 07-13-2015, 03:11 PM   #13
hammb
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmorrow2s View Post
alright, cool! thank you for the info! hopefully i can get to ordering one in the next couple of weeks! but tonight, its on to grilling up chicken fajitas (fiance does NOT like steak) that ive had marinating since this morning
She does NOT like steak AND you're marrying her? Wow...that would probably be a deal breaker for me!

I hope she at least likes BBQ. I'm lucky in that my wife loves it almost as much as I do...which is good because she thinks I have an obsession.
hammb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2015, 03:12 PM   #14
93vpmod
is Blowin Smoke!

The fajitas sound great, what time should I drop by?? Haha!

Seriously, the PBC or the WSM either one would be a great place to start or (wait for it...) you could build a UDS.

I have all three and it is more like picking which car to drive that day. Amazon is also an easy choice as well for the PBC or the WSM.
93vpmod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2015, 03:31 PM   #15
Beentown
is One Chatty Farker

< that guy....

Build a UDS. Get a feel for cooking and then you just may have a Shirley before you know it.
SDG 26' Concession rig, Weber 22.5" x 3, RecTeq1250, UDS with IQ 110, Shirley Fabrication Cabinet Model 24x60 trailer, LS Grillz Large IVS w/offroad package (on the way), Humphreys Q'bed Pint, Assassin 48
Beentown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
WSM