Brisket A-Z

The biggest revelation is seeing a thermometer in Blu's brisket! Never thought I'd see the day... :shock:

Did I miss something? Did you do the whole cook unwrapped and roughly what temp did it come off, and when it came off is that when you wrapped it. Then at what temp do you cut it up.

Bludawgs process is to cook between 300-325. At the 4 hour mark wrap in butcher paper. An hour after wrapping probe to see if it is done. If not, probe every 30minutes. Typically the brisket will finish within 6 hours of being on the pit at 300-325.

Did I miss something? Did you do the whole cook unwrapped and roughly what temp did it come off, and when it came off is that when you wrapped it. Then at what temp do you cut it up.

BluDawgs Brisket

K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb
Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub
1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)
apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg
place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from FB

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner
cook Brisket 4 hrs
remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.
after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn't *probe tender it should be within 1 hr.
once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.
Don't ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won't dry up on you like slices will.
*PROBE TENDER>This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag

BluDawgs Brisket

K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb
Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub
1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)
apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg
place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from FB

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner
cook Brisket 4 hrs
remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.
after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn't *probe tender it should be within 1 hr.
once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.
Don't ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won't dry up on you like slices will.
*PROBE TENDER>This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag

Is there a reason you specify to keep at 275-325 if smoking on a stick burner? Is it different on a WSM or Kettle?

Is there a reason you specify to keep at 275-325 if smoking on a stick burner? Is it different on a WSM or Kettle?
If operating one of those, maintain 300°F, same as the preheat. You can just maintain 300°F easier on non-stickburners. Stickburners are prone to more temp swings as your split burns down to coals and you add another split, so the goal is to operate in a band around the target temperature.

I'm sure you told me this before, but how to you keep your "probe" from dragging on the butcher when probing for tenderness?

I'm sure you told me this before, but how to you keep your "probe" from dragging on the butcher when probing for tenderness?

Poke a hole with your probe and wiggle it wider or cut a small slit with a knife. Also make sure you know where the thickest part of the flat is when you wrap. The point will fool you if you probe the wrong spot.

Ok this is it the monent ya'll been waitin for. First off I will tell ya'll this aint even close to my best. htis is probably the worst brisket I have cooked in many years and I have my self to blame for procrastinating about deep cleaning the pit and causing the pit fire, the Flat is Sahara desert dry. so much so that after I finished with the pics I broke one of my own rules and sliced the whole thing and poured a little less than a quart of AusJus over it to salvage it. Hopefull that an all night soak will make it a little more palatable.

Ok with out further adue the unveiling and dissassambly

hmm what we got here
DSCF0177.jpg
??
oh it's a Dry ass brisket
DSCF0178.jpg

I didn't shoot the unbooking
here have the flat the grain is running N&S the slice is laying in where is came off sliced across the grain about #2 pencil thick
DSCF0181.jpg

Got a nice ring all be it dry as plaster dust
DSCF0179.jpg

It even bends nice
DSCF0180.jpg

ok on to the the best part of the cow the Point. the point was dry as well about on par with a properly cooked flat.

you can see the grain we need to make 1 cut with the grain
DSCF0182.jpg

cont next frame.

turn the piece 90 deg and cut a slice these I make #2 pencil + a little

DSCF0183.jpg

This concludes the cook again I apologize to ya'll For cookin a dry one it wasn't the process it was the pitmaster. Only goes to prove even the Dawg has a bad one once in a while.

First off I will tell ya'll this aint even close to my best. htis is probably the worst brisket I have cooked in many years and I have my self to blame for procrastinating about deep cleaning the pit and causing the pit fire, the Flat is Sahara desert dry.

Looks good to me. And even if it is your worse I'm still a fan!:clap2:
Still working up the courage to try cooking a brisket for the first time......

Man, that is the reason why I never buy or eat select meat! :caked:

Bludawg - Sorry about the brisket but I learned a lot about your technique with this post. Thanks :thumb:. It is appreciated. My brisket mistakes cost me A LOT more money :mad2:

I'm thankful it was a select could have been Waygu then I would have had to break out the harikari blade that I got for my ex MIL as a birthday present to me.:lol:

Back