MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:12 PM   #1
Young Gun
Found some matches.

Default New rubs and sauces

I am working on two new rubs and sauces and will be marketing them soon. I would like to here some input on what all the bbq guru's here would like to see in rubs and sauces that would make them stand out or that would appeal to you. Thanks in advance. I know I will get the best input on the brethern form.

Young Gun
Young Gun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2007, 03:19 PM   #2
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Clark

One of the guys here gave me a batch of his "finishing sauce" which was the best damn sauce I ever had. Perfect (for me) balance of tangy (vinegar), sweetness (mollasses and honey), and heat (chipotle). I'm guessing that was his ingredients, but I loved it.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2007, 03:31 PM   #3
Young Gun
Found some matches.

Sounds good. I am trying to get that in my sauce also. Not to sweet and not to much heat with some tangyness to it. Thanks for the info.

Young Gun

Old 07-19-2007, 03:51 PM   #4
BBQ Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
I would like to here some input on what all the bbq guru's here would like to see in rubs and sauces that would make them stand out or that would appeal to you.

Young Gun
Hmmmmmm....

In my rubs and sauces I'd like to see free testing samples...

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2007, 10:43 PM   #5
Plowboy

Earlier this year when I was developing mine, I asked for tasters and sent about thirty 2 oz. samples to Brethren across the country. It was a lot of work to keep things straight, but I got a lot of input.

These guys WON'T hold anything back. Brutally honest... which should be what you want.

Also, when I sent my samples, I asked that they send their feedback to me. I wasn't asking for posts on forums or blog articles. Some did, but I was always clear that I wanted feedback, not pub.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2007, 04:47 AM   #6
CarbonToe
is One Chatty Farker

When buying hot sauces I avoid all sauce's with crass name's or label's.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:39 AM   #7
Beertender
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Plow how did that come out. With so many people from different areas and different taste I figure that would be tough. Kind of like asking online which region has the best Q. Thats why I like this forum and forgive me, a few other BBQ forums. But I like to get recipes and ideas from all over the US and Canada and other. From what I've read here and on others.... times and temps are similar but taste are all over the board. I guess just make what tastes good to you and hope everyone else agrees ? Not trying to hijack the thread Young Gun but may help you a little in the long run also.
Beertender is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2007, 06:50 AM   #8
Young Gun
Found some matches.

Thanks Guys,
I am still waiting on my first test batch. It should be here any day. This is still in the very early stage. You guys are right about different areas liking different flavors. As soon as I can get some this going I will try to get some samples out for some feedback.

Young Gun

Old 07-20-2007, 07:24 AM   #9
Beertender
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Young Gun I just noticed you're probably not even 15 mins from me. I'm right at I 10 and John Ralston. Right by Budweiser.
Beertender is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2007, 08:03 AM   #10
Porky
is One Chatty Farker

Young Gun- I would love to be one of the taste testers for your rub/sauce. Please keep me posted.
Weber OTG Walnut handle from Marty Leach
KCBS #20486,FBA certified Master judge,IMBAS (MOINK BALL) Certified

Like what you do. Do what you like.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2007, 09:26 AM   #11
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beertender View Post
Plow how did that come out. With so many people from different areas and different taste I figure that would be tough. Kind of like asking online which region has the best Q. Thats why I like this forum and forgive me, a few other BBQ forums. But I like to get recipes and ideas from all over the US and Canada and other. From what I've read here and on others.... times and temps are similar but taste are all over the board. I guess just make what tastes good to you and hope everyone else agrees ? Not trying to hijack the thread Young Gun but may help you a little in the long run also.

My experience is that sauces vary more by region that rubs do, with some small exceptions maybe. Sauces vary much, much more, IMHO.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2007, 09:52 AM   #12
kickassbbq
is One Chatty Farker

My suggestion is that you make your rubs and sauces to YOUR satisfaction!!!
It will be impossible to make them to satisfy everyone else. No matter how they come out, some will love them and some will not like them at all.
It is a subjective deal, just like BBQ.
If you like them, they will probably sell.
Smoke On!!!!!

Old 07-20-2007, 09:52 AM   #13
itschris
Full Fledged Farker

I like stuff that has a good bacon flavor to it. I haven't seen a a lot of rubs or sauces that go in that direction.
itschris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2007, 11:40 AM   #14
ZBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickassbbq View Post
My suggestion is that you make your rubs and sauces to YOUR satisfaction!!!
It will be impossible to make them to satisfy everyone else. No matter how they come out, some will love them and some will not like them at all.
It is a subjective deal, just like BBQ.
If you like them, they will probably sell.
Smoke On!!!!!
Good advice to keep in mind!!

That being said, if you need testers, count me in!!
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=blue][B][COLOR=red]Big Z's Sweet Gold[/COLOR] -[/B] [COLOR=black]R[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia]ich honey mustard flavor with a BBQ kick. [/FONT][/FONT]
Great on chicken, burgers, brats, great on ribs too!
Get ya some @ [URL="http://www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=10"]Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.[/URL]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Palatino Linotype]WSM, Weber Gasser, Weber OTG[/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=black]"Tilly"[/COLOR][/FONT] - Spicewine Single Axle[/FONT]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf"][COLOR=#810081]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf[/COLOR][/URL]

[/FONT]
ZBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2007, 12:16 AM   #15
midnight
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Todd

I have alot of people that ask me if I make a salt free rub. I also get alot of people asking if there is any msg in my rubs (no there isn't). You might already have your recipes for your rubs, but those are the two comments I get the most.

Down to one lonely ol' Bandera.
midnight is offline   Reply With Quote