• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Last minute UDS build advice (painting related)

grilling24x7

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So I have all the parts and a new unlined drum.

Tomorrow in Baltimore it's supposed to be a high of 51 degrees F. My engine paint can says 60 degrees at least.

My choices are:

1. Use propane torch to remove the new pretty black paint that's already on the drum (not high temp paint), drill holes, assemble and use with no paint.

2. Keep original paint on, drill holes, assemble and use. Remove paint in the spring and repaint with high heat paint.

3. Remove paint with torch and then attempt some sort of half ass procedure where I spray paint in the garage with a space heater and keep a window and the door cracked for ventilation.

What would you do? I'd hate to have the drum rust out with no paint protection? I really have never worked with steel and paint like this so that's why I really have no idea.

John

Keep the original paint. Unless you run your drum over 450 it will be fine. I use regular rattle can paint on mine I cook at 300 -350 never an issue.

Keep the original paint. Unless you run your drum over 450 it will be fine. I use regular rattle can paint on mine I cook at 300 -350 never an issue.

Well this sure would save me time tomorrow!!!

I just get nervous that this paint would come off and make a mess. The guy at the drum shop said the paint won't last but I'm not sure he has a good grip on low 250 degree cooking.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 197
+1 on what Blu said. I burned mine out and only touched up where the paint burnt off and haven't had any paint issues from cooking.

+1 on what the others have said original paint works fine
003.jpg

It probably also depends on how big a coal basket you have. Mine is about 16-18" diameter so it gets pretty close to the walls of the smoker and it definitely gets hot. Its 225-250oF up by the grates, but near the basket, it'll likley be much hotter.

That said. I try to never rush a paint job. It never ends well. If you can keep the smokers inside or covered, you probably won't have a problem. If you paint when it's too cold, the paint will get all weird like elephant skin and you'll end up having to remove high heat paint and then re-paint.

Worst case scenario, is you just leave the og paint and have to repaint it in the spring. Mine sit outside in CA and I give them a fresh coat or some touch up like 1 a yr or so. Just remember to take pics when they are new, because they never look as good as day 1.

new drum you can sand with a air sander 30 to 45 min it will be compete to metal
if you run a defuser you will whant 1200 deg paint because the fire has to be a lot hotter and it will burn it off .

If it was me I'd use a chemical paint stripper and paint it. It isn't a big deal to set up a little make-shift paint booth in the garage using the painters plastic and a small space heater to keep the area warm. I have done it numerous times during the winter without a problem.

My reasoning is, if I don't do it in the beginning, I will just keep putting it off until I have to do it. To this day, I still have not put on the side shelves on my UDS that I built over the summer. I just keep using one of the patio chairs as my make-shift side table.

Thanks everyone.
Ill have a 14 in diameter coal basket.

I guess Ill consider a make shift paint area in the garage. But a few of you have a good point that the original paint will probably be just fine. Worse case I hate what it looks like and repaint it in the spring!

I had a New Unlined Drum also. I did Two Burn Outs in it which did Two things It helped season the inside and also took the outside paint and made it easier to Wire Brush off with my Angle Grinder and Cup wire wheel.

I then took and gave it Two coats of 1K deg Primer paint then followed that with Two coats of 900 F Header paint in my color of choice (red).

Everything Looked Great until I found out Packing Blankets and Bungee cords Melt!!!!!! It still looks good but will get touched up this Spring!!

Good Luck and Good Cookin

Dusty

You talkin to me?

Yes. Go back to the Qtalk thread index. Right on the first page. Look for the thread that says Ugly Drum Smoker. It'll be hard to miss, it got close to 3 million hits and its 700 pages long.

Well this sure would save me time tomorrow!!!

I just get nervous that this paint would come off and make a mess. The guy at the drum shop said the paint won't last but I'm not sure he has a good grip on low 250 degree cooking.

Those are some good lookin' drums. Any info on the drum shop where you bought them?

Back