MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:27 AM   #1
SLCMACK
On the road to being a farker

Default Brisket on, need quick answers

I put a 11 lb packer on at 345 this morning and got temp up to 225 before putting it on. 3 hrs later when I checked it before leaving to go to work, it was about 215 so not knowing how long I would be at work, I filled my basket plum fool charcoal and closed the vent most of the way. When I came home 1.5 hrs later, it was at 300, not sure for how long. When I checked the flat in 2 different spots it was a little over 170 and the point at 158. Does this sound right and how do I get a juicy piece of meat out of this now? Should I foil now, as I was wanting to make burnt ends but also want going to eat until 3 today. Thanks brethren, any help is greatly appreciated

Old 08-07-2011, 08:32 AM   #2
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

I don't usually foil till the cook is over and I am holding the meat. You may or may not have gone through a stall. I would keep an eye on the temps on it over the next hour or so and make your decission then.
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2011, 08:33 AM   #3
Wampus

Many folks do brisket for the entire cook above 300, some as much as 350. You have NOT ruined anything here.

If the bark is where you want it, foil it and cook it on through. If you want it darker, wait a bit.

Basically, there's nothing to say that you cannot get a juicy piece of meat just because the cooker temp got to 300.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:39 AM   #4
SLCMACK

thanks fellas for the quick replys,I will keep a close eye on temps. At what temp should I pull and wrap, also, I was wanting to make burnt ends, I guess once I decide to foil, go ahead a seperate and cube up the point and put back on? thanks

Old 08-07-2011, 08:44 AM   #5
SLCMACK

Just checked the temps, flat was around 180-182 and the point was still at 158. Should I pull now and seperate and put the point back on because I know it needs alot more time?

Old 08-07-2011, 08:48 AM   #6
Wampus

I'm no brisket pro, but as with butts, I think it's all about the look, not necessarily the temp. I've done brisket before without foiliing at ALL and it turned out great. If the bark is where you want it, foil it to keep it out of the smoke.

TIP: Put some beef broth in with the foil when you DO wrap. This will help keep it hydrated and give it something to steam.

Basically, if the flat looks good to you, this is as good a time as any to seperate the point and put in a hotter part of the smoker (if you have one). If not.....let it ride.

Remember.....the flat is done when it's tender and not before. 182 is still probably tough. The probe should go in with no resistance. THEN and only then is it done. At this point, forget the temps. Worry about probe tenderness. Personally.....I'd probably let the whole thing go until the flat was probe tender. THEN seperate the point and put it back on and keep the flat wrapped up tight and hold in a warm oven or a cooler until the burnt ends are done.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:33 AM   #7
Sheepman
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Bark

If the bark is dark and "hard", the juices are trapped inside the meat. No worries. The "fork" test can tell you if it's tender enough. In the point if you stick a fork and can turn it freely in the meat, you're golden. Flat temp should be about 180-190.
Sheepman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2011, 10:53 AM   #8
SLCMACK

Just pulled the wrap pt from the cooker and wrapped in towel before outing in cooler. Now my problem or question is, we are not eating til around 4, how long will it be safe in the cooler? Also, at what temp should I cube up the pt for burnt ends and how long should I put back on the smoker for? Thanks brethren

Old 08-07-2011, 11:07 AM   #9
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

you're brisket will hold in a cooler for a good many hours. just be sure to vent before putting in or it can overcook itself.

stop worrying about temp.

cut off the point, put it in a pan, cover with foil and just let it cook for a couple hours. pull it out, put on the grate for a bit to bark up and you're good to go.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2011, 01:18 PM   #10
DaveMW
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
Remember.....the flat is done when it's tender and not before. 182 is still probably tough. The probe should go in with no resistance. THEN and only then is it done. At this point, forget the temps. Worry about probe tenderness. Personally.....I'd probably let the whole thing go until the flat was probe tender. THEN seperate the point and put it back on and keep the flat wrapped up tight and hold in a warm oven or a cooler until the burnt ends are done.
^^^^That is all you need to do. Wampus hit the nail on the head.

With the burnt ends, after you cube the point, sprinkle it with more rub and add a little sauce and back in the smoker for 2 more hours then pull them out and enjoy.
Weber Jumbo Joe "AH" - Black
[FONT=Century Gothic]Weber Smoky Joe "F"- Black[/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic]Weber Genesis - Black[/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic]Weber Go-Anywhere - Black[/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic]UDS - which surprisingly is not black[/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic]Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain Smoker[/FONT]
DaveMW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #11
DaveMW
is One Chatty Farker

Ironically enough I have an 11 pound packer cooking right now too. I am currently at an IT of 178. Soon I'll start probing until it slides in like butter and start seperation of point & flat. I'll cooler the flat and will put the burnt ends back in the smoker for a 6:30 PM dinner time. Good luck, let us know how she turns out. Wish my camera hadn't gone belly up or I'd post some pron.
Weber Jumbo Joe "AH" - Black
[FONT=Century Gothic]Weber Smoky Joe "F"- Black[/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic]Weber Genesis - Black[/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic]Weber Go-Anywhere - Black[/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic]UDS - which surprisingly is not black[/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic]Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain Smoker[/FONT]
DaveMW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2011, 05:39 PM   #12
SLCMACK

Ok, so I pulled the flat around 185ish and seperated the two and put the flat in the cooler and the point back on the smoker. When it hit 200ish, I brought it in cubed it up...damn, it was tasty then, but added more rub and sauce and put back on the smoker. I let the flat sit in the cooler for about 3.75 hrs before I was skeered and decided to go ahead and slice it up. It was super juicy and tender and it pulled apart like it should have but the color was disappointing. Hardly any pink to show the smoke ringe. The temp was 152 when I sliced the flat. Overall, I have alot to learn on this cut of meat or should I say practice. I knew I was going to have problems when I let it cook fat side down for 3hrs and when I flipped it, there was like a bunch of rubb clumped together, why would it do that. I had marinated the brisket in some mesquite marinade for close to 8hrs. Spinkled with Lawrys season salt and then made a mixture of course salt,black pepper,lemon pepper,canadaian streak rub(alot of thick chunks) and some cumin,and cayenne pepper and some garlic powder. Thanks to everyone for the help today. I have read and read on smoking brisket and when it came down to it, I kinda freaked out. Anyway, I will try to post some pics if I get it figured out. Its been a while. Think I might stick to the pork