MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #1
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Default The best twice smoked ham and mac n cheese recipes?

Does anyone have one that really stands out? Also any other easter dish that you've really liked in the past.

Also, I was doing some research and it seems like a lot of the recipes (even for the twice smoked ham) have curing/glaze/injection. Is this necessary?

Any tips and pointers are greatly appreciated.

I've never smoked a ham, and turkeys are .99 a lb, so I was thinking about just doing that. Thanks.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:45 PM   #2
Cloudsmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Dr. Chicken's Classic - enclosed

Dr. Chicken's Double Smoked Ham

Ham should be a fully or partially cooked ½ shank variety or it can be shoulder variety (water added can be used, as long as the water added does not exceed 23% water added product.) Patti/Jean or Cooks among the best! Also use Pecan wood as your smoke source especially if the ham is pre-smoked with hickory. The two flavors compliment each other.
Glazing Sauce:

½ cup Brown Sugar

¼ cup Maple Syrup (use dark grade B real maple syrup if available - dark grade B has more flavor than grade A)

¼ cup Honey 

2 Tbsp Cider Vinegar

1½ Tbsp Worcestershire sauce

2 Tbsp Instant Coffee granules (use a good brand because it makes a difference)

1 Tbsp Dry Mustard

2 Tbsp Orange Concentrate 

Blend all ingredients in a sauce pan with a wire whip and heat slightly until everything combines into a viscous looking sauce.

Score outer skin of ham to a depth of ½ inch in a crisscross diamond pattern. This will allow the glazing sauce to penetrate below the skin, into the actual ham. Place ham (un-glazed) into a shallow roasting pan or roasting rack.

Cooking instructions for outdoor cooking:
Place water soaked chunks of mesquite, hickory or pecan (we prefer the smoke of pecan over all the others) on coals 5 minutes before putting ham on cooker. This will allow the ham to obtain maximum smoke flavor during the second cook cycle. Maintain temperature of cooker/grill at 225° to 275° during cook cycle. (I use a ¾ full drip pan when cooking on the Eggs, filled with a 50:50 mix of water and orange juice.) Cook for 25 to 30 minutes per lb. until internal temp on the ham shows 140. Shirley O. Corriher in her book "CookWise" suggests 140°. We found this to be exactly right, every time. The ham will retain it moistness and the flavor will go thru out the ham this way.

Baste ham with glazing sauce every 10 to 15 minutes during the last hour of cooking time. Glazing compound will burn, so do not start glazing the ham until the internal temp of the ham reaches 120°.

NOTE: The secret to this process is plenty of smoke and the real maple syrup and granular coffee crystals in the glazing sauce. Use a cheaper cut of ham like mentioned before, and people will think you bought an expensive ham that you had to "hock" your kids for! Yuk! Yuk! The glazing sauce will give the ham a fantastic smell and color!

Enjoy!!! -- Dr. Chicken

Dr. Chicken’s Sweet Kiss of Death Injectable Marinade

First off, let me give a little background into the idea behind this injectable marinade and the reasoning behind it. In all honesty, even the double smoked ham recipe left something to be desired. Sometimes it left the ham tasting great, but a little too dry. I believe it was Earl or Sprinter or GFW from the BGE user’s forum that suggested I use an injectable marinade in the ham, such as Cajun Injector’s or Tony Chachere’s Honey-Pecan-Praline marinades. Believe me, they both did a great job, but neither of them added the “punch” like I wanted. So, I have kept on trying.

Well folks, I think I have come up with what I wanted. Either recipe is a winner, but using them both on the same ham will result in by far the most fantastic tasting ham you will ever try. Please give both recipes a try! You will love the results! I hope too, it will become a “family tradition” like my Mom’s and my Grandma’s was in our family.

Ingredients:
1 cup Good clean water (if your water has an offensive taste, use bottled water)
1 cup Light Karo syrup (make sure it is light Karo brand syrup)
1/8 cup Amaretto liqueur (use the real stuff it makes a difference)
2 Tbsp Watkins brand Butter Pecan extract
1 Tbsp Rum extract (again, I used Watkins because of the better taste)
1 tsp Orange extract (this compliments the orange juice concern. used in the glaze)
1½ Tbsp Vanilla extract (again, I used Watkins because of taste after the first run)

Directions for blending:
Into a medium size sauce pan add the water, Karo syrup and Amaretto. Stir frequently and heat very slowly to avoid scorching the sugars in the syrup. Then, add all the remaining ingredients and continue to stir and heat slowly. When the mix looks uniform in color and smooth, remove mix from the stove and allow it to cool to almost room temperature.

Directions for use:
Wrap ham in 2 layers of plastic wrap before starting the injection process. Using a marinade hypodermic syringe, inject at least 2 fluid ounces. Per pound of meat in a grid pattern through out the entire ham and don’t be afraid to use up to 3 ounces per pound of meat. Continue to inject the marinade into the ham until the entire amount of marinade is injected evenly into the ham.

Cook the ham as shown in the “Double Smoked Ham” recipe. Be sure to you your favorite wood for smoke flavoring. Do not cook the ham beyond 145° internal to prevent over cooking and drying out the ham.

Cheers,
Dr. Chicken (aka: Dave Spence)

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-28-2013, 06:04 AM   #3
K-JUN
is one Smokin' Farker

I love this mac and cheese. It's my families favorite.

Cook the noodles al dente'. American cheese is the key to this recipe. I've tried other cheeses but they just don't work as well. Lately it has been hard to find in blocks. I get the unwrapped sliced kind and just grate that. It doesn't have to be perfect. Allow 20 min. covered loosely to set up after it comes out of the oven.

Cooking spray for pan
1 lb elbow noodles cooked according to package directions
1 lb american cheese shredded
1 qt half and half
S & P to taste
2 tbls butter cut up

Preheat oven to 350*
In a 9" x 13" pan sprayed with cooking spray, mix cooked noodles, shredded cheese, and half and half. Season lightly with S & P, and dot with butter. Bake @ 350* for 1 hour. Remove and let it set up for 10 to 20 min covered loosely.

I hope you like it.

Brady

Cajun Grill by Percy Guidry; 22.5" WSM; GMG Daniel Boone; Crown Verity Gaser
K-JUN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2013, 07:00 AM   #4
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

This ham recipe is MITEE TASTEE.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php...detail&id=1135
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
DirtyChurro
Knows what a fatty is.

We make our mac and cheese with pepper jack and sharp cheddar cheese. Your choice of pasta. My wife makes a roux with some salt, pepper, flour, and butter and then we mix the cheese in to melt. After that we like to add green chiles and smoked chicken. Panko bread crumbs on top then in the oven to crisp up and get golden brown.
DirtyChurro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I don't have a Recipe for the ham But I do fro the Mac & Cheese

Blu's Mac & Cheese

Ingredients
2 cup dried elbow macaroni (4 cups cooked)
1 1/3 cup grated Cheddar (reserve 1 cup)
1/3 cup grated Swiss
1/3 cup grated Jack
1/3 cup grated Colby
2 1/2" of Velveta cut into 1/2 Cubes
1/2 cup sour cream
4 tablespoon butter, cut into pieces
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3/4 cup milk
1/2cup pasta water
Nonstick spray

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Season water with salt and cook macaroni until al dente, about 10 minutes. Drain pasta and place in a large bowl. While pasta is still hot, add all cheeses. In a separate medium bowl, using a whisk, combine the sour cream, butter, salt, pepper, milk and pasta water, add to the macaroni mixture. Spray casserole dish with nonstick spray and pour macaroni mixture into the dish. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown. Top with reserved 1 cup Cheddar cheese,

Old 03-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #7
PaPaQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Clyde

I will second this one- Dr. Chicken's Double Smoked Ham

PaPaQ is offline   Reply With Quote