Handling ribs

Yakfishingfool

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
OK folks, need a little help. I am cooking 15-18 racks of ribs for a neighbor. The event will be occuring about 6 hours after I smoke the ribs. The wuestion is how to get them there for their use. They have an industrial kitchen for reheating, etc. So my questions:

1. I am cooking 3-2-1. Should I a) pull at the 5 hour mark and put in coolers until party time for reheating? B) should I pull at one hour and get as cold as fast as I can? then send for reheating or should I try and carry the ribs temp wise til the party? Scott

Yak, six hours is a long time to hold ribs, I personally would cool fast as possible and re-heat for the event. YMMV:biggrin:

OK, I agree, cool as fast as possible so the cooking process halts and let them take them the last hour at the party. As for closer to the party...I'm going to see the prairie home companion and have to leave at least 3 hours before the party. Thanks for the input. Scott

Get the cook done and wrap the ribs very tight is plastic wrap and drop them in a cooler with a lot of ice. Make sure you only wrap one rack at a time some you can get the cold all the way around. Make sure you also do layers of ice and do not let any ribs touch each other and keep the ice packed all around them. You will be fine and your food will be a hit.

I just did this same thing this past weekend. I cooked them utilizing the 3-2 portion of the 3-2-1 method. With each rack foiled individually, I reheated (@ 300 degrees)the ribs in an oven at the home where the event was catered. Went real well, but that is where I added the glaze, I am not sure that is in your plans.

I ended up stacking the ribs still foiled on two pans and doing them in two batches. They had room for more, but this method worked well with the other meats I cooked. BTW, the GE Monogram series was very nice and the gas heated fast and efficient.

I do see your dilemma, Not enough time to fully chill them. My suggestion is to cook them the day before (not 6 hours) that way they will be fully chilled and ready to re-heat. I think this would be the best method. Plus you won't be too rushed. I was assuming you had to be somewhere that is why the initial 6 hour timeframe arose?

Back