MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:30 AM   #16
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomEmery View Post
Some of the folks on this BoD don't seem to do anything more than try to stop those that want to move forward. How many times can a "No Report" be listed before your peers ask you what your doing?
You nailed it here Thom!!
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Weber Performer
Certified Moink Baller
Past President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2008, 11:31 AM   #17
The Pickled Pig
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
Don't the rules say that your meat needs to stay in your spot? Seems like that would make it illegal to turn in meat that was ever in another spot after inspection.

If you have 2 teams, 2 spots, 2 sets of meat, 2 separate meat inspections, I don't see why the meat would ever need to leave it's spot.

Twitter - @ThePickledPig

CBJ, WSM, UDS Cookers, Weber Gasser, Weber One Touch Gold Kettle,
The Pickled Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:35 AM   #18
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pickled Pig View Post
If you have 2 teams, 2 spots, 2 sets of meat, 2 separate meat inspections, I don't see why the meat would ever need to leave it's spot.

You still have a cook, cooking on multiple cookers and sharing of cookers is against the rules.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:36 AM   #19
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I believe that is what happened to the Slabs and Bobbie and Lee last year at the Royal...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:36 AM   #20
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Quote:
eams shall not share an assigned
cooking space or cooking device.
I think thats the catch right there. Symatecs, but i guess it could be challenged in the way its worded.

If I have MY spot, and I go over to Vinnys spot to cook HIS Chicken, I am now SHARING with Vinny, his spot, his meat, his cooker. and i read that as NOT allowed.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:07 PM   #21
Diva
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I believe that is what happened to the Slabs and Bobbie and Lee last year at the Royal...
That was a doozie!!!! Thing is, Music City Slab Pals did not have an assigned spot. We each had our own spot. Had we known that was against the rules, we would have done things differently. My only "gripe" (if you want to call it that) is whomever decided to "bring it up" waited til Saturday morning, when I wish they would have brought it up Friday night before we started cooking.

Whomever did bring it up, obviously is no friend of mine, or else they would have had the cajones to come to me and bring it up so we could have asked the rep if it was a violation (which was unbeknownst to us). Eh, it's done, it's over and Kyle only had 3 hours to cook a brisket! LMAO!

Steph

Last edited by Diva; 06-10-2008 at 04:31 PM..
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:12 PM   #22
Vince RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

What about the ethics of one person cooking, for example, chicken for two teams? That would directly violate the spirit of the competition.

It never ceases to amaze me what people will try to do because it is considered "legal" with little or no regard given to whether it is ethical.
Vince RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:29 PM   #23
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

I hope I get this right.
The Board discussed this last month. The rules state:

2. Each team shall consist of a chief cook and as many
assistants as the chief cook deems necessary
. A team shall not
compete in more than one contest under the same team name,
on the same date
3. Each team will be assigned a cooking space. Pits, cookers,
props, trailers, motor homes, vehicles, tents or any other
equipment (including generators) shall not exceed the
boundaries of the team’s assigned cooking space. All
seasoning and cooking of product shall be done within the
assigned cooking space. Teams shall not share an assigned

This means:
A team can have any number of assistants.
A team cannot cook under the same name on the same date.
All equipment must be in the assigned space.
All prep and cooking shall be done within the assigned cooking space.
Teams shall not share an assigned cooking space or device.

It does not prevent a person from being on several teams on the same day.
The Board determined that a cook can be a member of two or more teams at the same contest. This is not prevented by the rules. This is not sharing, because when you are in space 1 you are cooking for team A. When you are in space 2 you are cooking for team B. Nothing is being shared.

Now should you forget to take off your latex gloves and take team A's latex gloves and use them on meat at team B's space you are DQ'ed,

This will be against the rules next year.
I agree with the spirit of competition remarks above. But in the mean time should Mike Davis want to come and cook with me, I guess I would live it with. Of course that will be the day cows fly over the moon.

Merl

Merl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:33 PM   #24
Jorge

I stand corrected.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:42 PM   #25
motoeric
Babbling Farker

I just sent the following email to the BoD. I have no idea if input from the members holds any weight, but it can't hurt.

Dear Board Member,

As a KCBS member, a CBJ and an event organizer; the happenings in the BBQ world are of significant concern to me. I try to stay up-to-date on matters of significance and that would obviously include anything that the KCBS takes an official position on.

I’m a bit concerned about the topic to be brought up at the next board meeting covering:

" Motion regarding Board Members discussing matters of the board on public forums (BBQ Forum) before the KCBS Board has even discussed, seen, or heard of a matter or issue. Motion by Steve Ownby"

It seems both counterintuitive to be brought forward by the person heading the Membership Committee (if I’m correct on that) and counterproductive. If part of the Boards responsibility is to accurately reflect and represent the opinions and wishes of the membership, than the membership should be provided as much information as possible so that they can, if they choose; make their voices heard.

Whether it is accurate or not, there is already a perception of the BoD having a problem with cronyism, regionalism and a lack of transparency. It seems that this motion will significantly exacerbate the transparency issue and provide unneeded and counterproductive synergy for the cronyism and regionalism.

I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on this issue at your earliest convenience.

Thank you,

Eric Devlin
[email protected]

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:28 PM   #26
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merl View Post
I hope I get this right.
The Board discussed this last month. The rules state:

2. Each team shall consist of a chief cook and as many
assistants as the chief cook deems necessary
. A team shall not
compete in more than one contest under the same team name,
on the same date
3. Each team will be assigned a cooking space. Pits, cookers,
props, trailers, motor homes, vehicles, tents or any other
equipment (including generators) shall not exceed the
boundaries of the team’s assigned cooking space. All
seasoning and cooking of product shall be done within the
assigned cooking space. Teams shall not share an assigned

This means:
A team can have any number of assistants.
A team cannot cook under the same name on the same date.
All equipment must be in the assigned space.
All prep and cooking shall be done within the assigned cooking space.
Teams shall not share an assigned cooking space or device.

It does not prevent a person from being on several teams on the same day.
The Board determined that a cook can be a member of two or more teams at the same contest. This is not prevented by the rules. This is not sharing, because when you are in space 1 you are cooking for team A. When you are in space 2 you are cooking for team B. Nothing is being shared.

Now should you forget to take off your latex gloves and take team A's latex gloves and use them on meat at team B's space you are DQ'ed,

This will be against the rules next year.
I agree with the spirit of competition remarks above. But in the mean time should Mike Davis want to come and cook with me, I guess I would live it with. Of course that will be the day cows fly over the moon.

Merl

Merl,

Why would this not be included in the BOD minutes? Here's what KCBS.us has for last month. I can't believe all of this closed door crap.

We need someone to go in there with a Press badge and write a BOD Blog. Anyone local to KC want to split 12 meetings a year with me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by May 08 BOD Report
May '08 Board Meeting Agenda

May 12, 2008

KANSAS CITY BARBEQUE SOCIETY
BOARD OF DIRECTOR’S MEETING
WEDNESDAY, May l4, 2008
AGENDA

Minutes

Accounting
Finance Committee Report

Past Contests
Sikeston, MO
Columbus, MS
Osage City, KS
Enid, OK
Jefferson City, MO
Kings Mountain, NC
Salisbury, MD
Springfield, MO
Winchester, TN
Livingston, AL
Manhattan, KS
KC, MO (HyVee)
Sugar Creek, MO
Athens, AL
Lansing, KS
Wamac, Il
Lyons, KS
Belton, MO
Richmond, MO
St. Joseph, MO
Indio, CA
Huntsville, AL
Independence, KS
Pulaski, TN
Pine Bluff, AR
N Platte, NE
Waynesboro, GA
Columbia, MO
Modesto, CA
Lawrence, KS
Bixby, OK
Platte City, MO
Ashland, MS
Council Bluffs, IA
Malden, MO
Lamar, CO

Sanction Request
Sanction Report

Committee Reports

Rules: Gray
CBJ: Roith - Discussion regarding a Master Judge
Contest Rep: Carol Whitebook – Discussion regarding a pork entry
Education: Paul Kirk No Report
Marketing: Troy Black
Marketing Update-MMA
Membership: Steve Ownby No Report
Mentoring: Tana Shupe No Report
New Ideas: Merl Whitebook - KCBS Tour discussion
- Sanctioning Policy Guaranteed Dates
- Use of and membership e-mails
Research & Development: Linda Mullane - No Report
Technology: Don Harwell - No Report
Finance Committee: Wayne Lohman
MBN: No report
Audit Estimate: No Report

Old/New Business
Troy Black: separating entries into two or more lines at the turn-in table.
Carol Whitebook: Security Issues
Conflict of Interest Policy No disclosures received
Letter from Lake Quivira Smokers

Other
Any other matter that may come before the Board

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:59 PM   #27
Bbq Bubba

I wish i could get away with "no report" for all my meetings!!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:09 PM   #28
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoeric View Post
I just sent the following email to the BoD. I have no idea if input from the members holds any weight, but it can't hurt.

Dear Board Member,

As a KCBS member, a CBJ and an event organizer; the happenings in the BBQ world are of significant concern to me. I try to stay up-to-date on matters of significance and that would obviously include anything that the KCBS takes an official position on.

I’m a bit concerned about the topic to be brought up at the next board meeting covering:

" Motion regarding Board Members discussing matters of the board on public forums (BBQ Forum) before the KCBS Board has even discussed, seen, or heard of a matter or issue. Motion by Steve Ownby"

It seems both counterintuitive to be brought forward by the person heading the Membership Committee (if I’m correct on that) and counterproductive. If part of the Boards responsibility is to accurately reflect and represent the opinions and wishes of the membership, than the membership should be provided as much information as possible so that they can, if they choose; make their voices heard.

Whether it is accurate or not, there is already a perception of the BoD having a problem with cronyism, regionalism and a lack of transparency. It seems that this motion will significantly exacerbate the transparency issue and provide unneeded and counterproductive synergy for the cronyism and regionalism.

I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on this issue at your earliest convenience.

Thank you,

Eric Devlin
[email protected]

I sent an email on the same subject
LOL Mine was worded a bit differently
Keep up the good work Eric

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:26 PM   #29
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
Merl,

Why would this not be included in the BOD minutes? Here's what KCBS.us has for last month. I can't believe all of this closed door crap.

We need someone to go in there with a Press badge and write a BOD Blog. Anyone local to KC want to split 12 meetings a year with me?
Todd, I have tried to be diligent and include as much information as possible in the minutes. And in addition surf many web site to provide answers and information to the members. Everything which may be mentioned at a meeting is not included in the minutes. Here is why.

An e-mail about the situation went out to all bod members. There were two or three replies about the fact it was not against the rules. (As a result the issue was not going to be discussed at the meeting because of agreement of all.)

When we got to the BOD meeting the only discussion was were we going to make a rule now, or wait until the the end of the year. The consensus was not to change rules mid year.

Since there was no action taken, no motion made and we did not consider making a rule, a rep advisory or take any action, it was not included.

Every item of which the board takes action or considers either up or down, we put into the minutes.

I hope this makes sense. As Secretary I give my best effort to get the information to all members.

Merl

ps, Todd, I know your not picking on me.
Merl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:27 PM   #30
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Interesting stuff indeed. most competitors would not want to cook on two teams in a given weekend... but I know there are times I would have liked to support both teams I am a member of. I would never do it... because how can you really attend to your entries appropriately in two sites... end up with mediocre meat in both places :)