MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:16 AM   #91
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pup View Post
Please tell us about the clean-up.
The funny thing is, I actually took pics of the cleanup last night. I'll get them posted later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
Your ABTs look great. Please tell me more on how you made them.
We kept it very simple, halved jalapeños (deveined & deseeded), cream cheese, a slice of thick cut black label bacon, and a very light dusting of Lotta Bull unBULLevable rub. I don't know why they were so much better than normal,but they were. I was the first time we have ever halved them (to make them go further) and we liked them better that way. They cooked around 250* (I adjusted temp a few times) for about 2 hours or a little more I'd say.

Thanks from: --->

Old 09-02-2013, 08:21 AM   #92
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Beautiful! Congrats.
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-02-2013, 08:44 AM   #93
stephan
is one Smokin' Farker

Thats a really nice looking smoker, good luck with it
JENAIR GASSER
stephan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #94
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

You had me at naked fatties

The food all looks great! Nice job!

Now, some questions
  1. How big were the briskets and the butt?
  2. What temp did you cook at?
  3. How long were they butts and briskets cooking before you foiled?
  4. How long did they take total?
  5. Can I have your Yoder?

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #95
Shiz-Nit
Babbling Farker

How much pellets did you run through on that last big cook you posted? I was just wondering how it would compare to my Backwoods Competitor on fuel usage.
In your opinion would it be cheaper to run the YS1500 or my BW Competitor?

I just sold a stick burner that I bought used and brought back to life and resold it so I have some cash to play around with on my next purchase.

Instagram - bluegrasssouthernsmokers

Deep South GC28
Forno Venetzia wood fired pizza oven
Weber Summit S-670 natural gasser
Traeger pellet pooper
BGE's
Shiz-Nit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #96
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Ron-O, I see a Yoder 1500 in your future.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #97
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
You had me at naked fatties

The food all looks great! Nice job!

Now, some questions
  1. How big were the briskets and the butt?
  2. What temp did you cook at?
  3. How long were they butts and briskets cooking before you foiled?
  4. How long did they take total?
  5. Can I have your Yoder?

1. The briskets were both 12lbs in the cryo. It's getting more and more tough to find large briskets anymore. The butt was 7lbs.
  2. I cooked at 225*
  3. I put the food on at 10 PM and I wrapped around 9 AM.
  4. Total cook time for the big cuts, 14 hours for the brisket, 15 for the butt.
  5. I didn't know you were into sheet metal work...

Old 09-02-2013, 10:58 AM   #98
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucornhusker View Post
  1. The briskets were both 12lbs in the cryo. It's getting more and more tough to find large briskets anymore. The butt was 7lbs.
  2. I cooked at 225*
  3. I put the food on at 10 PM and I wrapped around 9 AM.
  4. Total cook time for the big cuts, 14 hours for the brisket, 15 for the butt.
  5. I didn't know you were into sheet metal work...
Thanks for the info! That's similar timing to my FEC. I'm also curious about the pellet consumption when you have a chance.

I agree on finding big briskets. I used to be able to find 15 lb packers regularly but now I feel good if they are 12 lbs.

Oh yeah... Wrong Yoder

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/

Old 09-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #99
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiz-Nit View Post
How much pellets did you run through on that last big cook you posted? I was just wondering how it would compare to my Backwoods Competitor on fuel usage.
In your opinion would it be cheaper to run the YS1500 or my BW Competitor?

I just sold a stick burner that I bought used and brought back to life and resold it so I have some cash to play around with on my next purchase.

Quote:
Thanks for the info! That's similar timing to my FEC. I'm also curious about the pellet consumption when you have a chance.

I agree on finding big briskets. I used to be able to find 15 lb packers regularly but now I feel good if they are 12 lbs.

Oh yeah... Wrong Yoder

I didn't mention pellet usage!

I can get about 25lbs of pellets in the hopper (I used Lumberjack MHC), I had the controller set a 255* over night to achieve a grate temp of 225*. As the day came around a warmed up, I could set it back down to about 235*. I lit the pit at 9PM the night before, loaded the big cuts at 10:30, pulled the briskets around 1PM and put the finger foods on and kicked the controller up to 265* and ran it there until 4 PM (the fatties were very stubborn). I used a whole hopper plus about 2 more lbs. So this is not exact, but we will say 27lbs over 19 hours, so about 1.4lbs per hour and some of that was at a higher temp. So the pellet usage is pretty good for a cooker this big.

I've never cooked on a BW, but I would guess it's more efficient though.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #100
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:

Oh yeah... Wrong Yoder
I'm guessing that Yoder sells for A LOT more than mine.

I normally say anything I own is for sale for the right price, but this pit is so dang even and predictable. That's worth it's weight in gold to me. The biscuit test I did shows that better than anything.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #101
Ron_L

Quote:

I can get about 25lbs of pellets in the hopper (I used Lumberjack MHC), I had the controller set a 255* over night to achieve a grate temp of 225*. As the day came around a warmed up, I could set it back down to about 235*. I lit the pit at 9PM the night before, loaded the big cuts at 10:30, pulled the briskets around 1PM and put the finger foods on and kicked the controller up to 265* and ran it there until 4 PM (the fatties were very stubborn). I used a whole hopper plus about 2 more lbs. So this is not exact, but we will say 27lbs over 19 hours, so about 1.4lbs per hour and some of that was at a higher temp. So the pellet usage is pretty good for a cooker this big.

Hmmm... So the set temp is not grate temp. That makes sense since the sensor isn't at grate level but I never thought of that. I'm also not used to pit temp changing with the weather since the FEC is insulated. Neither are a big deal, but just part of the learning curve with a new pit.

That about double the usage of my FEC. I go through about 8 lbs at a typical competition. The FEC is on for about 18 hours total.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/

Old 09-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #102
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
Ron-O, I see a Yoder 1500 in your future.
Yeah... Maybe. Maybe not.

I'm thinking about making a change but I'm not sure what to change to, or if I really want to change at all.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/

Old 09-02-2013, 11:26 AM   #103
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Hmmm... So the set temp is not grate temp. That makes sense since the sensor isn't at grate level but I never thought of that. I'm also not used to pit temp changing with the weather since the FEC is insulated. Neither are a big deal, but just part of the learning curve with a new pit.

That about double the usage of my FEC. I go through about 8 lbs at a typical competition. The FEC is on for about 18 hours total.
On my YS640 the set temp was consistent with grate temp, so maybe the software just needs a bug worked out in it.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #104
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Quote:

So at 27 lbs of pellets, what does that cost you for a big cook like this?
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #105
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pup View Post
Please tell us about the clean-up.
Since it was asked, here we go.

This is the HMS plate after two briskets, a pork butt, two fatties and lots of bacon drippings from the finger foods. I use an 8" Drywall Taping Knife to clean it and the bottom of the cooker. It works great. Cleaning this took about 2 mintues.

This is the bottom of the cooker with all of the scrapings below. Otherwise it would just be grease and pellet ash.

The question has been asked about grease fires due to the sunken firepot. I think you would have to deliberately try to cause one by parking it on a hill, hopper side down, and never cleaning your cooker. You can see in the above picture where the grease starts. Plus the next picture shows three areas circled. It isn't very clear in this picture, but each circle notes an elevation change. So you would have to have grease pool up really deep to get over all of these obstacles.

Finally, cleaned cooker and plate.

The other thing I noticed is that this cooker smells like a well seasoned pit already. The overall cleanup time took about 15 minutes, including scraping the grates. Yes it takes longer than removing foil, but I feel the quality of the food is worth the extra work.

Thanks from: --->

Tags
food pron, pellet cooker, pellet grill, pellet smoker, smoke, Yoder, Yoder Smokers, Yoder YS1500