The build has begun!!!

Muscrat

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I finally got all my ducks in a row to get the new smoker started. Ill pick up the chamber tomorrow around lunch. It will be 1/4" thick and the inner firebox will be also 1/4". It will have 2" of insulation and the outer skin will be 3/16" thick. One of the things I changed from the last build was the trailer frame size. This one is 2x4 ret tubing instead of 2x3. Here are a few pics of today's progress.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 1,077
Not sure what happened with the pics!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 1,072
I still have a few braces to add to the trailer frame.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,069
This is the opening for the box. I hope it's big enough. The insulation will be here tomorrow. The box will no finished hopefully tomorrow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,058
It looks awesome muscrat. Been trying to make myself do a build. Hope you keep the pics coming. I'm starting to feel inspired

Pics will be plentyful. If I could figure out how to post more than one at a time it would be a lot easier.

Good to see your post Muscrat. Looks like that is going to be one massive smoker! It was good to meet you awhile back.

I'm glad you seen the post I couldn't remember you name on here. I got home from shreveport week and a half ago. It was good to meet a fellow BBQ nut like me. Trying to get done with this thing before I get deployed again. Hopefully it'll be ready for paint Wednesday. Wife and kids are in England so I have plenty of time to work on it!!!!!

Awesome muscrat. Cannot wait to follow the build. Looks great so far

I picked up the chamber this morning and got it home, fitted the cap and welded it on and welded the seam. I went to stand it up an bout blew my guts out. Dang 1/4" is heavy!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 945
I got the 2 boxes joined now. The box has to be 500lbs when it's finished.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 907
Little close up of the door opening

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 474
I forgot to include this pic earlier. I has some insulation left from the last build so I insulated the front side of the box before I welded them together.

Last edited:
Here is a shot of the back of the box. I used what I had left so now I'm waiting on the ups man to deliver the rest of the insulation.

Last edited:
Looking mighty fine! All that 1/4 inch steel will be heavy, don't hurt yourself tryin to heft it around the shop. Hopefully you have a engine hoist, couple of car jacks or some buddys that like BBQ.

Back