MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:09 PM   #16
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

IMO learning on an offset really forces you to learn the basics of fire control.

Yeah sure cheap ones suck at keeping even temps but having to actually build a fire and keep it stoked, whether with charcoal or wood, can go a long way in learning technique. Don't get me wrong, Minion method is great, but there is just something primal about building a fire and having to keep up with it.

A UDS just seems too easy for a beginner. No problem with starting out with one though!! He just might have trouble if he moves on to something like a Lang 48 or similar with never having actually learning good fire control.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:18 PM   #17
Enkidu
Take a breath!

I am getting pretty excited to make mine.

I have been smoking for the last 10 months mostly with my 22" OTG (although I also made a mini-WSM). I've gotten pretty good with the OTG, but it still takes a bit of babysitting to get and keep the temperature I want, particularly with longer cooks. I can only imagine how much easier it will be to maintain temperatures for a long time with a UDS without the need to babysit it, constantly adjust vents, add water into a water pan, add more charcoal, etc. I bet it will also be far more efficient on fuel too.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:31 AM   #18
JOMANCHU
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

X2 what flying bassman said. I started on a cheap offset (which I still have) and man will it drive anyone nuts trying to maintain the desired temp. Got another free offset and is a little better at holding temps. Built a UDS and now have no idea what to do with all my free time. Holds steady temp for long hours. Will be building another soon.
JOMANCHU is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 12:52 AM   #19
bbqbuff
Got Wood.

My first smoker was a UDS. I do agree with Marty, keep the lid closed.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:25 AM   #20
Pole D
is one Smokin' Farker

Yes! You will be fine with a UDS.
Pole D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #21
smokemaster1
Full Fledged Farker

Build a UDS!! I wish I would have when I started. My first smoker was an ECB, then a Silver Smoker Offset, then WSM and finally a UDS. Save money. You'll be happy with a UDS!!!

Old 01-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #22
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grilling24x7 View Post
I've been posting a lot about UDS building b/c I'm researching it heavily. I wanted to get a few of my friends in on it so perhaps we could build 3-4 at a time all together.

sounds like the makings of some great weekend bbq get-togethers.
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 02:27 PM   #23
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

UDS is definitely the way to go. Its not as expensive as a WSM, you know exactly how it works because you built it. Its easy to mod if you think it needs to be tweaked, but honestly you don't need to mess with it unless you are a perpetual tinkerer (like I am) and that won't necessarily work in your favor (see below).

Tips from my own personal experience:
- If you use a remote thermometer like a Maverick et732, then don't bother with grommet type mods. Just cut a small shallow notch in the lip of the drum, so that the probe wire does not get crimped by the lid against the rim.

-Forget foiling. Wastes time and foil.

-Make sure you have 2 racks to cook on, possibly a third rack for a clay saucer or other heat deflector. Make sure the top rack leaves enough head room for turkeys, etc.

- I added 1 pipe valve on a riser (fat man mod) so I wouldn't have to bend down all the time to adjust temp. Then I added risers to the other 3 intakes so I wouldn't have to bend down at all (fat AND lazy mod). That's when my drum stopped being able to make it above 270°F. Lesson learned: don't mess with the UDS design too much. (I added a 5th intake 1.25" without a riser and can easily do higher temp cooks now).

And of course, the big UDS thread is an awesome resource!
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #24
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

I agree with what the gentleman above said! There are actually two fat boy mods though. Ones the riser pipe. The other is just using the toe of your boot to adjust the ball valve!

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #25
razrbakcrzy
is one Smokin' Farker

I built (5) so far and can buy all the stuff to build for about $115-120 and have it built in 2 days (4) hours each day....

and yes its easy to learn on .....
[FONT=Arial][B]Future Smoker [/B][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]$5438.25 Total BYC Smoker!![/FONT]

[SIZE=2]Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985 [/SIZE]
razrbakcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 05:15 PM   #26
jeffjenkins1
Babbling Farker

No, he will get spoiled! Seriously, my UDS is the easiest cooker to use of all my cookers!

Jeff
18" Weber OTS
Primo Oval XL
NB American Gourmet offset smoker
UDS
Big Chief Smoker
Turkey Fryer
jeffjenkins1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #27
grilling24x7
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks to all! I'm officially excited. Working on collecting information and materials now! I'll keep everyone posted!

Old 01-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #28
vafish
Full Fledged Farker

A uds is what I started on.
Silver UDS with weber lid, UDS #2 black with a weber lid, 1995 Treager pellet grill, 22.5 Weber
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2013, 09:46 PM   #29
rockinshelby
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I'm also fairly new to real BBQ. I've done lots of grilling and smoking on the little chief but I'm really looking forward to building a UDS.
rockinshelby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Beginners, learning, smoker, uds