MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
clikover
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Brisket Flats - "HAVE to" foil & inject them???

I have read elsewhere that you "HAVE" to inject & foil a flat at 150, or it will be way too dry. What do you guys think?

This doesn't really make sense to me, because if you don't believe that the fat from the point "bastes" the flat (the old fat cap up/down debate)...then it shouldn't matter if the point is attached, or not, right?

I am currently cooking my first flat and am debating about what to do when it hits the stall...do I foil, or not??? I did NOT inject it, because I only read this stuff about "having" to inject a flat after I had put it on the pit.

Thanks for the input.
clikover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Where did you read that you "have to"? It's your meat, you don't have to do anything

I do inject because I feel that it helps add moisture and flavor, but it's not at all mandatory. I'm not consistent about foiling. I do briskets both ways and have gotten good results both ways.

As far as the point basting the flat, I cook fat cap down, so the point is below the flat, so no basting is occuring, but I do find that the flat portion above the point is usually moister and tastier. I think (note I said think :) ) that the point insulates the flat and helps it from getting dried out, but that's just my theory. YMMV.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #3
Sway
Full Fledged Farker

I did my first flat a few weekend back, I covered mine in a foil pan and added some beer in with it. All in all it was a bit dry, but I heard flats can be tricky altogether.

Good luck. Oh and don't forget to wrap it and let it rest in a coler.
Sway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've never injected a brisket. I don't usually inject anything. I'm not saying it won't help, but I've just had good results not doing it. I think that drying out brisket comes from overcooking it.

I usually do foil, but just because when the bark gets where I like it, I'll foil at that point. I put beef broth in the foil and that seems to help.

You don't HAVE TO do anything. If you want, try it and see if you like the results. Plain and simple.

Tags
Brisket flats, foiling, injecting