MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:07 PM   #16
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Is now a good time to put up a for rent sign?
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #17
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

I can't help thinking it would have been better to partner up with existing KCBS events rather than running in competition. I guess they are a big sponsor and can do what they want. Doesn't effect my area anyways as they avoided Ohio, but I can see some established comps losing some bigger teams becasue of it.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:10 PM   #18
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011, 03:17 PM   #19
sitnfat
is one Smokin' Farker

I bet the 600 spots fill up fast!!

Old 02-02-2011, 03:28 PM   #20
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
Thank goodness Madison, WI is closer to you.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:44 PM   #21
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

I think I'm going to go bottom feed in that texas region

ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #22
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

I think this is a great step forward. I'm sorry the PNWBA area didn't get representation but it's sometimes difficult to please all. I guess some New England teams are also PO'd.

But I think they did a fantastic job of spreading this around so people from most parts of the country could compete and have a regional that wasn't too far from the locals. I for one think it's fantastic that they didn't focus on the KC area. This is national event and they did it right. Prize money sounds good. I think that most of us who try for this will be able to keep 10/14 open until we see how we do in the Regionals. For me it's a little easier as I hope to compete in June in the Indy bracket. That bracket does have comps that conflict with local MI contests but I can juggle things there.

My bet is all 600 spots fill up by the 2/11. Hope not because I'd love to get a couple of shots at it.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:56 PM   #23
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

One a little closer to the STL would have been nice...oh well, thats why trailers have wheels.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011, 04:59 PM   #24
Finney
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyEarl View Post
You have to give Sam's Kudo's for trying, BUT...
I think I'll pass this year. The KC contest is bound to fill fast and be huge.
They should have set up a full regional around KC with the number of teams around here. Heck we have North KC, Lenexa, Great American, Shawnee & let's see who am I missing, oh THE ROYAL => All these contests are over 100 teams. Can any other region claim the same? Not to mention the number of CBJ's in this area.
WOW!!! Good luck to all those competing.
It won't be huge because they are limiting the local events to 30 teams.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:02 PM   #25
Fat Woody
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Certified judges

Regarding judging - this is straight from the KCBS site:

"Sam’s Club BBQ Series judging information

February 2, 2011

All 26 events in the Sam’s Club BBQ Series will utilize KCBS Certified Barbeque Judges.
Interested judges will be able to register online once team registration has been completed; information on how to register will also be posted after team registration is complete. Only certified judges with active membership are allowed to register; certification and membership will be verified.

Event Directors will send confirmation via e-mail to judges.

Stay tuned for more information."
Owner/Operator of: Superior "Stealth" SS2, Brinkmann "Lefty" Bandera clone (retired), Comalco Black Dog grill, and various Weber kettles.
World's fastest [B]Belgian/Cuban Racing Yellow[/B] thermapen.
Fat Woody is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011, 05:15 PM   #26
getyourrubonbbq
Take a breath!

Thinking I'm doing this one!
[URL="http://www.extremebbqtrailers.com"]www.extremebbqtrailers.com[/URL]
getyourrubonbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011, 05:32 PM   #27
HarleyEarl
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
I think this is a great step forward. I'm sorry the PNWBA area didn't get representation but it's sometimes difficult to please all. I guess some New England teams are also PO'd.

But I think they did a fantastic job of spreading this around so people from most parts of the country could compete and have a regional that wasn't too far from the locals. I for one think it's fantastic that they didn't focus on the KC area. This is national event and they did it right. Prize money sounds good. I think that most of us who try for this will be able to keep 10/14 open until we see how we do in the Regionals. For me it's a little easier as I hope to compete in June in the Indy bracket. That bracket does have comps that conflict with local MI contests but I can juggle things there.

My bet is all 600 spots fill up by the 2/11. Hope not because I'd love to get a couple of shots at it.
I do think it is a great idea, but when you look at where the majority of the teams will be coming from in the Ft. Worth Region and the level of support for the KCBS, wouldn't it have made more sense to have more contests in Kansas, Missouri, or Oklahoma and have the regionals in Oklahoma rather than targetting in on Texas? Not sour grapes, I just think they could have done a little more research before laying out the schedule. Since the PNWBA area didn't get representation, it looks like Sam's was looking at other criteria than where the competitiors hail from - just thinking on the keyboard...
CBJ
Six UDS's, Traeger 125, Traeger Jr, two HD Off-sets, and a home-made Trailer mounted smoker
Funny Farm BBQ
[URL="http://www.FunnyFarmBBQ.us"]www.FunnyFarmBBQ.us[/URL]
[COLOR=darkred][B]***2010 Great American Barbecue Baste of the Year***[/B][/COLOR]
HarleyEarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011, 05:56 PM   #28
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I hate to be a wet rag. But the PNWBA is a governing body on their own aren't they? I beielve there are a couple of KCBS contests up in those parts, right? Why would they focus in that area? KC/Missouri region was way too low for numbers of cooks in the area. Especially when compared to Texas that doesn't even support more than 1 KCBS contest? Nothing in the NE and that isn't right either.

For rent.... for right price, money back guarantee. Limited opportunities. Willing to travel
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011, 06:39 PM   #29
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

It could be that the saturation of Sam's Clubs may have been a deciding factor. I only know of one small store in the Seattle area, home of Costco.

Hell, in the Dallas area I know of and have been in at least 10 stores and I don't know the saturation in Ft. Worth, which is a whole nother world (like where the West begins and if that is true, then Dallas is where the East peters out).

I'm surprised about the Ft. Worth site because a new Flagship (one of only three in the world) Sam's/Wally World is being built in Dallas but it may not be open in time.
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011, 06:43 PM   #30
Finney
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
Looks like you can only pick one local event.
Quote:
teams will be allowed to register one (1) time for one (1) local event.