Do contests profit

WineMaster

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Do first or even second and third year contests make a profit for charities. How do they market to be profitable.

well, by the responses we were getting from some of the organizers in that other thread and them not wanting us cooks to know what really happens at contests.... I would have to say yes.... Some for sure do...

well, by the responses we were getting from some of the organizers in that other thread and them not wanting us cooks to know what really happens at contests.... I would have to say yes.... Some for sure do...

We don't know what goes on in BOD meetings, we don't know what Organizers meet about (well some of them), and we don't know why a judge gave us a 5 when the rest gave us 9's. Why do I stay in this hobby, I don't know either.. :icon_smil

Ignorace is bliss in BBQ competition i reckon.

I guess it all depends on the charity. Sometimes I wonder about the smaller ones. I do know that there are usually raffles and such that bring in some extra money for the charities around here.

It entirely depends on the event.

The location, the size, the scope, the side events, the attendance, the overhead, do attendees pay admission, etc.

As you can imagine, it's a mixed bag. Some do, some don't.

I realize that doesn't help much. Sorry.

Eric

well, by the responses we were getting from some of the organizers in that other thread and them not wanting us cooks to know what really happens at contests.... I would have to say yes.... Some for sure do...[/quote]

Are they not supose too.
It seems in the packet from the KCBS that there is little if any Blue sky for the Organization that the event is held for. We are thinking of holding an event at our Eagles club. Each year we have our annual Eagles Cancer telethon. The telethon raises hundreds of thousands of dollars for research and this year is the 55th annual. We would like to have a contest that would make some money for the event.

Dan

Cool, let me know the dates. I am all for raising money for cancer research....

My last comment was more of a jab at some of the contest organizers in another thread, that didn't want any insight from us cooks... :cool:

We don't know what goes on in BOD meetings, we don't know what Organizers meet about (well some of them), and we don't know why a judge gave us a 5 when the rest gave us 9's. Why do I stay in this hobby, I don't know either.. :icon_smil

Ignorace is bliss in BBQ competition i reckon.

very well said!:roll:

you can make money but dont plan on it thats for shure. i wanted to give to charity but came up 1000 short and i did not have all the kcbs bull chit rules and all there money grabing going on

I have some that do well others are designed to break even
Example the $40. entry fee contest with a Christmas Party
and a feed the Troops after the contest
That was not a huge money maker :)
I make more hauling garbage than I do running contests

Even as a first year event last year, we made SOME for the BIA. I was apparently not privy to know what the final numbers were as we asked over in St. Louis and were ignored.

In a nutshell, our contest has expenses of judging supplies, crappers, dumpsters, ice, band/entertainment, fuel for generator and (if not donated this year), a generator. This year, we'll have awards cost too. Almost all of out entry fees go back to prize pool except for what we pay for sanctioning and rep fees. So, anything that we are able to provide to the charity is what we raise from sponsors in excess of all those expenses I listed above. Not an easy task in this economy. We're HOPING we can clear a couple thousand for March of Dimes this year. Depends on the generousity of three or so of our major sponsors. As organizers, we do it all for free. We don't reimburse ourselves for our time but on a couple of things, we do for out of our own pocket expenses.

I noteworty cause can get you bigger sponsor dollars. For example, Corporate sponsors may have money earmarked for United way spending. If they can sponsor a contest, and get the majority of sponsor dollars to go to thier charity they are usually happy. Some chairities will bring a list of sponsors to you....

Smaller causes, typically get smaller donations earmarked for them... and prize money is typically a function of marketing. How many eyes that advertiser/sponsor will get - they are buying a marketing campaign. Many times, that is tough to come by... which is why if you are after big prize money, or a more polished event - you bring in a professional organizer like some of our brothers here.

Now some of us weak organizers... do our contests in trailer parks, in the dead of winter, where the only prize money is left over $$, after costs are removed from the entry fees!!! So poor payout, but low barrier for entry, and lots of fun. And we dont sanction, to keep as much of the money in the prize pot as possible. (and we dont follow KCBS guidelines,)

I believe that organizing a contest should be as profitable as competing. That being said, as long as you break even in the end, (or make money for the charity) that's part of what really matters. You should do this for the love of it, not to profit from it. I compete in hopes that I can make back what I spent to keep competing. If your passion is to organize a contest, a successful contest, then I wish you the best of luck in hopes that you can make the money back, have fun, and want to organize another great contest next year !

We all have jobs, we make money from that. Let's not turn our fun of BBQ into another job to where we hope to profit from it.

our contest cost us(actually costs our hosts... a lot!).

No, or minimal sponserhsip, and all entry fees go to the prize pool.

Costs associated? venue, electric, sanitation, water, security, trophies, amenities, etc, they add up. Then add in the sanctioning fee, per team fee and Rep charges from KCBS. Without good sponsors, someone has to pay.

I sat down with some event companies and a local organization and after putting it on paper, it's a lot of work for a potential huge loss! Kudos to organizers

When you get right down to it, it's a wonder that these contests are as popular as they are.

Most competitors spend a lot to compete, the winners may break even, the event itself nets little or no money for the organizers, the judges and table captains are volunteers for the most part, and the general public isn't even supposed to sample the 'cue.

The effort is basically for camaraderie, the love of cooking great barbecue, and bragging rights/bling for a few.

You hope either the charity or the orgainizer make money...Pretty much the only way it will ensure its life, other than the event staff know it is going to take a loss and just want to run it!

Are they not supose too.
It seems in the packet from the KCBS that there is little if any Blue sky for the Organization that the event is held for. We are thinking of holding an event at our Eagles club. Each year we have our annual Eagles Cancer telethon. The telethon raises hundreds of thousands of dollars for research and this year is the 55th annual. We would like to have a contest that would make some money for the event.

Dan

Definitely post this contest if you get one put together. Minnesota isn't too far to drive for a good cause, much less a contest.

When you get right down to it, it's a wonder that these contests are as popular as they are.

Most competitors spend a lot to compete, the winners may break even, the event itself nets little or no money for the organizers, the judges and table captains are volunteers for the most part, and the general public isn't even supposed to sample the 'cue.

The effort is basically for camaraderie, the love of cooking great barbecue, and bragging rights/bling for a few.

I second that!

We are organizing a first year event, and I am personally into it for the cost of the hot dog eating contest. Just trying to help it break even, maybe.

Back