MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:13 AM   #61
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 10:13 AM   #62
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
How would you do that, without a DQ?
I wasn't even thinking along those lines George. Just a wishful statement for a possibility.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #63
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

By the way... this sux with briskets so don't try.

Edict.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:24 AM   #64
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

If they are gonna change it up. I'd like to see them really Change it up.
Pork category would require Sliced, Pulled and chunks in the box. That would make it fun.
It would also widen the scoring gap in that category. But the person that cooks the best Pork would always come out on top.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine

Last edited by WineMaster; 02-26-2013 at 11:59 AM..
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-26-2013, 11:32 AM   #65
Cayman1
is one Smokin' Farker

So if I could find a 10-12 lb. butt, if there is such, trim it to at least 5 lbs. prior to cooking, leaving the mm and tubes to be cooked, does this comply with the rule?

Old 02-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #66
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuleTuf View Post
<<bbq forum poll>>
Do you agree with the 2014 pork rule that KCBS just made?
Votes Ratio
Yes 33 12%
No 130 49%
What Rule? 73 27%
Doesn't matter to me 30 11%
266 votes total
Does this matter?

Apparently Scottie and Dr. BBQ figured out the bbq forum poll hack.
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-26-2013, 12:30 PM   #67
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

I am really getting a kick out of all the people that are saying this is catering to people who know nothing and don't know how to cook. Some of the folks I have been talking to that are most excited by this change are very well established cooks with enough statues, barreltops and crowns to fill up a room.

The other thing I'm amused by is everyone worrying about something they aren't going to be doing. If you like what you are doing, stick to your guns. If you want to experiment and start doing something different, then go for it, the new rule allows you more flexibility.

Personally, I am not seeing a whole lot of advantage in cooking all the muscles separately either grilled or cooked slowly but I have not done a lot of experiments either. Most of us have adapted our processes to already accomplish what this rule change seeks to do. I still think that this just gives cooks some more leeway to be more creative, which i think is a good thing. I'm as worried about pork fatties as I am brisket burgers and chicken salad.

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #68
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzlebrake View Post
I am really getting a kick out of all the people that are saying this is catering to people who know nothing and don't know how to cook. Some of the folks I have been talking to that are most excited by this change are very well established cooks with enough statues, barreltops and crowns to fill up a room.
Regionally or Nationally?
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #69
landarc

"statues, barrel tops and crowns" means The Jack and The Royal. It can only mean that.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 12:51 PM   #70
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Bobby View Post
Regionally or Nationally?
What does it matter?
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #71
Wampus

Has anyone actually tried to part out a butt and cook individual parts separately and see if there's any kind of advantage? My gut tells me that a piece of pork, no matter if attached or detached is going to need time to render and cook completely anyway, but if that's the case, then why the no parting rule in the first place? There's a lot of folks who are saying they're not changing anything. Surely there are also others that will.

I'm fairly new to BBQ and definitely new to competing, so take my comments as you will, but I have to wonder why all the fuss if it's not going to matter one way or the other?

Old 02-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #72
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
Has anyone actually tried to part out a butt and cook individual parts separately and see if there's any kind of advantage? My gut tells me that a piece of pork, no matter if attached or detached is going to need time to render and cook completely anyway, but if that's the case, then why the no parting rule in the first place? There's a lot of folks who are saying they're not changing anything. Surely there are also others that will.

I'm fairly new to BBQ and definitely new to competing, so take my comments as you will, but I have to wonder why all the fuss if it's not going to matter one way or the other?
By some people's rationale on here, you can separate a butt and cook the parts in a matter of a couple hours... If that's the case, I'm going to trim my ribs into one bone servings and I should be able to get those cooked in about an hour.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 01:14 PM   #73
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ique View Post
What does it matter?
It doesn't. Just a question of curiosity. Based on what I've read here and heard in conversation, a number of cooks with barreltops, statues and crowns don't care one way or the other. However, most of the ones I've talked to are only from my neck of the woods.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 01:28 PM   #74
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

I trust this is not directed at me. I can only assume it is because I am the only one that mentioned "catering."

I cautiously prefaced my post with the understanding that it was from a catering "perspective" and did so mostly not to ridicule the competitor (which I have had success in both worlds), but offered the technique mostly because since it was not legal before, someone may want a starting point since I have been doing this for a while. I certainly did not insinuate that anyone did not know how to cook. Please inform me where I said this?

This particular dish... essentially a portioned butt.

I also said I had no idea if it would win... only that it was really good. It had never been tweaked to win a contest because it would not have been legal.

As far as competition I go way back as Rick Flair... several of us do... so far back we NEVER thought injecting would be legal. Not incidentally, wrapping a but super tight THEN injecting it is a technique caterers have used for years LONG before injections were legal... and now that's an acceptable technique in competition.

Simply put, for those that want to, the Shake IS a good starting point for those that want to experiement on portioned cuts from someone who knows the process... just like people used to come to me when I injected, because I had.... and near my neck of the woods it was not koshur.... and no one else had the balls to bend the rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzlebrake View Post

The other thing I'm amused by is everyone worrying about something they aren't going to be doing. If you like what you are doing, stick to your guns. If you want to experiment and start doing something different, then go for it, the new rule allows you more flexibility.

Personally, I am not seeing a whole lot of advantage in cooking all the muscles separately either grilled or cooked slowly but I have not done a lot of experiments either. Most of us have adapted our processes to already accomplish what this rule change seeks to do. I still think that this just gives cooks some more leeway to be more creative, which i think is a good thing. I'm as worried about pork fatties as I am brisket burgers and chicken salad.

Edict.

Last edited by Pitmaster T; 02-26-2013 at 02:57 PM..

Old 02-26-2013, 02:55 PM   #75
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post

I was attempting to answer this question because as near as I know, even in catering, I am the only one that does... and all the while wish I had of done it before when I did compete... but then again, I rarely went into pork territory in those days unless I was "Rib Rangerin' it."

I used to for instance suck at chicken while I did well in ribs and brisket. So some people may just not turn anything in.. a better strategy is to turn SOMEthing in, LOL. You'd be surprised how well a lawrys seasoned chicken half can do. LOL

Didn't y'all have the same consensus when that KCBS chicken salad rule came out? We all pretty much said, some will do it, some will do as they were doing it. Then "the pillow" was released. LOL

Edict.