Does exist a SECOND STALL?

Enrico Brandizzi

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi Brethren,
In my last 2 brisket cooking sessions I discovered that a second stall exists.
Some details:
Black Angus packer brisket 7 lbs
250 F cooking T grill probe
Meat probe in the thickest part of the flat
5 hours and moved in butcher paper to finish

Using igrill2 therm and its graph (i am very disappointed about the duration shown in the graph) I discovered that after the first stall round 150F wich everyone knows, there is a second stall wich starts at 190 F (+_3/4F) and goes on for other hours, maybe 2/3 more hours.
Has this happened to you?

iGrillDoYou 6 di BBQness, su Flickr

iGrillDoYou 7 di BBQness, su Flickr

iGrillDoYou 8 di BBQness, su Flickr

Does it happen to You????

I've often encountered a stall around 180. I believe that collagen turns to liquid at around 180, and that the phase change (solid to liquid) requires a significant amount of heat energy. That being said, there are a bunch of guys on here who understand the science a lot better than I do, so I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
As for what you can do about it: foil and/or more heat seem to be your two choices.

I can remember a small/slight 2nd stall when I cooked at 225. No stalls now that I cook at 300. You might want to try 275 to see if that resolves the issue. The bp should have helped keep the stalls to a minimum:confused:

At that cooking temperature is normal. I usually cook at a higher temp so mine will power right through the stall. I like to cook between 275 and 325 but that's my preference.

Ya at low temps depending on the size of the meat, it can happen...

Stalls don't bother me any more, cooked so many briskets for 18-20 hours I forget stalls exist...cook till bark looks good, wrap in butcher paper, then towards 3/4 of the cook will check for tenderness and temp to get an idea where I am at, then wait till it's done...

At 275°F, you can also get a second stall, but, it is pretty short. I don't know why it happens, it just does sometimes happen. At 225° to 250°F it happens fairly often.

The stall is the result of moisture from rendered fat coming to the surface of the meat and evaporating, cooling the surface and thus keeping the IT from rising. As long as moisture is rising to the surface there will be a stall and throughout the cook pockets of fat continue to render, producing more surface moisture and once again slowing the cooking process.
Think of the times when you were in the hot sun and began to sweat, the evaporating sweat had a cooling effect on your skin and your insides as well, God's air conditioning! :wink:

P.S. Spritzing creates the same kind of result, it lengthens the cook and is basically a man made stall.

In your hopinion, in aluminion foil does the second stall happen???
Same other conditions.
Foil (the Texas crutch) and to a slightly lesser extent butcher paper stops the evaporation process and in-turn stops the stall.

I've had a second stall at 185-190F on my first packer. I damn near freaked out but I stayed calm and followed the tips of veterans and the cook turned out ok! It goes to show the importance of cooking by temp/feel vs time.

Back