MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:31 PM   #1
Tricky
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Need your Q recommendations for a trip to Raleigh-Durham NC

Next week my son and I am heading to North Carolina for a few days (he qualified for the AAU junior olympics in track).

My brother went to school in Durham and recommended The Pit in Durham and The Pig In Chapel Hill as having good Q. But I’d like to get the input of the Brethren on what places I should be hitting and on any particular menu items I need to try.

Thanks in advance!
Rec Tec with bull horns -- UDS (Big Blue) -- 2 Weber kettles -- Weber gasser -- DCS outdoor stainless built-in nat. gasser with smoker box and rotisserie -- Dutch ovens a-plenty -- bright yellow can't-lose-me Thermapen

Last edited by Tricky; 07-25-2019 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: Typo
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2019, 06:33 PM   #2
kevrol
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Bullocks in Durham is really good. Sadly lots of old family owned bbq places are closing. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-25-2019, 06:34 PM   #3
Tricky
is one Smokin' Farker

Oh, we’ll be flying in and out of RDU but will actually be heading to Greensboro once we’re there, so I’m interested in joints in that area too (and along the way to and from). Thanks
Rec Tec with bull horns -- UDS (Big Blue) -- 2 Weber kettles -- Weber gasser -- DCS outdoor stainless built-in nat. gasser with smoker box and rotisserie -- Dutch ovens a-plenty -- bright yellow can't-lose-me Thermapen
Old 07-25-2019, 07:59 PM   #4
kevrol
Knows what a fatty is.

Stamey’s is the local Gboro joint that everyone talks about. Personally I think it’s living on its reputation but is right off the highway if you happen to be here around mealtime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-25-2019, 10:05 PM   #5
WoodBBQ
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Wood

Backyard BBQ off Hwy. 55
WoodBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 07-25-2019, 10:30 PM   #6
WhitesideJC
Full Fledged Farker

Check out Picnic in North Durham. I think it's some of the best barbecue in the triangle area.

L BGE // Cinder Block Pit // Shirley 24 x 36 Patio
WhitesideJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:39 AM   #7
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

There's really not much...I went to school in Raleigh (NC State) and most of the BBQ I tried out there was pretty poor.

The Pit was not too bad, but not really something I would recommend. High prices and decent enough food, but nothing that really amazed or wowed me.

I've heard that Clyde Coopers BBQ is pretty good, but I never actually ate there.

In my opinion eastern NC BBQ is pretty abrasive with all that distilled vinegar, and it just wrecks an entire meal. One of the main reasons I learned how to BBQ was because I couldn't find any decent BBQ at restaurants. Everything is just soaking in distilled vinegar and that's such an unappealing flavor for people, like myself, who didn't grow up drinking vinegar with my Sunday dinners.

Congrats to your son for kicking butt though and I hope he performs well!
Old 07-26-2019, 01:22 AM   #8
Tricky
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks all -- if there is any specific type of local/regional speciality I should try let me know. But I'm assuming its really just pulled pork with a Lexington dip style thin vinegar sauce. I like that just fine -- but have had so much of it (I make my own) that I'm hankerin' for something new.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:26 AM   #9
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
Thanks all -- if there is any specific type of local/regional speciality I should try let me know. But I'm assuming its really just pulled pork with a Lexington dip style thin vinegar sauce. I like that just fine -- but have had so much of it (I make my own) that I'm hankerin' for something new.
Lexington style is more in the western side of the state...in Raleigh / Durham there will be no tomato in the sauce at all...it is just straight distilled white vinegar. If you're lucky you'll find a place using apple cider vinegar, but outside of Skylight Inn / Sam Jone's BBQ I haven't found a place out here doing that.
Old 07-26-2019, 06:04 AM   #10
Monkey Uncle
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBoarBBQ View Post
There's really not much...I went to school in Raleigh (NC State) and most of the BBQ I tried out there was pretty poor.

The Pit was not too bad, but not really something I would recommend. High prices and decent enough food, but nothing that really amazed or wowed me.

I've heard that Clyde Coopers BBQ is pretty good, but I never actually ate there.

In my opinion eastern NC BBQ is pretty abrasive with all that distilled vinegar, and it just wrecks an entire meal. One of the main reasons I learned how to BBQ was because I couldn't find any decent BBQ at restaurants. Everything is just soaking in distilled vinegar and that's such an unappealing flavor for people, like myself, who didn't grow up drinking vinegar with my Sunday dinners.

Congrats to your son for kicking butt though and I hope he performs well!

Eastern NC BBQ can be fantastic if it's done right - cooked over hardwood coals with just a splash of finishing sauce during chopping. Unfortunately many of the eastern NC Q joints switched to gas and thought they could make up for the lack of flavor by using more sauce. There's no excuse for a restaurant pouring on so much vinegar that that's all you taste.

It's been a long time since I lived in eastern NC, so I'm out of touch with the BBQ scene there now. I would say take a side trip to Goldsboro, but I heard that Wilber's closed down recently. What a shame - they did eastern style Q the right way. I never made it to the Skylight Inn, but it sounds like that might be one of the only places left that does it right. Come to think of it, didn't Sam Jones open a place in the Raleigh area recently?
Monkey Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 07-26-2019, 06:28 AM   #11
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Uncle View Post
Eastern NC BBQ can be fantastic if it's done right - cooked over hardwood coals with just a splash of finishing sauce during chopping. Unfortunately many of the eastern NC Q joints switched to gas and thought they could make up for the lack of flavor by using more sauce. There's no excuse for a restaurant pouring on so much vinegar that that's all you taste.

It's been a long time since I lived in eastern NC, so I'm out of touch with the BBQ scene there now. I would say take a side trip to Goldsboro, but I heard that Wilber's closed down recently. What a shame - they did eastern style Q the right way. I never made it to the Skylight Inn, but it sounds like that might be one of the only places left that does it right. Come to think of it, didn't Sam Jones open a place in the Raleigh area recently?
Skylight Inn and Sam Jones BBQ (Greenville, NC) do it right...still cooking whole hog over wood coals, and then after it's chopped they add their flavoring ingredients : apple cider vinegar, salt, black pepper, and hot sauce. They also use the apple cider vinegar sparingly and it gives the pork a nice twang without being a full on vinegar-bomb. Something they do that others don't is they crisp up the skin and then mix into the chopped pork...amazing!

Wilburs did indeed shut down and so has most of the long time places around here. Whole hog BBQ is just not very profitable and with Carolina farmers being sued left and right the hog supply isn't what it used to be.

I've eaten at maybe 20 different places out here and Sam Jones / Skylight Inn are just about the only exception to the vinegar-bomb in my experience. I serve BBQ lunch on a Marine Corps base (Camp Lejeune) and SOOOOO many people come to my truck and ask about the pork...when I tell them it's NOT eastern NC style their eyes and face light up like a Christmas tree. haha Oddly enough most of my regulars are from Texas and Florida.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:54 AM   #12
kevrol
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
Oh, we’ll be flying in and out of RDU but will actually be heading to Greensboro once we’re there, so I’m interested in joints in that area too (and along the way to and from). Thanks
Sent you a PM with some Greensboro recs.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:03 AM   #13
rmoorejr
Found some matches.

Q Shack in Durham to me is the most consistent Q around. Bbq is good and brisket is consistently good and there smoked sausage is very good. they offer several variety of sauces. They have excellent sides also. I live 40 minutes away and still drive there regularly @ corner of 15 501 and university drive. Another Greensboro country bbq to me on Wendover Ave (there are 2) is the best in Greenboro. I get the coarse chopped and is very good. Ribs not so good. A little up the road in Lexington is Speedy's Bbq is great and be prepared to eat it's a lot.
rmoorejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 07-26-2019, 07:02 PM   #14
ShadowDriver
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marc

If you're able to make it over to Lexington, as SmoothBoar mentioned... I HIGHLY recommend a family favorite:

Lexington Barbecue (aka "Honeymonk's")

100 Smokehouse Ln, Lexington, NC 27295

HUGE congratulations to your son! Have fun as the Proud Papa.... and safe travels.

Toss us some Pr0n as able.... please.
[B]Hardware[/B] - Weber 22.5 Kettle (Sep '16), OK Joe Longhorn (Mar '17), UUNI 3 Pizza Oven (Jan '18 ), Blue Rhino Razor Griddle (May '19), Cajun Bandit 22.5 Roti (Aug '20), Weber 26.75 Kettle (Dec '20)
ShadowDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:34 PM   #15
Tricky
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks brothers! Can’t wait for the competition and the food! I get really pumped for him when he’s competing but I have to keep a calm demeanor or it gets him stressed out. So When he and I talk about the trip we mostly talk about where we are going to eat!